View Full Version : To all of you in the Great White North

Red
07-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Happy Canada Day :bjump: :bdance:

Newton
07-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Happy Canada Day :)

Yeah I looked it up ..

On June 20, 1868, a proclamation signed by the Governor General, Lord Monck, called upon all Her Majesty's loving subjects throughout Canada to join in the celebration of the anniversary of the formation of the union of the British North America provinces in a federation under the name of Canada on July 1st

EroticySteve
07-01-2005, 10:17 AM
It seems that most Canadian holidays correllate to an American Holiday.

They have Canada Day.
We have Independence Day.

They have Victoria Day
We have Memorial Day

They have Thanksgiving
We have Thanksgiving

They have Labour Day
We have Labor Day

They have Remembrance Day
We have Veterans Day

The Canadians also have Boxing Day and a Civic Holiday that we don't observe in the US. So they have some original ones. But Boxing Day is celebrated elsewhere too right?

Peaches
07-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by EroticySteve@Jul 1 2005, 10:18 AM
But Boxing Day is celebrated elsewhere too right?
You got Boxing Day from your British founders :) It's also celebrated in Australia and New Zealand.

Evil Chris
07-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Happy Canada Day eh.

Trev
07-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Peaches+Jul 1 2005, 03:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Jul 1 2005, 03:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EroticySteve@Jul 1 2005, 10:18 AM
But Boxing Day is celebrated elsewhere too right?
You got Boxing Day from your British founders :) It's also celebrated in Australia and New Zealand. [/b][/quote]
Boxing day is needed to get over Christmas dinner and too much booze :)

DollarManSteve
07-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by EroticySteve@Jul 1 2005, 06:18 AM
It seems that most Canadian holidays correllate to an American Holiday.

They have Canada Day.
We have Independence Day.

They have Victoria Day
We have Memorial Day

They have Thanksgiving
We have Thanksgiving

They have Labour Day
We have Labor Day

They have Remembrance Day
We have Veterans Day

The Canadians also have Boxing Day and a Civic Holiday that we don't observe in the US. So they have some original ones. But Boxing Day is celebrated elsewhere too right?
I was just about to fly off the handle but ive reconsidered and will give you the benefit of the doubt.

I am going to assume that all you were saying is that there is a correlation between when Canadian and American holidays occur and not implying that somehow Americans 'invented' certain holidays and that Canadians are 'copying'.

Some do occur by chance (Canada day vs. independence day), others are at the same time but unrelated (Victoria day vs. memorial day), and some are the same (labour day and remembrance/veterans day - which occur on Nov 11th for obvious reasons).

I can't wait for civic holiday.. what a great celebration of.... civic-ness :huh:

Now, everyone together - "Ohhhhh Canada, our home and native land..."

Happy Beer Day.. I mean Canada day.