PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning Oprano

Red
06-30-2005, 09:29 AM
1841 - The Erie Railroad rolled out its first passenger train on this day.

1921 President Warren G. Harding appointed former president William H. Taft chief justice of the United States.

1939 - Frank Sinatra made his first appearance with Harry James’ band. Sinatra was center stage at the Hippodrome Theatre in Baltimore, MD, where he sang My Love for You.

1936 Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind was published.

1953 - The first Corvette rolled off the Chevrolet assembly line in Flint, MI. That early ’Vette sold for $3,250.

1962 - Los Angeles Dodger’s star Sandy Koufax pitched his first no-hitter in a game with the New York Mets. Koufax would toss three more no-hit games before retiring in 1966.

1971 The 26th Amendment, which lowered the voting age to 18, was ratified by the states.

1985 - The creator of the Twinkie, James A. Dewar, died on this day. Mr. Dewar created the treat in 1930. Many say that Twinkies will stay fresh almost forever. In fact, many bomb shelters in the 1960s were furnished with stockpiles of Hostess Twinkies just for that reason. More than 45 billion of the soft, cream-filled, sponge cakes have been sold.

MorganGrayson
06-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Good morning, Red! :bwave:

I had such an amazing crush on Sandy Koufax when I was a kid. :inlove:

Bhelliom
06-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Morning all... I love corvettes

1908, the Tunguska meteorite landed in Siberia, Devastating more than 7800 square kms.

1909, Roman Catholic Pontifical Biblical Commission issued a decree interpreting the first elen chapters of Genesis as history, not myth.

1930, Allied forces completed their evacuation of the Rhineland, which they had occupied since WWI

1936, Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell was first published.

This one is for computer guys

1948, Three scientists from Bell Telephone Laboratories demonstrated their new invention to replace the vacuum tube - the transistor. They were awarded the Nobel Prize for their work.

1963, Pope Paul VI was crowned the 262nd head of the Roman Catholic Church

1966, Mike Tyson was born

1975, Cher and Greg Allman of the Allman Brothers were married. She had been divorced from Sonny Bono only several days. Nine days after marrying Allman, Cher was again suing for divorce.

1977, Kiss released a comic book of themselves.

1985, Yul Brynner gave his 4625 and final performance in the musical The King and I. Brynner had opened in show on Browadway in 1951

1990, stars such as Paul McCartner, Elton John, and Phil collins helped raise more than $10.5 million for handicapped children and young musicians during a charity concert in England.

2002, Brazil defeated Germany to win soccer's (football's) World cup.

Enjoy and good morning...

dokk
06-30-2005, 10:23 AM
With all those famous things happening this date.. something famous should happen today eh? Cool info, thanks for sharing. ;-)