PDA

View Full Version : Good morning Oprano

Red
06-29-2005, 08:36 AM
On this day, way back when....

The Globe Theater, where most of Shakespeare's plays debuted, burned down on this day in 1613.

1989 Congress votes new sanctions against China
In yet another reaction to the Chinese government's brutal massacre of protesters in Tiananmen Square in Beijing earlier in the month, the House of Representatives unanimously passes a package of sanctions against the People's Republic of China. American indignation, however, was relatively short-lived and most of the sanctions died out after a brief period.

1862 Battle of Savage's Station
Confederate General Robert E. Lee attacks Union General George McClellan as he is pulling his army away from Richmond, Virginia, in retreat during the Seven Days' Battles. Although the Yankees lost 1,000 men—twice as many as the Rebels—they were able to successfully protect the retreat.

Newton
06-29-2005, 08:52 AM
Morning Red ;) The Globe theatre is back to its former glory ;)

http://www.allshakespeare.com/globe/

Red
06-29-2005, 10:10 AM
That's good to know. My college course in Shakespeare was one of my favorites and getting to play Audrey in As You Like It was so much fun.

Bhelliom
06-29-2005, 10:48 AM
ok ok for the record I did give Red full credit to limit any and all infringements :P

now to add my part :P

1888, The first musical recording in Britain was made in London on the occasion of the Handel Festival. The recording was made using Thomas Edison's cylinder phonograph

1925, Canada house in Trafalgar Square in London was opened by King George V.

1927, France formally transferred 100 hectares of property to Canada at Vimy Ridge

1944, Gary Busey Born

1946, British authorities arrest 2700 Jews in Palestine, allegedly to stamp out terrorism.

1949, South Africa officially begins apartheid

1967, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were found guilty in London on drug posession.

1974, Soviet ballet dancer Mikhail Barishnykov defected in Toronto during a Canadian tour

1984, Springsteen began his Born In The USA tour

1996, Canadian Alanis Morrissette joined rock legends Eric Clapton, Ron Woods, Bob Dylan, and The Who to perform for 150, 000 people at London's Hyde Park. The all-day event raised about $1 million for Prince Charles' Prince's Trust charity.

2003, Kartherine Hepburn passed away at age 96

AD 67, The Apostle Paul was beheaded with a sword near Rome, according to tradition.

Hope Red can Forgive me :P

Trev
06-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Good morning to all :)

Thank you to both Red and Bhelliom for my daily history lesson :D

Red
06-29-2005, 10:59 AM
I can forgive you babe. You've obviously got more free time on your hands that I do, so feel free to research and add tidbits. :)

Bhelliom
06-29-2005, 11:04 AM
yeah really... It actually all comes from one website...

same place I get my morning weird news that I post on here.

I'm just your morning weird news and trivia guy on oprano