PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Quality Opinions

EroticySteve
06-17-2005, 07:47 AM
Can anyone offer any general data on the difference in conversion between siteside traffic from banners, buttons and textlinks versus the traffic from exit pop-under and/or pop-ups?

I have an idea of the differece in quality but I'd like to see if anyone else has noticed a significant difference in value/quality between these mediums.

EroticySteve
06-29-2005, 09:37 AM
No love?

*KK*
06-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Banner and button traffic being click-thru on an active surfer action, and the exits/pops being forced to the surfer?

If so I'd guess that the first one outperforms the second one by a large margin.

DrGuile
06-29-2005, 10:13 AM
uh, that's an odd question.

divide the ratio you're getting by the clickthrough you get on banners.... than you can pretty much compare apples to apples...

if you're asking if its comparable straight up? No its not... and duh....

EroticySteve
06-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Let me add this then. Has any one had experience with 404 traffic for a paysite? How did it work for you?

Jeremy
06-29-2005, 11:17 AM
As a very very very rough and approximate guide, it might go something like this (maybe :-0) ):

Banners / Buttons / Text = 1/500

(this will be affected amongst other factors by inbound traffic quality, niche match, page position, ad style, qualification, shave, hit count and amount of pre-selling).

Blind Banners / Links = 1/2500

(this will be affected amongst other factors by inbound traffic quality, niche match, page position, ad style, shave, hit count).

Popups = 1/5000

(this will be affected amongst other factors by, position in the console chain, aggressiveness of the console, inbound traffic quality, niche match, page position, ad style, shave, hit count, qualification and amount of pre-selling).

404s = likely to be roughly equivalent to popups, but be very wary of buying rejected, non-billable, foreign traffic.

Lee
06-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Jeremy@Jun 29 2005, 07:18 AM
As a very very very rough and approximate guide, it might go something like this (maybe :-0) ):

Banners / Buttons / Text = 1/500

(this will be affected amongst other factors by inbound traffic quality, niche match, page position, ad style, qualification, shave, hit count and amount of pre-selling).

Blind Banners / Links = 1/2500

(this will be affected amongst other factors by inbound traffic quality, niche match, page position, ad style, shave, hit count).

Popups = 1/5000

(this will be affected amongst other factors by, position in the console chain, aggressiveness of the console, inbound traffic quality, niche match, page position, ad style, shave, hit count, qualification and amount of pre-selling).

404s = likely to be roughly equivalent to popups, but be very wary of buying rejected, non-billable, foreign traffic.
Id say that was a reasonable assessment however, it also differs greatly on the quality of the tour / site that it is being sent to.

For example, a teen site using baby blue colors, imho, is going to convert slightly better than a teen site using reds and blacks.

I think many in the industry today expect traffic to convert well irrespective of where it is being sent without doing some portion of testing the traffic beforehand.

Non the less, for 'general' (mixed source) traffic of equal quantities id say your figures were about right :)

Jeremy
06-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Lee@Jun 29 2005, 07:22 AM
however, it also differs greatly on the quality of the tour / site that it is being sent to.

For example, a teen site using baby blue colors, imho, is going to convert slightly better than a teen site using reds and blacks.

You're quite right.

Can I claim they were in the "amongst other factors" bit??? :-))))) I had forgotten to include the Traffic Receiving side of things in the variables - Tour Quality (tour type, style, layout, leaks etc), Processors etc.

Personally though I tend to pay comparatively much more attention to the $ Banked column.