PDA

View Full Version : Google now valued at US$ 80 billion

Nickatilynx
06-09-2005, 12:48 PM
thats crazy...

Newton
06-09-2005, 01:08 PM
you gotta love it ;) http://today.reuters.co.uk/stocks/QuoteCom...1-Jun-2005+RTRS (http://today.reuters.co.uk/stocks/QuoteCompanyNewsArticle.aspx?view=CN&symbol=YHOO.O&storyID=264580+01-Jun-2005+RTRS)

Biggy
06-09-2005, 01:12 PM
very crazy.

but they are also a crazy company, and are owning the SE game :)

Steady
06-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Smart guys...they have a gold mine.

you got to had it to them. :wnw:

Trev
06-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Google have made some very clever moves from their get-go, moving wisely into every available area.

US$80 Billion just proves that Google are one of the best dancers at this party.

Almighty Colin
06-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Overvalued. It's not worth half that by any normal metric.

Steady
06-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Trev@Jun 9 2005, 09:20 AM
Google have made some very clever moves from their get-go, moving wisely into every available area.

US$80 Billion just proves that Google are one of the best dancers at this party.

best dancers at the party, and they host the party. :o

TheEnforcer
06-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Insane but very cool. The dot com bubble was an interesting phenomenon and one that could have been sustained at a lowe level had people not gone crazy. Some good domain names took it up the ass because of piss poor decisions.

Almighty Colin
06-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Jun 9 2005, 12:39 PM
Insane but very cool. The dot com bubble was an interesting phenomenon and one that could have been sustained at a lowe level had people not gone crazy. Some good domain names took it up the ass because of piss poor decisions.
How much would you pay today for WebVan? Etoys? EPets? Mortgage.com?

Trev
06-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin+Jun 9 2005, 06:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Almighty Colin @ Jun 9 2005, 06:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheEnforcer@Jun 9 2005, 12:39 PM
How much would you pay today for WebVan? Etoys? EPets? Mortgage.com? [/b][/quote]
$6.50 :)

DollarManSteve
06-09-2005, 02:27 PM
From my days in the stockmarket biz, all I have to say is this:

"The market can stay irrational far longer than you or I can stay solvent"

Almighty Colin
06-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by DollarManSteve@Jun 9 2005, 01:28 PM
From my days in the stockmarket biz, all I have to say is this:

"The market can stay irrational far longer than you or I can stay solvent"
That's exactly why I don't short "overvalued" products.

Rolo
06-09-2005, 02:38 PM
http://news.com.com/Wall+Street+still+love..._3-5737630.html (http://news.com.com/Wall+Street+still+loves+its+rebel+Google/2100-1030_3-5737630.html)

Good article on the Google stock, however I do not think its fair to compare Google with the other large media companies. IMO, Google is a technology company, which should be compared with Microsoft... well atleast that is the only comparison that will give hope to those who are buying Google stocks now :awinky:

Almighty Colin
06-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Rolo@Jun 9 2005, 01:39 PM
http://news.com.com/Wall+Street+still+love..._3-5737630.html (http://news.com.com/Wall+Street+still+loves+its+rebel+Google/2100-1030_3-5737630.html)

Good article on the Google stock, however I do not think its fair to compare Google with the other large media companies. IMO, Google is a technology company, which should be compared with Microsoft... well atleast that is the only comparison that will give hope to those who are buying Google stocks now :awinky:
It reads like all the articles in the 90s about stocks that might actually deserve to have a PE of more than 100.

Oh, Google is an excellent company but let's not forget that despite being a great company Yahoo has lost more than 2/3 of its value since 2000. That for a company with earnings growth of more than 40% per year for the past half decade.

People are being, mmmm, excuse me ... irrationally exuberant about this stock.

slavdogg
06-10-2005, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin+Jun 9 2005, 12:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Almighty Colin @ Jun 9 2005, 12:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheEnforcer@Jun 9 2005, 12:39 PM
How much would you pay today for WebVan? Etoys? EPets? Mortgage.com? [/b][/quote]
i'd pay crazy 7 figures for Mortgage.com
probably the best domain name bar none

slavdogg
06-10-2005, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Rolo@Jun 9 2005, 01:39 PM

i agree Google is a technology company thats FAR ahead of Yahoo its main competitor and is going after Microsfot

I had meetings 2 weeks ago with both Google and Yahoo
IMO Yahoo got smart monkeys from Holywood running the show
while Google has some very tech savy computer geeks automatings things

Almighty Colin
06-10-2005, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by slavdogg+Jun 10 2005, 02:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slavdogg @ Jun 10 2005, 02:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Almighty Colin@Jun 9 2005, 12:49 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-TheEnforcer@Jun 9 2005, 12:39 PM
How much would you pay today for WebVan? Etoys? EPets? Mortgage.com?
i'd pay crazy 7 figures for Mortgage.com
probably the best domain name bar none [/b][/quote]
Haha. I only meant the stock ;-) It was delisted.

Timon
06-10-2005, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin@Jun 9 2005, 12:22 PM
Overvalued. It's not worth half that by any normal metric.
What goes up must come down, gravity is a bitch ;-)

clubta
06-10-2005, 08:59 AM
The Bubble will burst soon..

Google and Yahoo! and other search engines say they have anti-fraud systems in place and that they regularly give advertisers refunds for fraudulent clicks.

However, they have been sketchy with details, causing some advertisers to worry that the problem is bigger than they are being told.

Google has reason to be nervous. Paid-search advertising generates about 98 percent of its revenues.

Google CFO: Fraud a big threat
Google exec calls click fraud the "biggest threat" to the Internet economy, urges quick action.

"Google has been the most stubborn and the least willing to cooperate with advertisers"
really can ANY advertiser call google..?? I call Yahoo (overture) every other day..

"I think something has to be done about this really, really quickly, because I think, potentially, it threatens our business model," Google Chief Financial Officer George Reyes said Wednesday.

read more about the bubble and why it will burst...
http://www.clickfraudlawyer.com

until then google is at the top of the se game 4-sure..

DollarManSteve
06-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Rolo@Jun 9 2005, 10:39 AM
[Good article on the Google stock, however I do not think its fair to compare Google with the other large media companies. IMO, Google is a technology company, which should be compared with Microsoft... well atleast that is the only comparison that will give hope to those who are buying Google stocks now :awinky:
A peaceful rebuttal: I think it is more than fair to compate google to other large media companies. A company 'is' what its business 'is'. Yes, google has amazing, cutting edge, industry leading technology and R&D thats probably up there with HP, IBM and 3M. However, its plain-old advertising that pays the bills. This stock will eventually behave like other large media conglomorates. Once revenues flatten out they will become cyclical as the advertising business is heavily tied to economic growth. Yes, Google may be less susceptible because they have global reach, but, economic downturns are becoming increasingly correlated across boders, ie there is no guarantee that a downturn in US economic growth and the subsequent decrease is advertising spending will be offset by growth in non-US business.

Apart from fundamental issues (and for those of you who ascribe to efficient market theory) Here is a technical breakdown: the GOOG chart is not really all that scary. Id say it is only slightly 'overvalued' on a technical basis with a short term correction due to the $250 range (about a 10% correction). Until the long-term trend line is broken on the downside, I would say that 'irrationality' (basied on findamental valuations) is winning right now and 'the trend is your friend'.

Disclaimer: This is not investing advice of any kind, I am not responsible for anything you may or may not do after reading this :)

EroticySteve
06-17-2005, 07:50 AM
I'm glad I bought those 10,000 shares at the IPO......... (pinches himself and wakes up)

Damn, I wish I could have been able to afford one share at the IPO.

Almighty Colin
06-17-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by DollarManSteve@Jun 10 2005, 10:29 AM
Id say it is only slightly 'overvalued' on a technical basis with a short term correction due to the $250 range (about a 10% correction). Until the long-term trend line is broken on the downside, I would say that 'irrationality' (basied on findamental valuations) is winning right now and 'the trend is your friend'.
10% down to $250? OK, you are counting from $278.

I'll double your downside. Google shareholders will see sub $222.

DollarManSteve
06-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin+Jun 17 2005, 04:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Almighty Colin @ Jun 17 2005, 04:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DollarManSteve@Jun 10 2005, 10:29 AM
Id say it is only slightly 'overvalued' on a technical basis with a short term correction due to the $250 range (about a 10% correction). Until the long-term trend line is broken on the downside, I would say that 'irrationality' (basied on findamental valuations) is winning right now and 'the trend is your friend'.
10% down to $250? OK, you are counting from $278.

I'll double your downside. Google shareholders will see sub $222. [/b][/quote]
$250 is about where the trend line is at (and yes, it was when goog was at $278), if the upward trend is to continue, it would have to stay above that level. If the trend line is broken, there is no telling how far down it could go.

Almighty Colin
06-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by DollarManSteve@Jun 17 2005, 09:22 AM
$250 is about where the trend line is at (and yes, it was when goog was at $278), if the upward trend is to continue, it would have to stay above that level. If the trend line is broken, there is no telling how far down it could go.
So to summarize:

You just said that if it goes up it will go up but that if it does down there is no telling how
far it will go down. I'll agree with that but not a very bold forecast. ;-)

DollarManSteve
06-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin+Jun 17 2005, 06:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Almighty Colin @ Jun 17 2005, 06:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DollarManSteve@Jun 17 2005, 09:22 AM
So to summarize:

You just said that if it goes up it will go up but that if it does down there is no telling how
far it will go down. I'll agree with that but not a very bold forecast. ;-) [/b][/quote]
Well, that would be the layman's way of summarizing it.

http://www.stockcharts.com/education/Chart...ndlesticks.html (http://www.stockcharts.com/education/ChartAnalysis/candlesticks.html)

http://www.stockta.com/cgi-bin/analysis.pl...and=&mode=stock (http://www.stockta.com/cgi-bin/analysis.pl?symb=GOOG&num1=2&cobrand=&mode=stock)

Here are two links. The first is a little tutorial on technical analysis (TA) and specifically candlestick charts (my personal fav). The second is a candlestick chart of GOOG.

You can see the current upward trend began in mid april and has been very strong. The $250 support level is very, very strong (sits on the 60 day exponential moving average.. which is a weighted moving average), Hence, this is a critical support level, and if broken suggests downside which could see the $180 - $200 level.

In terms of a Fibonacci sequence, I would say that we are 4/5ths of the way through (A full cycle has 5 legs on the upside - 3 up 2 down and 3 on the downside down-up-down). You can see that beginning in april we hand an upleg, then a down-neutral spot, then an up to near $300 and a minor down to $275-ish, the final leg would have to break through the high (resistance at $310 - which as been tested).

Anyway, this could get complicated and boring. TA is really fun and for those of you who trade I suggest you learn candlesticks, where a picture truly says a thousand words (a thousand dollars? :P). Anyone who wants to chat about the markets can always contact me, I love to talk shop (well, my old 'shop' anyway)

Almighty Colin
06-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by DollarManSteve+Jun 17 2005, 10:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DollarManSteve @ Jun 17 2005, 10:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Almighty Colin@Jun 17 2005, 06:42 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-DollarManSteve@Jun 17 2005, 09:22 AM
So to summarize:

far it will go down. I'll agree with that but not a very bold forecast. ;-)
Well, that would be the layman's way of summarizing it.

http://www.stockcharts.com/education/Chart...ndlesticks.html (http://www.stockcharts.com/education/ChartAnalysis/candlesticks.html)

http://www.stockta.com/cgi-bin/analysis.pl...and=&mode=stock (http://www.stockta.com/cgi-bin/analysis.pl?symb=GOOG&num1=2&cobrand=&mode=stock)

Here are two links. The first is a little tutorial on technical analysis (TA) and specifically candlestick charts (my personal fav). The second is a candlestick chart of GOOG.

You can see the current upward trend began in mid april and has been very strong. The $250 support level is very, very strong (sits on the 60 day exponential moving average.. which is a weighted moving average), Hence, this is a critical support level, and if broken suggests downside which could see the $180 - $200 level.

In terms of a Fibonacci sequence, I would say that we are 4/5ths of the way through (A full cycle has 5 legs on the upside - 3 up 2 down and 3 on the downside down-up-down). You can see that beginning in april we hand an upleg, then a down-neutral spot, then an up to near $300 and a minor down to $275-ish, the final leg would have to break through the high (resistance at $310 - which as been tested).

Anyway, this could get complicated and boring. TA is really fun and for those of you who trade I suggest you learn candlesticks, where a picture truly says a thousand words (a thousand dollars? :P). Anyone who wants to chat about the markets can always contact me, I love to talk shop (well, my old 'shop' anyway) [/b][/quote]
You said that "if the upward trend is to continue, it would have to stay above that level. If the trend line is broken, there is no telling how far down it could go." Yeah,that's brilliant. What you are predicting will be right no matter what happens! If it goes up you are right because the trend continues. If it goes down, well "no one can tell us how low".

Now, are you going to make a bolder prediction than "if the price goes up it will go up and if it goes down it will go down" or are you just going to sit there waving your hands and playing both sides of the fence?

DollarManSteve
06-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin@Jun 17 2005, 07:48 AM
Now, are you going to make a bolder prediction than "if the price goes up it will go up and if it goes down it will go down" or are you just going to sit there waving your hands and playing both sides of the fence?
Hey Colin,

Im not tryin' to argue or anything, nor am I trying to make 100% accurate predictions - Im just trying to share some of my passion for stockmarket TA.

If I was saying what you are suggesting ie 'if it goes up it will go up.. etc' (as you are interpreting it) then yes, that would be ridiculous. But, TA is very tightly tied to specific values, not just general 'ups and downs'.

If you arent actually interested in anything Im saying and the articles I posted on TA, then this is a redundant conversation. Im posting for the benefit of those who would like to learn something about TA, because its something I did for a long time and something that I used to be professionally accredited to do.

As I said before, if you'd like to talk in detail about anything Im trying to explain, please hit me up on ICQ or something, as this isnt a stockmarket board.

peace out.

Almighty Colin
06-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by DollarManSteve+Jun 17 2005, 10:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DollarManSteve @ Jun 17 2005, 10:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Almighty Colin@Jun 17 2005, 07:48 AM
Hey Colin,

Im not tryin' to argue or anything, nor am I trying to make 100% accurate predictions - Im just trying to share some of my passion for stockmarket TA.

If I was saying what you are suggesting ie 'if it goes up it will go up.. etc' (as you are interpreting it) then yes, that would be ridiculous. But, TA is very tightly tied to specific values, not just general 'ups and downs'.

If you arent actually interested in anything Im saying and the articles I posted on TA, then this is a redundant conversation. Im posting for the benefit of those who would like to learn something about TA, because its something I did for a long time and something that I used to be professionally accredited to do.

As I said before, if you'd like to talk in detail about anything Im trying to explain, please hit me up on ICQ or something, as this isnt a stockmarket board.

peace out. [/b][/quote]
I know exactly what you are saying, Steve. I count Wig and Jonas as good friends. They both post here and are both TA enthusiasts. Jonas also uses candlesticks and was licensed.

That doesn't change the fact that your statement- as it stands - is completely unverifiable by a neutral party.

DollarManSteve
06-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin@Jun 17 2005, 08:04 AM
I know exactly what you are saying, Steve. I count Wig and Jonas as good friends. They both post here and are both TA enthusiasts. Jonas also uses candlesticks and was licensed.

That doesn't change the fact that your statement- as it stands - is completely unverifiable by a neutral party.
Ok, well then I dont know what part of what I said is so ambiguous. All I said was that the trend line suggests near-term support at $250, so if that is broken then there will be increased downside risk. If it tests $250 and stays there, then that is a strong buy signal. If it tests its highs repeatedly and fails to break through, that is a strong sell signal.