PDA

View Full Version : MySQL databases

Trev
06-04-2005, 06:26 PM
For someone running a MySQL db on a virtual setup are there tools other than phpMyAdmin?

Hell Puppy
06-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Turn the listener on, grab the MySQL ODBC driver, and you can access it from any GUI SQL tool for Windows.

Trev
06-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy@Jun 4 2005, 11:32 PM
Turn the listener on, grab the MySQL ODBC driver, and you can access it from any GUI SQL tool for Windows.
Cheers HP :)

I think I should have been more specific, my bad for posting in a hurry.

Here’s a better grip on what I’m looking for:

I want to have users gain access to their MySQL database through a browser based program, but I feel phpMyAdmin would overcome most... are there any other options?

:)

venturi
06-04-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm not aware of any, Trev. But here's a question I would pose back to you...

If your users on said virtual box are likely to get intimidated/overwhelmed by phpMyAdmin - do you really want them wanking around with mySQL? :blink:

Trev
06-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by venturi@Jun 5 2005, 12:24 AM
I'm not aware of any, Trev. But here's a question I would pose back to you...

If your users on said virtual box are likely to get intimidated/overwhelmed by phpMyAdmin - do you really want them wanking around with mySQL? :blink:
hmmm... good point!

Going back to re-think my plan :(

Inabon
06-04-2005, 08:02 PM
dude php myadmin is perfectly safe i use it for my vhosts no problems. you can go as safe as using mysql front which is a windows client however you may not want a mysql port open on your box cause it is easy to flood it.

if you need help LMK

p.s. it is easy to use even for dumb asses. if they are learning mysql they can only fuck up their own shit.

they wont know how to do big ass malformed queries that bring down a whole dbase and most plug in scripts are pretty safe.

Hell Puppy
06-05-2005, 04:11 AM
I dont know of anything other than phpmyadmin that is even close. You could scale it back a little bit by enabling only the permissions the users really need (select only perhaps?).

If they need more than that and cant figure out phpmyadmin, i would tend to agree that I wouldn't want them messing around in the database.

Trev
06-05-2005, 05:17 AM
Thanks guys :)

I figured phpMyAdmin was the best out there, I think I'll be dropping the idea of allowing users the access to the database...

Well for now anyway :)

Inabon
06-05-2005, 07:14 PM
but but but how or what are these guys doing i mean i you have soo much doubt they are either really dumb or there is only 1 dbase.

however it is your choice but if i was you and your users were customers i would give it a shot. just isolate thier dbase. mysql engine is very resistent trust me i have seen boldy beat it to 2k queries per second and still let me do shit in it.

j

Trev
06-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Inabon@Jun 6 2005, 12:15 AM
but but but how or what are these guys doing i mean i you have soo much doubt they are either really dumb or there is only 1 dbase.

however it is your choice but if i was you and your users were customers i would give it a shot. just isolate thier dbase. mysql engine is very resistent trust me i have seen boldy beat it to 2k queries per second and still let me do shit in it.

j
I'm wanting to allow users to modify their db (every user has a db of their own), add tables etc. When thinking about why I want this I find I'm backing myself away from the idea because it's not a great need... it might be, but just not yet...

Plus if they cant figure cooltext then I'm moving far too fast :(

NickPapageorgio
06-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Can't you write a php script that is a bit more "vanilla" and query the db from the script interface? Atleast that way, you control what and HOW they access the db's.

Trev
06-06-2005, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by NickPapageorgio@Jun 6 2005, 02:31 AM
Can't you write a php script that is a bit more "vanilla" and query the db from the script interface? Atleast that way, you control what and HOW they access the db's.
Now there's an idea, cheers :okthumb:

sarettah
06-08-2005, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Trev+Jun 6 2005, 04:58 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Jun 6 2005, 04:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NickPapageorgio@Jun 6 2005, 02:31 AM
Now there's an idea, cheers :okthumb: [/b][/quote]
I know someone who could do that for you.

It would probably take about two weeks :yowsa:

Seriously though, hit me up after Sunday... :okthumb: