PDA

View Full Version : Why, Why, Why

iknowalttl
06-03-2005, 09:44 AM
I have a couple domian names acting a bit weird... one of them resolves properly with the www and not when you leave it off, and another one of them resolves properly without the www and not when you add it. I have moved the accounts where they are registered but I did not change registars, I wouldn't think this would affect them. For example, traditionalcycles.com resolves properly without the www added and fucks up when it is added... adult-stuff.com does the opposite. What would this be all about?

sarettah
06-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by iknowalttl@Jun 3 2005, 08:45 AM
I have a couple domian names acting a bit weird... one of them resolves properly with the www and not when you leave it off, and another one of them resolves properly without the www and not when you add it. I have moved the accounts where they are registered but I did not change registars, I wouldn't think this would affect them. For example, traditionalcycles.com resolves properly without the www added and fucks up when it is added... adult-stuff.com does the opposite. What would this be all about?
Could be either of 2 things (imho)

1. DNS is not set up properly. ie: one of the domains does not have a record for the www. version and vice versa.

2. The config file on the server is not set up properly. The server is set up to answer up for the www. version only or vice versa.

Or it could just be an issue of the DNS not having cycled fully and somewhere you are hitting a DNS server that has a cached record that needs to be updated yet. This one would clear it self out inside of 72 hours max imho.

Trev
06-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by sarettah+Jun 3 2005, 03:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sarettah @ Jun 3 2005, 03:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-iknowalttl@Jun 3 2005, 08:45 AM
Could be either of 2 things (imho)

1. DNS is not set up properly. ie: one of the domains does not have a record for the www. version and vice versa.

2. The config file on the server is not set up properly. The server is set up to answer up for the www. version only or vice versa.

Or it could just be an issue of the DNS not having cycled fully and somewhere you are hitting a DNS server that has a cached record that needs to be updated yet. This one would clear it self out inside of 72 hours max imho. [/b][/quote]
What he said :)

iknowalttl
06-03-2005, 10:24 PM
when I said I moved accounts I didn't mean host... I just moved within my registrar from a customer account to a resellers account...

I had a customer account with a domain reseller. Due to a couple problems that couldn't seem to get straightened out in over a week, I figured out who the top seller was and contacted them about my problem. Took all of 5 mins to clear it up. So I decided to setup my own resellers account there and move the domains to this account.

I just didn't figure this would come into play as far as circulating through the system and thought it may be a setting in the domain control. I am pretty much unexperianced and uninformed in the settings for cname, A records and such.

Trev
06-04-2005, 10:20 AM
The traditionalcycles.com domain is loading both with and without the www.

but the adult-stuff.com only loads the cPanel page without the www. I can only assume that one of the settings in cPanel is missing for the domain to resolve without www.