Very nice, photoshop filter?

DrGuile
05-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Newton@May 24 2005, 07:37 PM
That's part of it...

Winetalk.com
05-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by DrGuile+May 25 2005, 09:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrGuile @ May 25 2005, 09:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Newton@May 24 2005, 07:37 PM
That's part of it... [/b][/quote]
...than it ain't art....

Nickatilynx
05-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Winetalk.com+May 25 2005, 06:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Winetalk.com @ May 25 2005, 06:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by DrGuile@May 25 2005, 09:05 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Newton@May 24 2005, 07:37 PM
That's part of it...
...than it ain't art.... [/b][/quote]
Why?

NickPapageorgio
05-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx+May 25 2005, 06:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nickatilynx @ May 25 2005, 06:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Winetalk.com@May 25 2005, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by DrGuile@May 25 2005, 09:05 AM
That's part of it...
...than it ain't art....
Why? [/b][/quote]
Cause some pompous asshole didn't charge $30,000 for it. ;)

NickPapageorgio
05-25-2005, 10:57 AM
That's not art...

...but some nitwit melting cheese all over an apartment is.:rolleyes:

If you like it, and it makes you feel good when you look at it, then it's art. I don't give a shit what the critics say. Art is yours and is undefined.

Steady
05-25-2005, 11:00 AM
What a nice pussy kitty... :)

DrGuile
05-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by NickPapageorgio+May 25 2005, 09:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NickPapageorgio @ May 25 2005, 09:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Nickatilynx@May 25 2005, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Winetalk.com@May 25 2005, 06:19 AM
That's part of it...
...than it ain't art....
Why?
Cause some pompous asshole didn't charge $30,000 for it. ;) [/b][/quote]
I dont believe that's Sergei's problem. He seems to really enjoy his son's paintaing and Im sure no one is charging 30k for them.

But no one will argue that photography is art...

Im really happy with how my picture turned out... I was trying to capture the pure abandon my cat had. And than, I used black and white and the dry brush effect to soften up the feel of the image, make it real comfy...

NickPapageorgio
05-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by DrGuile+May 25 2005, 07:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrGuile @ May 25 2005, 07:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by NickPapageorgio@May 25 2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@May 25 2005, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Winetalk.com@May 25 2005, 06:19 AM
That's part of it...
...than it ain't art....
Why?
Cause some pompous asshole didn't charge $30,000 for it. ;)
I dont believe that's Sergei's problem. He seems to really enjoy his son's paintaing and Im sure no one is charging 30k for them.

Than why wouldnt a manipulated picture be art?

Look in the magazine "Photo" (great mag), Id say at least 50% of pictures have been 'retouched'

Im really happy with how my picture turned out... I was trying to capture the pure abandon my cat had. And than, I used black and white and the dry brush effect to soften up the feel of the image, make it real comfy... [/b][/quote]
Well that wasn't really directed at Serge so to say. It was more about how some people like to define what art is and what it is not. Melting cheese all over shit in my opinion is retarded , but some call it art. If that can be art, then a retouched photo can surely be art in my opinion.

Art is what you see it as anyway, there is no definition. If it envokes a thought, or a feeling, then it's art to me. And it's everywhere, not just hanging on people's walls or in museums but everywhere I look.

DrGuile
05-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by NickPapageorgio+May 25 2005, 10:21 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NickPapageorgio @ May 25 2005, 10:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DrGuile@May 25 2005, 07:07 AM

Than why wouldnt a manipulated picture be art?

Look in the magazine "Photo" (great mag), Id say at least 50% of pictures have been 'retouched'

Im really happy with how my picture turned out... I was trying to capture the pure abandon my cat had. And than, I used black and white and the dry brush effect to soften up the feel of the image, make it real comfy...
Well that wasn't really directed at Serge so to say. It was more about how some people like to define what art is and what it is not. Melting cheese all over shit in my opinion is retarded , but some call it art. If that can be art, then a retouched photo can surely be art in my opinion.

Art is what you see it as anyway, there is no definition. If it envokes a thought, or a feeling, then it's art to me. And it's everywhere, not just hanging on people's walls or in museums but everywhere I look. [/b][/quote]
I agree. Anything can, to an extent, be considered Art.

In the same train of thought, I can disregard anything as not being art.

If computer involvement discredits a creation to Sergei, that's fine by me... its entirely fair to have your own criterias...

I personally am not a fan of work that is completely abstract...

To each his own, that's what makes discussions interesting...

Nickatilynx
05-25-2005, 11:53 AM
I think as Serge isn't here , what he may have been suggesting is two fold..

Firstly that the use of photoshop techniques detract from the artist value of the peice in the same manner that a poster of an oil painting does not show the depth and structure of the brush strokes.

Secondly art should stimulate some other deeper more "felt" reaction besides that of the visual of the subjects.

Anbd on this I kinda agree.

Its a nice touched up picture of a fat beloved cat....but is it art?

To me it is a picture of a cat sleeping on a sofa.

To you it is art :)

DrGuile
05-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@May 25 2005, 10:54 AM

Firstly that the use of photoshop techniques detract from the artist value of the peice in the same manner that a poster of an oil painting does not show the depth and structure of the brush strokes.

Secondly art should stimulate some other deeper more "felt" reaction besides that of the visual of the subjects.

My disagreement is two fold ;)

1. I did not alter a finished work of art and called my own. The retouched picture is the finished product, not merely a copy or modification (like a poster of a painting).

2. This isnt a picture of a sleeping beloved cat. This is my representation of feelings I had when I saw said cat, in this particular moment, in that particular light. I tried to express different things through this piece... how well are they expressed? Will the same emotions be raised in another viewer?

Who knows, this relativity is what makes the beauty of art...

p.s.: I hate that stupid cat. Its my gf's cat...

Nickatilynx
05-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile+May 25 2005, 08:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrGuile @ May 25 2005, 08:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@May 25 2005, 10:54 AM

My disagreement is two fold ;)

1. I did not alter a finished work of art and called my own. The retouched picture is the finished product, not merely a copy or modification (like a poster of a painting).

2. This isnt a picture of a sleeping beloved cat. This is my representation of feelings I had when I saw said cat, in this particular moment, in that particular light. I tried to express different things through this piece... how well are they expressed? Will the same emotions be raised in another viewer?

Who knows, this relativity is what makes the beauty of art...

p.s.: I hate that stupid cat. Its my gf's cat... [/b][/quote]
I think that post was art.

Welcome to pseuds corner :)

DrGuile
05-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@May 25 2005, 11:11 AM

I think that post was art.

Welcome to pseuds corner :)
The king is naked!

Trev
05-25-2005, 12:23 PM
You broke the board!!

Does your Photoshop not resize :blink:

Winetalk.com
05-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by NickPapageorgio@May 25 2005, 10:21 AM

Art is what you see it as anyway, there is no definition. If it envokes a thought, or a feeling, then it's art to me. And it's everywhere, not just hanging on people's walls or in museums but everywhere I look.
I am with you...after visiting Miro's museum in Barcelona, I can honestly attest....
shit on the stick ain't art, even if 200 critics say so...it's still shit on the stick.

DrGuille, I stand corrected, this isn't art, it's Photoshop Art.....not bad for retouched, manipulated picture (I know some manipulated wines, which fit the same profile, but "terroir wise..."

oh well, EVERYBODY have their own opinions about art and it's all good*.

*- opinions, NOT art
:)