PDA

View Full Version : Toney to lose title - Steroids in system

Anthony
05-11-2005, 03:46 AM
Before I post the article, I just have to say, "How stupid can Toney's trainers be"?

Deca Durabolin is in a persons system for close to a year. Of course it's going to show in a test. Morons.

How could he not know it's not legal? You inject it into your ass with a 23 gauge needle that is 1.5 inches long. It's not Vitamin B shots.

===============

I don't know if you guys consider Newsday a credible source or not, but is is what they have to say about it.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/boxing/wire/...ports-headlines (http://www.newsday.com/sports/boxing/wire/ny-spguru0511,0,349646.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines)

Boxer Toney tests positive for steroids BY WALLACE MATTHEWS SPECIAL TO NEWSDAY

May 11, 2005

Heavyweight James Toney tested positive for an anabolic steroid after his victory over John Ruiz on April 30 at the Garden, and is likely to be stripped of his newly won WBA heavyweight title. According to Nicholas Kahn, an attorney for Toney, the fighter's promoter, Dan Goossen, was informed Monday night by the New York State Athletic Commission that Toney had "tested positive for a banned substance that is not a narcotic."

Another person with knowledge of the situation told Newsday the substance was nandrolone, a steroid known by the trade name Deca-Durabolin. "I'm sure it's true," said the person, a high-ranking member of a U.S. boxing commission, "but I can't substantiate it."

Ron Scott Stevens, the chairman of the state commission, declined to comment. "There's really nothing I can say right now," he said.

In the event of a drug positive, New York State rules call for the fight to be declared a no contest with any judgment on the title to be made by the sanctioning body. The WBA requires the title to revert to the original titleholder if a championship bout is won by a challenger who subsequently fails a drug test. In that case, Ruiz would once again be recognized as the WBA heavyweight champion, and Toney could face a two-year suspension.

Toney, who began in 1988 as a middleweight, weighed 233 pounds for the fight against Ruiz. He looked overweight in becoming only the third former middleweight champion to win a heavyweight title.

Toney could not be reached for comment, but Kahn said, "James has sworn up and down that he hasn't taken anything . I think it's patently obvious by looking at his body that he wasn't taking steroids."

But Kahn added, "It's possible he may have been prescribed something he didn't know was illegal," by his personal physician, Mark Gordon. Kahn said Gordon was turning over all records regarding his treatment of Toney to the New York commission.

JoesHO
05-11-2005, 10:11 AM
I agree, what a fool

Nickatilynx
05-11-2005, 11:11 AM
What an idiot.

Trev
05-11-2005, 11:14 AM
What happens to the prize money?