PDA

View Full Version : Something weird going on

iknowalttl
05-10-2005, 10:21 PM
well, I don't understand a bunch of things :unsure: but... I am using the same code on two different sites, both using the same host, for contact from the surfer. One is for quotes for services and the other for feedback on artproofing. Each consist of personal info such as name and e-mail address and a message area. One of them doesn't include the message area info after it is submitted. The code is the same on both sites but how can the results differ? <_<

sarettah
05-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by iknowalttl@May 10 2005, 09:22 PM
well, I don't understand a bunch of things :unsure: but... I am using the same code on two different sites, both using the same host, for contact from the surfer. One is for quotes for services and the other for feedback on artproofing. Each consist of personal info such as name and e-mail address and a message area. One of them doesn't include the message area info after it is submitted. The code is the same on both sites but how can the results differ? <_<
Post a link to the pages, it could be in the html side of things pretty easily.

iknowalttl
05-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Beware of sloppy html :P

http://www.apparel-printers.com/quote.html

http://brightlogos.com/summercamp.htm

sarettah
05-10-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by iknowalttl@May 10 2005, 09:44 PM
Is this the one thats fucking up ?

iknowalttl
05-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by sarettah+May 10 2005, 11:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sarettah @ May 10 2005, 11:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-iknowalttl@May 10 2005, 09:44 PM
Is this the one thats fucking up ? [/b][/quote]
Sorry for not mentioning that... but no, that one I get the whole message.

On the quote form all I get is the name and e-mail address... no message area info

sarettah
05-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Ok, I am not getting the same results as you from the html. On both your forms, when I capture what you are sending in they come up ok.

http://www.xxxac.com/testfile.htm
http://www.xxxac.com/testfile1.htm

is your code pointing at a php page on my server, but it is your form feeding it.

On both of them I get all variables expected.

The reason I was pointing at the first one I said was because you have some screwy looking table code in there.

Anyway, go back to your program and make sure you are capturing the variables the same.

here is the code I used:

echo 'to: '. $_POST['to'] . '
';
echo 'subject: '. $_POST['subject'] . '
';
echo 'name: '. $_POST['name'] . '
';
echo 'phone: '. $_POST['phone'] . '
';
echo 'email: '. $_POST['email'] . '
';
echo 'msg: '. $_POST['msg'] . '
';

sarettah
05-11-2005, 12:28 AM
Hey :) If you want, you can zap the script that isn't working to me at sarettah at hatterasdesigns dot com and I can take a quick look :)

But it needs to be real soon if it's tonight because I am old and my eyes are starting to droop :)

Let me know

iknowalttl
05-11-2005, 12:41 AM
For some reason I fail to find the difference... funny thing is that everything was working fine at one point then all of a sudden today I recieved a couple of quote request and it was missing the message info... I didn't make any changes lately, I have no idea what happened, if nothing else I guess I will change the script I use altogether...

By the way, what would be the expense for a script similar to autogallery but something in C? It's what Trev recommended. He said autogallery is good till you start getting good traffic then it loads the server pretty hard.

sarettah
05-11-2005, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by iknowalttl@May 10 2005, 11:42 PM
all of a sudden today I recieved a couple of quote request and it was missing the message info...
Ok, this may be a stupid question but, did you go in yourself and do a quote request to test it ?

It very well could be that you had a couple of folks who screwed up the form entry.

iknowalttl
05-11-2005, 12:49 AM
LOL... definitely... several times over

sarettah
05-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by iknowalttl@May 10 2005, 11:42 PM
By the way, what would be the expense for a script similar to autogallery but something in C? It's what Trev recommended. He said autogallery is good till you start getting good traffic then it loads the server pretty hard.
I don't know. I don't do hardly any C programming, very rusty at it.

If you go custom then you usually will end up paying an hourly and a decent c programmer gets a bit more than most php programmers would.

However, the proper way to approach it in my mind is to use what you got until you get the traffic built up, more traffic means more bucks, more bucks means you can afford to upgrade :)

I was going to edit your script out of your message (but I don't like screwing with peoples posts) , probably not a great idea to leave the whole thing exposed like that. I did not see any problems in there with a quick look, so it beats me at the moment other than, as I suggested, possible user error (commonly referred to as the ID10T error :okthumb: )

iknowalttl
05-11-2005, 01:03 AM
I'm at a loss for what is going on :huh: .... I guess I will change scripts all together for the quote form... There are less than a dime a dozen... It's just annoying when it was working fine then quit working and not to be able to figure why or see anything different :angry: ... I figured it was the user at first too but then I got another one the same. After that I went to test it myself and the message info failed to come through... I have cut and pasted from the working site to the non working one and still get the same results :headwall: :headwall:

By the way... Thanks for your time :)

sarettah
05-11-2005, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by iknowalttl@May 11 2005, 12:04 AM
I'm at a loss for what is going on :huh: .... I guess I will change scripts all together for the quote form... There are less than a dime a dozen... It's just annoying when it was working fine then quit working and not to be able to figure why or see anything different :angry: ... I figured it was the user at first too but then I got another one the same. After that I went to test it myself and the message info failed to come through... I have cut and pasted from the working site to the non working one and still get the same results :headwall: :headwall:
Hmmm.. I went and set it up on my server, changed the email addys out and ran it. it sent me back the quote with my message in it.

Name: test
Email: test
Company:
Phone:
3.test2
4.test3
5.test4
6.test5
7.test6

and a subject of: [Contact Form]: screen printing quote request - website

So the script looks like it works. The only thing I have edited out is the redirecturl echo stuff. Other than that, I am running what you posted as the quote script and the include file for the quote side of stuff.

So, I don't know what to tell you. Everything that comes to mind as a possibility gets tossed just as quick. About the only one that I can think of would be that for some reason the script doesn't see $msg2 coming out of the subroutine. So, you could code a quick $msg2=''; atthe beginning of the script just to make sure it is initialized as global. But that is just a debug, if it isnt global then the email addresses that are created in the sub should not be accessible either.

sarettah
05-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by iknowalttl@May 11 2005, 12:04 AM
By the way... Thanks for your time :)
No prob.

sarettah
05-11-2005, 01:20 AM
If you go ahead and code a quick echo $msg; in the script right after the $msg=$_Post[msg]; you will be able to see what the form is passing in to the msg var.

If nothing is there than the pproblem is in the html. But I couldn't see any problem with it when I looked or when I ran the same code on my server.

anyway, I am going to go to sleep. If I dream anything I will post it in the a.m.

Sorry I couldn't be more help

iknowalttl
05-11-2005, 11:16 AM
weirdest thing.... I tried the form today and everything is working fine :huh: ... I screwed around for a couple hours yesterday trying to figure what was going on with no luck :headwall: , last night when I gave up it was still fucking up and now today it's working fine <_<

O well... I guess I will just be happy B)

sarettah
05-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by iknowalttl@May 11 2005, 10:17 AM
weirdest thing.... I tried the form today and everything is working fine :huh: ... I screwed around for a couple hours yesterday trying to figure what was going on with no luck :headwall: , last night when I gave up it was still fucking up and now today it's working fine <_<

O well... I guess I will just be happy B)
User error :yowsa:

Glad it's working :)

iknowalttl
05-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@May 11 2005, 11:23 AM
Glad it's working :)
Me too :) ... but I still wish I knew what the problem was... if it was user error then I errored about 25 times without knowing it :huh:

sarettah
05-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by iknowalttl@May 11 2005, 07:45 PM
I errored about 25 times without knowing it :huh:
You wouldn't be the first :yowsa: or the last :blink: