PDA

View Full Version : Firefox.. whoops

TheEnforcer
05-09-2005, 03:32 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/120756

ritical Flaw Found in Firefox Matthew Broersma, Techworld.com
Mon May 9,11:00 AM ET

Firefox has unpatched "extremely critical" security holes and exploit code is already circulating on the Net, security researchers have warned.

ADVERTISEMENT

The two unpatched flaws in the Mozilla browser could allow an attacker to take control of your system.

A patch is expected shortly, but in the meantime users can protect themselves by switching off JavaScript. In addition, the Mozilla Foundation has now made the flaws effectively impossible to exploit by changes to the server-side download mechanism on the update.mozilla.org and addons.mozilla.org sites, according to security experts.

The flaws were confidentially reported to the Foundation on May 2, but by Saturday details had been leaked and were reported by several security organizations, including the French Security Incident Response Team (FrSIRT). Danish security firm Secunia marked the exploit as "extremely critical", its most serious rating, the first time it has given a Firefox flaw this rating.

In recent months Firefox has gained significant market share from Microsoft's Internet Explorer, partly because it is considered less vulnerable to attacks. However, industry observers have long warned that the browser is more secure partly because of its relatively small user base. As Firefox's profile grows, attackers will increasingly target the browser.

Two Vulnerabilities Found
The exploit, discovered by Paul of Greyhats Security Group and Michael "mikx" Krax, makes use of two separate vulnerabilities. An attacker could create a malicious page using frames and a JavaScript history flaw to make software installations appear to be coming from a "trusted" site. By default, Firefox allows software installations from update.mozilla.org and addons.mozilla.org, but users can add their own sites to this whitelist.

The second part of the exploit triggers software installation using an input verification bug in the "IconURL" parameter in the install mechanism. The effect is that a user could click on an icon and trigger the execution of malicious JavaScript code. Because the code is executed from the browser's user interface, it has the same privileges as the user running Firefox, according to researchers.

Mozilla Foundation said it has protected most users from the exploit by altering the software installation mechanism on its two whitelisted sites. However, users may be vulnerable if they have added other sites to the whitelist, it warned.

"We believe this means that users who have not added any additional sites to their software installation whitelist are no longer at risk," Mozilla Foundation said in a statement published on Mozillazine.org.

Inabon
05-09-2005, 04:36 PM
i have told a lot of people just because it isn't MS it doesn't mean its good. i rather have MS and know they fuck up than wonder around with something that should not fuck up and it does

besides from what i gather their patch up time is like mega slow jajaja

bill is an expert patching.

Trev
05-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Inabon@May 9 2005, 09:37 PM
i have told a lot of people just because it isn't MS it doesn't mean its good. i rather have MS and know they fuck up than wonder around with something that should not fuck up and it does

besides from what i gather their patch up time is like mega slow jajaja

bill is an expert patching.
I'll take knowing it's got leaks, over thinking it's bulletproof...

At least it prompts me to cover my ass (Pushpills don't say a mother fucking word!)

TheEnforcer
05-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Yeah.. I know what I am getting with IE and Bill.

raymor
05-09-2005, 06:03 PM
The timeline on this bug is intersting to me.
A patch to fix it was avaliable within 6 hours
after the exploit was posted and within 18
hours people who had not patched were protected
by changes to the mozilla.org update server.
This shows the power of open source when compared
to the months or even years a certain proprietary
browser maker has taken to release security updates
after the exploits were public.

2005-05-07 16:26 PDT Original posting of vulnerability
2005-05-07 22:32 PDT Patch to fix it available through bugzilla
2005-05-08 09:57 PDT or earlier Mozilla.org adjusted to protect even users who had not patched Firefox.

Newton
05-09-2005, 06:14 PM
open source everytime :rokk:

Inabon
05-09-2005, 06:21 PM
LOL this is a dead point.

ok opensource is good.

hell it is free

MS sucks hell but everyfucking body in this world has it. :headwall:

and dont even mention mac cause that will really make me :barfon:

so yes cool firefox is fixed. i still don't use it.

and so does a big percentage of the world.

Trev
05-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by raymor@May 9 2005, 11:04 PM

2005-05-08 09:57 PDT or earlier Mozilla.org adjusted to protect even users who had not patched Firefox.
The way you post makes me not want to use open source :P

I'll stay with the devil I know!

Newton
05-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Trev I havent used windows for anything longer than 10 minutes in the last month I dont think? You should try putting linux on one of your machines to test out man, it truly rocks with multiple desktops and all free :) check out http://www.mandrakelinux.com and http://linux-laptop.net/

Trev
05-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Newton@May 9 2005, 11:47 PM
Trev I havent used windows for anything longer than 10 minutes in the last month I dont think? You should try putting linux on one of your machines to test out man, it truly rocks with multiple desktops and all free :) check out http://www.mandrakelinux.com and http://linux-laptop.net/
You are joking me right..

I struggle with my love beads :biglaugh:

I've tried linux (Technick your fault :) ) I did like it a lot. More like trying to learn all over again though, I've not got time for that :(

I need something I know, damn man it took 2 years to get me off Win95, and alot longer to get me off Win98SE :blink:

Inabon
05-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Trev+May 9 2005, 05:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ May 9 2005, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-raymor@May 9 2005, 11:04 PM

The way you post makes me not want to use open source :P

I'll stay with the devil I know! [/b][/quote]
Trev you :rokk:

finally someone with sense. :) at least my kind of sense.

Inabon
05-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Trev+May 9 2005, 06:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ May 9 2005, 06:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Newton@May 9 2005, 11:47 PM

I've tried linux (Technick your fault :) ) I did like it a lot. More like trying to learn all over again though, I've not got time for that :(

I need something I know, damn man it took 2 years to get me off Win95, and alot longer to get me off Win98SE :blink: [/b][/quote]
holly shit trev but i did not know you were the kind that hates upgrades jajaja.

newton is right Linux rocks however boldy tells me that gui is not hardcore i really hate typing so many fucking commands but i am learning LOL

i may try it newton you are close to convincing me.

Trev
05-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Inabon+May 10 2005, 12:11 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Inabon @ May 10 2005, 12:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Trev@May 9 2005, 06:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Newton@May 9 2005, 11:47 PM

I need something I know, damn man it took 2 years to get me off Win95, and alot longer to get me off Win98SE :blink:
holly shit trev but i did not know you were the kind that hates upgrades jajaja.

newton is right Linux rocks however boldy tells me that gui is not hardcore i really hate typing so many fucking commands but i am learning LOL

i may try it newton you are close to convincing me. [/b][/quote]
So the dark side is close to getting you :lol:

I really like Linux, it just doesn't play right with my things right now... Maybe in 2010 (thats when I'm due my next leap :yowsa: )

Newton
05-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Inabon and minibon cant get world domination without linux ;)

Trev
05-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Newton@May 10 2005, 12:15 AM
Inabon and minibon cant get world domination without linux ;)
BUT!

That would require some of the world helping :huh:

Would the open source programmers become his minions :unsure: