Germ theory of infection - 5%
Radio - 5%
Internet - 4%
Internal combustion engine - 3%
Nuclear power - 1%
Communications satellite - 1%

Bicycle chosen as best invention

Prof Wolff's praise for the bike won over listeners
The humble bicycle has won a UK national survey of people's favourite inventions.
Listeners to BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme were invited to vote in an online poll looking at the most significant innovations since 1800.

It was an easy victory for the bicycle which won more than half of the vote.

The transistor came second with 8% of the vote, and the electro-magnetic induction ring - the means to harness electricity - came third.

Interplanetary travel

Despite their ubiquity, computers gained just 6% of the vote and the internet trailed behind with only 4% of all votes cast. There were more than 4,500 votes cast in total.

People chose the bicycle for its simplicity of design, universal use, and because it is an ecologically sound means of transport.

TOP 10 INVENTIONS
Bicycle - 59%
Transistor - 8%
Electro-magnetic induction ring - 8%
Computer - 6%
Germ theory of infection - 5%
Radio - 5%
Internet - 4%
Internal combustion engine - 3%
Nuclear power - 1%
Communications satellite - 1%

The survey also asked participants which innovation they would most like to disinvent.

GM foods came top of this poll with 26% of the vote, followed by nuclear power with 19%.

By contrast, the technology most would like to see invented was an Aids vaccine.

Alas, plans to ship long-suffering commuters to distant planets may need to be put on hold with only 15% voting for an interplanetary commuting transport system.

Half voted water treatment and supply systems as the technology to bring most benefit to society.

Another 23% thought that vaccinations deserved the honour.

Each of the technologies were nominated by a different expert, including writer Sir Arthur C Clarke, cloning expert Professor Ian Wilmut, and Professor Heinz Wolff.

Prof Wolff's praise of the bicycle held the most sway with voters which will come as a disappointment to Lord Alec Broers, this year's Reith lecturer.

His series of lectures - Triumph of Technology - prompted the vote.

In the first of his talks, he expressed surprise at the results of a similar survey.

It too ranked the bicycle above scientific breakthroughs such as electricity generation, the jet engine, the discovery of DNA and the invention of vaccinations.

Lee
05-07-2005, 04:30 PM
See id have to call bullshit.

Personally i think the wheel is one of the best inventions ever made and, lets be honest, if it was never invented, the bicycle certainly wouldnt have been ;)

Trev
05-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Yes, but that’s a radio 4 poll.

Only 4% of their listeners are mentally stable <_<

TheEnforcer
05-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Interesting results to be sure... so many incredible things to choose from like the wheel, internal combustible engine, the plane, etc.. etc..

Nickatilynx
05-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Lee@May 7 2005, 12:31 PM

Personally i think the wheel is one of the best inventions ever made and, lets be honest, if it was never invented, the bicycle certainly wouldnt have been ;)
Both of you didn't read it , did you.

Go back and reread it.

There will be a test on Monday (sigh)

And Trev , stop doing that , you'll go blind and Lee just sit quietly and stop saying people copied yr work...

:)

;-)))

And Trevor put that cigarette out!!!

( my escape plan is to be a teacher...just practising)

pushpills
05-07-2005, 04:48 PM
no big surprise toothpaste isn't on there. :D

Trev
05-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Sorry Sir :unsure:

I've re-read it and so far I can only pick up on this:

Listeners to BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme were invited to vote in an online poll

But my brain is mulsh today :(

Nickatilynx
05-07-2005, 05:04 PM
"" in an online poll looking at the most significant innovations since 1800. """

Trev
05-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@May 7 2005, 10:05 PM
"" in an online poll looking at the most significant innovations since 1800. """
Trust me to edit out the 1800's part :lol:

BUT

I just said this was a radio 4 poll and the only people that listen to radio 4 are:

A. Very old
B. Even older
C. Mental
D. My dad :blink:

Nickatilynx
05-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Lee@May 7 2005, 12:31 PM

""" in an online poll looking at the most significant innovations since 1800. """

in 1799 people has square barrows and First graders tried to stick whole wagonsquares in their mouths....

;-))

Lee
05-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Trev+May 7 2005, 01:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ May 7 2005, 01:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@May 7 2005, 10:05 PM

BUT

I just said this was a radio 4 poll and the only people that listen to radio 4 are:

A. Very old
B. Even older
C. Mental
D. My dad :blink: [/b][/quote]
Hahaha i completely missed the 1800 part too.

But for the rest of your post, i agree, cept your dad option because i dont know him ;)

Trev
05-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Lee+May 7 2005, 10:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lee @ May 7 2005, 10:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Trev@May 7 2005, 01:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@May 7 2005, 10:05 PM

BUT

A. Very old
B. Even older
C. Mental
Hahaha i completely missed the 1800 part too.

But for the rest of your post, i agree, cept your dad option because i dont know him ;) [/b][/quote]
My dad fits a,b and c :lol:

Dravyk
05-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Bicycle??? :blink: Somehow when I think "bike", Britian does not come to mind.

Nickatilynx
05-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Dravyk@May 7 2005, 02:56 PM
Obviously never been to Romford , Essex then....

lot of bikes there....

Trev
05-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx+May 8 2005, 12:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nickatilynx @ May 8 2005, 12:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dravyk@May 7 2005, 02:56 PM

lot of bikes there....

:) [/b][/quote]
OR

London - Friday through Saturday
Blackpool - Thursday through Monday
Newcastle - Any day
Manchester - Any where
Leeds – Any one
Liverpool - Anytime

Robin
05-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Trev@May 7 2005, 03:21 PM
the only people that listen to radio 4 are:

A. Very old
B. Even older
C. Mental
And I bet the listen in their cars NOT on a bicycle... ;)

Steady
05-07-2005, 11:58 PM
People chose the bicycle for its simplicity of design, universal use, and because it is an ecologically sound means of transport.

"Means of transport"?

If it was Southeast Asia I would belive it, but the UK...Puzzling! :o

Newton
05-08-2005, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx+May 7 2005, 03:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nickatilynx @ May 7 2005, 03:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dravyk@May 7 2005, 02:56 PM

lot of bikes there....

:) [/b][/quote]
It rhymes with bikes lol