Lee
05-07-2005, 04:59 AM
http://www.gaysexgay.com/

http://www.4threactor.com/portfolio/cjs/gaysexgay/

My site.. http://www.cumsoda.com

Your thoughts?

Hell Puppy
05-07-2005, 05:17 AM
Damn, you put me in the position of having to agree with those guys....

Both designs have common layout elements that are often used in thumbnailed TGPs. Heck, I even have sites that look kinda similar to that myself.

I wouldn't think the design was ripped off. If anyone is guilty of anything, it is both designers were somewhat unoriginal layout wise.

Lee
05-07-2005, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy@May 7 2005, 01:18 AM
Damn, you put me in the position of having to agree with those guys....

Both designs have common layout elements that are often used in thumbnailed TGPs. Heck, I even have sites that look kinda similar to that myself.

I wouldn't think the design was ripped off. If anyone is guilty of anything, it is both designers were somewhat unoriginal layout wise.
But using the same text link text?

I mean yeah he changed the colors but the elements are virtually exact except for the blue and red color scheme lol

NickPapageorgio
05-07-2005, 06:59 AM
I would say he used yours for alot of inspiration. Hell, the guy probably saw yours and told his designer, "I want it to look like that, but blue and with dragons". I know I have had clients do just that. As far as the text goes, that probably stemmed from the same thing. I would say be flattered. It's definitely close, but no cigar. TPG's have become so cookie cutter anyway I would guess there's probably 10 or more out there that used your design for inspiration the same way...you just haven't seen 'em.

Trev
05-07-2005, 07:06 AM
I'd say yesno. :huh:

It does look in layout allot like yours and the text is toooo similar for it to be coincidental.

But I've done similar (not as obvious) things with my search engine stuff to gain position. Only to have someone come along and do it to me, swings and roundabouts :(

NickPapageorgio
05-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Ooops I meant to post a typical Zoo type response here. Let me try again.

"UUuugh...that one dude's dick is touching that other dude's dick...uuugh that's gay!!"

There that's better. <_<

venturi
05-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Hey Lee, quit acting like your favorite curse word you use on the boards.

How many variations of a Comus/AGP/Whatever thumbnail TGP do you think exist?

And text links are text links. Do you own the copyright/trademark on your text link text? I highly doubt it, and it'd be a waste of time to even attempt to pursue it in court. btw, WHAT text link text? I see no similarities contextually.

Are you now going to start claiming a patent on your recip designs???

PUUULEASE!

Get over it. Nothing you ever have thunk up is original. For every "new" thought you have ever had 100 other people already thunk it - and likely did it, whether you've seen it or not.

Wanna be brilliant and original? Invent, patent and produce the unbreakable lightbulb that never burns out, and you only license it to customers on a recurring basis with discounts for bulk/enterprise accounts of course (unless it's a gov't contract).

Otherwise, chock it up to your being an inspiration (as others have said) to their own designs. If they blatantly *copy* your work verbatim, and you can *prove* your prior work, and you feel it worthwhile to take legal action then go for it. If not, forget it and move on toward keeping your own business successful.

That's my $0.50 (I'm worth more than 2 cents now).

The Other Steve
05-07-2005, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by venturi@May 7 2005, 04:04 AM
That's my $0.50 (I'm worth more than 2 cents now).
God damn inflation!

Dravyk
05-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Lee, you're a great guy ... but you always think someone is ripping off your site designs since I've known you.

Fact is, there's only so many ways to make a site. Go check out the free site templates for mainstream some day. There's a good 10K out there! But they all pretty much fit into about eight variations when it comes down to it.

While we're at it ... just about every web hosting site on the Net looks like the other one.

Lee
05-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by venturi@May 7 2005, 04:04 AM
And text links are text links. Do you own the copyright/trademark on your text link text?
Um actually, accoding to copyright law, i do ;)

BTW the designer replied over on the Zoo saying his client asked for that layout because he liked it so much.

Im guessing quite a few of his client liked the layout..

http://www.4threactor.com/portfolio/cjs/twinksjacking/

LOL

Trev
05-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Any chance of a few of your URL's?

I got some gaps I need to fill on certain niches :lol:

Lee
05-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Dravyk@May 7 2005, 07:10 AM
Lee, you're a great guy ... but you always think someone is ripping off your site designs since I've known you.

Fact is, there's only so many ways to make a site. Go check out the free site templates for mainstream some day. There's a good 10K out there! But they all pretty much fit into about eight variations when it comes down to it.

While we're at it ... just about every web hosting site on the Net looks like the other one.
Harry,

I can think of one other time ive thought someone ripped off a design of ours and, it turned out they did and even apologized in email and removed the stuff in question.

Other than that instance and this one, i dont htink that fits the criteria for 'always' ;)

Oh and there was an article that Voltar flat out stole to but that was resolved when he removed it at my request after being able to prove it was written for us by the original author lol

Lee
05-08-2005, 02:23 PM
So it turns out the designer has admitted that he copied the design for those TGPs from CumSoda because in his own words, he 'thought his client owned it'.

Nickatilynx
05-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Lee@May 8 2005, 10:24 AM
So it turns out the designer has admitted that he copied the design for those TGPs from CumSoda because in his own words, he 'thought his client owned it'.
Do you know what a shit wolf is?

;-)))

Lee
05-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx+May 8 2005, 10:31 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nickatilynx @ May 8 2005, 10:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lee@May 8 2005, 10:24 AM
Do you know what a shit wolf is?

;-))) [/b][/quote]
Cant say i do but i do like the sounds of it hahahaha.

Dravyk
05-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Lee@May 7 2005, 02:08 PM
Other than that instance and this one, i dont htink that fits the criteria for 'always' ;)
I could have sworn I'd seen that a bunch of times, Lee. Guess I'm confusing you with someone else or something. My mistake.

Everyone knows I have a bad memory. :)

Nickatilynx
05-08-2005, 04:25 PM
A shit wolf (if you watched Trailer Park Boys LOL) is a shit that crys wolf so often that when he is right no one gives a fuck LOL

;-)))

Trev
05-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@May 8 2005, 09:26 PM
A shit wolf (if you watched Trailer Park Boys LOL) is a shit that crys wolf so often that when he is right no one gives a fuck LOL

;-)))
I don't think he'll be liking the sounds of it as much as he did....

It's a new one on me as well :)

Nickatilynx
05-08-2005, 04:30 PM
My perception , true or not Lee , is you are always pissed with some designer or another.

Either they didn't do work for you , stole yr design , you didn't pay them...

Designers must make the sign of the cross when you contact them.. LOL

;-)))

*KK*
05-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@May 8 2005, 12:26 PM

;-)))
Ahahaha, you mean the little boy who cried wolf, for those not of the pikey bent!

Lee
05-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@May 8 2005, 12:31 PM
My perception , true or not Lee , is you are always pissed with some designer or another.
Actually id say that was a fair assessment LOL

Good designers are hard to find these days LOL

JR
05-08-2005, 10:52 PM
being that it took quite a few seconds of looking at each design to understand what was "stolen"... i would say...

no.

all art is influenced by other art. its a compliment to you. i always show designers other sites as examples because it really helps both in understanding the task.