PDA

View Full Version : Summer Sales Slowdown

RyanLanane
05-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Exactly when does this start to kick in, when does it get worse, and when is it at it's worst? Also same questions at the opposite side of the spectrum when kids go back to school...

I seem to remember a 25-33% summer drop, but not 100% sure it has been so long... Those of you who have been around last few years care to answer?

Nickatilynx
05-06-2005, 01:36 PM
You don't notice any slowdown if you keep growing :)

RyanLanane
05-06-2005, 01:52 PM
True, true.. :)

Wondering how to equate the growth rate though due to the fact sales go downhill due to summer.

In other words I could be proving an actual 10% increase monthly but it only shows as 5% due tot he summer slowdown.

Evil Chris
05-06-2005, 02:44 PM
The big affiliate programs will all tell you that the summer slowdown is a myth, or isn't true. Mid July some will say "we're breaking sales records!" to hype their stuff. The truth of the matter is that it does exist.

The best you can do (like Nick said, by growing) is to launch something very hot and new right before the slowdown hits so webmasters have something hot to promote over the summer.

In my experience it tends to go from mid June until Labour Day. But then like the sun rising, sales spike right up the first week of September.

grimm
05-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by RyanLanane@May 6 2005, 09:53 AM

Wondering how to equate the growth rate though due to the fact sales go downhill due to summer.

In other words I could be proving an actual 10% increase monthly but it only shows as 5% due tot he summer slowdown.
youll find out in the fall:)

RyanLanane
05-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by grimm+May 6 2005, 01:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (grimm @ May 6 2005, 01:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RyanLanane@May 6 2005, 09:53 AM

youll find out in the fall:) [/b][/quote]

Simple and True Grimm :)

Nickatilynx
05-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by RyanLanane+May 6 2005, 03:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RyanLanane @ May 6 2005, 03:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by grimm@May 6 2005, 01:57 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-RyanLanane@May 6 2005, 09:53 AM

Simple and True Grimm :) [/b][/quote]
He is really :)

grimm
05-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx+May 6 2005, 03:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nickatilynx @ May 6 2005, 03:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by RyanLanane@May 6 2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by grimm@May 6 2005, 01:57 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-RyanLanane@May 6 2005, 09:53 AM

Simple and True Grimm :)
He is really :) [/b][/quote]
I ain't much for fancy booklearnin'. :)

Hell Puppy
05-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by RyanLanane@May 6 2005, 12:36 PM
Exactly when does this start to kick in, when does it get worse, and when is it at it's worst? Also same questions at the opposite side of the spectrum when kids go back to school...

I seem to remember a 25-33% summer drop, but not 100% sure it has been so long... Those of you who have been around last few years care to answer?
There are ways to avoid it. Some sites avoid it by their very nature.

But for most there is indeed a summer slowdown, and this includes the message boards. It's driven by two factors:

1) The weather. It's nice out, many normal people spend more time outside and less online. They also have distractions competing for their time, kids out of school, yards that need mowing, vacations, etc.

2) College kids go home. At school in their apartment or their dorm they are prolific monkey spankers. When they head back home for the summer, their surfing is also curtailed. Mom and dad might not even have broadband.

The date varies with the weather and when schools start and stop. Good guestimate is memorial day to labor day.