PDA

View Full Version : HD video cameras.

Mike AI
05-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Anyone have suggesstions?

These are the 4 I am looking at:

In the Sony camp

HDR-FX1 is the consumer version ($3,200 at B&H)

HVR-Z1U is the prosumer version ($4,900 at B&H)

In the JVC camp:

GR-HD1 is the consumer version ($1,995 at B&H)

JY-HD10U is the prosumer version ($2,650 at B&H)

Jim_Gunn
05-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Mike, based on the reviews I have read, I think the Sony HVR-Z1U is a sweet camera with some nice features that the HDR-FX1 doesn't have including switchable b/w & color viewfinder; simultaneous display capability for the eyepiece & flip out screen; and XLR audio inputs.

In the meantime, I have held off on buying an HDV camera until I have a pressing need, or a client that wants to pay the bucks needed for the production. I'm also eyeing the new dual-core Pentium processors as my next editng workstation for HDV. After that just need to buy the plug-in for Premiere and enough hard drive space and I'm off to the races.

Mike AI
05-03-2005, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Jim_Gunn@May 2 2005, 12:19 PM
Mike, based on the reviews I have read, I think the Sony HVR-Z1U is a sweet camera with some nice features that the HDR-FX1 doesn't have including switchable b/w & color viewfinder; simultaneous display capability for the eyepiece & flip out screen; and XLR audio inputs.

In the meantime, I have held off on buying an HDV camera until I have a pressing need, or a client that wants to pay the bucks needed for the production. I'm also eyeing the new dual-core Pentium processors as my next editng workstation for HDV. After that just need to buy the plug-in for Premiere and enough hard drive space and I'm off to the races.

Jim thanks for the feedback. I know your dedication to your craft!

*KK*
05-03-2005, 02:03 AM
HD is going to require way more Photoshop I predict ;)

MaDalton
05-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Jim_Gunn@May 2 2005, 09:19 AM
i'm with you on that - spending the money on a HD camera right now just makes sense for me when people are also willing to spend more $$$ for what we produce with it. At the moment there's a hype for content in PerfectGonzo quality, but if it comes to the prize of a production like this, people still want to stick to what they paid before. that doesn't work.

Mike AI
05-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by *KK*@May 3 2005, 01:04 AM
HD is going to require way more Photoshop I predict ;)

I am not sure if it will be photoshop, but HD will take much better lighting, camera ability, as well as makeup on the girls.

HD will show all imperfections easily....

I am not concerned about price - I am just looking for a new toy.

:)