PDA

View Full Version : Helpful tools

sarettah
05-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Just wanted to pass on a tip.

Editors, one of my favorite editors is pspad http://www.pspad.com

Has built in syntax checking and such for just about any scripting you want to do.

Has a great html interface that allows you to compress or expand html. If you expand, it lays out a stacked page that makes it super easy to spot tag errors.

Has a nice search and replace too.

:okthumb:

Trev
05-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Nice program Sar, I'll have to check it out.

I use:

EditPad Pro, Notepad, BK Search and Replace... many, many others but these are my main...

I like certain programs for certain things. :)

JizBiz
05-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Heres a list of a few i use

Xenu Link (http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html) Xenu is a great little program that checks your sites links and compiles reports of any badlinkage internally and externally on your pages (whole domains at a time) Also can put a report on your server listing dead files/pages/images and create detailed and nicely laid out site maps.

Overture Keyword Selection Tool (http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/). This one is great one for getting a general idea of what people are searching for.

Seo Chat (http://www.seochat.com/) The tools are found on the left .... Link Popularity, Meta Tag Generator, Domain Typos, Keyword Typos, Keyword Density, Keyword Optimizer, Google Keywords, Overture Keywords , PageRank Search , PageRank Lookup, Future PageRank, Site Link Analyzer , Meta Analyzer , Google Dance

DNS Stuff (http://www.dnsstuff.com/) For whois and reverse lookups etc. Handy shit here.

Magpie RSS (http://magpierss.sourceforge.net/) is an open source RSS parser written in php. Nice and easy to use and quite adaptable.

Obviously i need to add Word Press (http://www.wordpress.org) and also these to match with it. Wordpress Plugins (http://wiki.wordpress.org/Plugin) and here is a nice batch or Wordpress Theme Browser (http://www.alexking.org/software/wordpress/theme_browser.php)

Next thing that i dont care to list all of is MESSAGE BOARDS, there is an enormous vault of knowledge across the adult boards and if your smart enough to be able to sort through the DRIBBLE you can find some true GOLD on them.

gonzo
05-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Say I want to Search and Replace text on a group of pages in a directory or a group fo driectories. What tool do you use for that?

JizBiz
05-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by gonzo@May 1 2005, 04:01 PM
Say I want to Search and Replace text on a group of pages in a directory or a group fo driectories. What tool do you use for that?
I use Dreamweaver, (you could search and replace your whole drive if you wanted) but thats only local, i cant tell you what to use for doing it on the server, we couldnt find anything to do it like we wanted too so we had it included in a program wrote for us (Network Management System).

If the sites arent to big and you do your edits local its simple to edit them all with dreamweaver , Multi Replace or the solution Trev mentioned as well (BK search and replace).

Searching for a solution to do it serverwide led me realise the importance of includes.. :(

Trev
05-01-2005, 06:00 PM
I do all my editing on my pc (with backups now lol) I leave server side editing for the guys in the know.

Never used DW for search/replace but have tried Multi Replace Pro, it's a quality program but I've been using BK for years and it works for me... hell I still use BatchIt for my thumbs :lol:

sarettah
05-01-2005, 06:11 PM
I use total control. :)

Trev
05-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@May 1 2005, 11:12 PM
I use total control. :)
I still have it :)

Mind, we decompiled it, and are now marketing it as TotalControl Pro now :lol:

iknowalttl
05-02-2005, 12:01 AM
I just wanted to say thanks to you all :)

I really know little about the business and info like this is very helpful for someone like me :wnw:

I just installed wordpress on a site yesterday and have heard a bit of the blog hype and how SE like them but I don't know now to use the blog to benefit the sites I have. It can't be as simple as writing a little bla bla bla with links and mention of the sites regularly... or is it?

JizBiz
05-02-2005, 12:08 AM
Its not so much that it is easy or simple as posting blah blah.

Thing is if you want to post just blah blah everyday, go ahead, but make sure you post that blah blah consistently. 7 times on saturday is 1% as effective as 1 a day. You want that spider OR surfer to return to something new everyday, and to make it a habit, (on both fronts:) )

IknowAtl im on now, gonna build a brand new one (wordpress site loaded with rss etc) over the next few hours.

Feel free to hit me up.

iknowalttl
05-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by JizBiz@May 2 2005, 12:09 AM
Its not so much that it is easy or simple as posting blah blah.

Thing is if you want to post just blah blah everyday, go ahead, but make sure you post that blah blah consistently. 7 times on saturday is 1% as effective as 1 a day. You want that spider OR surfer to return to something new everyday, and to make it a habit, (on both fronts:) )

IknowAtl im on now, gonna build a brand new one (wordpress site loaded with rss etc) over the next few hours.

Feel free to hit me up. 269 758 786
you weren't on according to ICQ by the time I read this...

I am not really interested in posting bla bla bla to a blog at all really, but if there is a way to make it beneficial I wouldn't mind. I definitely want to know the bigger picture.

gigi
05-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Jizbiz,

Thanks for the info on wordpress! I just downloaded it and am going to create a new blog now. :)

My current blogs all use Tom's free blog script:

http://www.tomsnewbiebooster.com/resources/blog/script.html

It's a VERY simple, but effective script written in php if anyone wants an alternative.

I'm a n00b when it comes to RSS....I just downloaded Magpie, so lets see if I can figure it out....haha

2serveu
05-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Dreamweaver is very nice. Point and click and you can replace anything in your site, sites or drives.

You can get a student deal on the entire suite right from macromedia, but you have to give them a copy of a student ID. I got the fireworks, dreamweaver, flash, freehand & accessory pack for $200 or so... Normally it's around a thousand bux ( :pearl: )

Trev
05-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by 2serveu@May 7 2005, 11:33 PM
Dreamweaver is very nice. Point and click and you can replace anything in your site, sites or drives.

You can get a student deal on the entire suite right from macromedia, but you have to give them a copy of a student ID. I got the fireworks, dreamweaver, flash, freehand & accessory pack for $200 or so... Normally it's around a thousand bux ( :pearl: )
Wanna lend me your id :lol:

iknowalttl
05-07-2005, 06:36 PM
I wanted to ask about TGP management tools...

What is popular?

A friend is wanting me to put autogallery to use on his site but has left it up to me on using it or whatever I wish to work with.

Is autogallery a good script to use?

Trev
05-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Autogallery is fine as long as you don't mind the link at the bottom...

Is the site a high traffic site?

Because if it is you'll need something more robust and less demanding on the server, something written in C is the cream. There are allot of free tgp scripts you can run but they will skim 1% (they say 1%) from your traffic.

A little heads up on the traffic density and if you're running trades would help narrow the field down a little. :)

iknowalttl
05-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Trev@May 7 2005, 07:01 PM

Because if it is you'll need something more robust and less demanding on the server, something written in C is the cream. There are allot of free tgp scripts you can run but they will skim 1% (they say 1%) from your traffic.

A little heads up on the traffic density and if you're running trades would help narrow the field down a little. :)
He says he has a couple K traffic a day and gallerys are supposed to have a recpt link.... Alexa doesn't show any traffic rank... He said today he was getting all the login info for me and I will get a chance to see what the stats are at the host... Basically he has no time and/or desire to run the sites so I am gonna stumble my way through whatever it is that he has going on... According to Link Popularity Check the site has close to 1k incoming links on Alta Vista and over 900 on yahoo for whatever thats worth.

He told me to do whatever I wanted with it... should benefit us both

Trev
05-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by iknowalttl+May 8 2005, 12:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (iknowalttl @ May 8 2005, 12:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Trev@May 7 2005, 07:01 PM

He says he has a couple K traffic a day and gallerys are supposed to have a recpt link.... Alexa doesn't show any traffic rank... He said today he was getting all the login info for me and I will get a chance to see what the stats are at the host... Basically he has no time and/or desire to run the sites so I am gonna stumble my way through whatever it is that he has going on... According to Link Popularity Check the site has close to 1k incoming links on Alta Vista and over 900 on yahoo for whatever thats worth.

He told me to do whatever I wanted with it... should benefit us both [/b][/quote]
With traffic at those levels Autogallery will cover what you need. If you've got plans to grow it then change the script before it gets painful :)

Inabon
05-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by gonzo@May 1 2005, 04:01 PM
i use editpad i have benchemarked it making search and replace in 500 files in about 5 minutes.

it is what note pad should be..

it lets you do multiple open by tab and do massive search and replace.

you have to do some work opening files from directories but it works cool

Inabon
05-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by JizBiz+May 1 2005, 04:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JizBiz @ May 1 2005, 04:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gonzo@May 1 2005, 04:01 PM
I use Dreamweaver, (you could search and replace your whole drive if you wanted) but thats only local, i cant tell you what to use for doing it on the server, we couldnt find anything to do it like we wanted too so we had it included in a program wrote for us (Network Management System).

If the sites arent to big and you do your edits local its simple to edit them all with dreamweaver , Multi Replace or the solution Trev mentioned as well (BK search and replace).

Searching for a solution to do it serverwide led me realise the importance of includes.. :( [/b][/quote]
ahh yeah dream weaver but it is not as fast as editpad :) i use dreamweaver too eventhough boldy hates it LOL

iknowalttl
05-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Trev+May 7 2005, 07:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ May 7 2005, 07:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by iknowalttl@May 8 2005, 12:33 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Trev@May 7 2005, 07:01 PM

He told me to do whatever I wanted with it... should benefit us both
With traffic at those levels Autogallery will cover what you need. If you've got plans to grow it then change the script before it gets painful :) [/b][/quote]
Well... If it don't grow, nobody is gonna be happy... I am not getting very much for taking over the site, I am gonna get most of my money from him is through growth so I guess a C script is what I should go for...