JoesHO
04-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Slavik won though is that correct?

Nickatilynx
04-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Didn't realise it was Slavik.

Dravyk
04-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Let me see if I have this right (haven't had second cup of coffee yet) ...

Rick sued Slavik who had a typo domain. That about right? Or am I reading this wrong?

Nickatilynx
04-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Thats how I see it , Drav

RyanLanane
04-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Wow, there is no love when it comes to business ....

DrGuile
04-28-2005, 02:26 PM
No offense to webfather, but it sounds like a very poorly built case.... the panel really trash them...

Nickatilynx
04-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile@Apr 28 2005, 10:27 AM
No offense to webfather, but it sounds like a very poorly built case.... the panel really trash them...
Again I find myself agreeing with you

Trev
04-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx+Apr 28 2005, 07:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nickatilynx @ Apr 28 2005, 07:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DrGuile@Apr 28 2005, 10:27 AM
Again I find myself agreeing with you [/b][/quote]
Twice in the same day :blink: :huh:

TheEnforcer
04-28-2005, 02:35 PM
I'm personally not too thrilled by the idea that a commonly used word can be trademarked and that gives them a right to misspellings of that common word. I think that is quite stupid actually.

sarettah
04-28-2005, 03:50 PM
there is simply no evidence that the domain name was registered to hijack those folks who wish to look at dirty pictures

Dirty pictures ? Oh My :blink:

RyanLanane
04-28-2005, 03:51 PM
I am suprised Webfather would use such an argument especially given what Sex.Com tried... "hey your domain has the word sex in it see you in court or turn over the domain"

Wonder how many idiots did turn over their domains?

Lee
04-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Apr 28 2005, 10:36 AM
I'm personally not too thrilled by the idea that a commonly used word can be trademarked and that gives them a right to misspellings of that common word.
I wasnt aware commonly used words can be trademarked unless used in conjunction with another word or unless a substantial market brand has been established.

For example, Apple.

JoesHO
04-28-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Trev+Apr 28 2005, 10:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Apr 28 2005, 10:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Apr 28 2005, 07:29 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DrGuile@Apr 28 2005, 10:27 AM
Twice in the same day :blink: :huh: [/b][/quote]
I think they are flirting with each other Trev, what do you think LOL

Trev
04-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by JoesHO1+Apr 28 2005, 08:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JoesHO1 @ Apr 28 2005, 08:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Trev@Apr 28 2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Apr 28 2005, 07:29 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DrGuile@Apr 28 2005, 10:27 AM
Twice in the same day :blink: :huh:
I think they are flirting with each other Trev, what do you think LOL [/b][/quote]
Canadian sex games maybe :blink:

grimm
04-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by RyanLanane@Apr 28 2005, 11:52 AM
I am suprised Webfather would use such an argument especially given what Sex.Com tried... "hey your domain has the word sex in it see you in court or turn over the domain"

a mispelling of a trademarked name is a whole other animal. that is usually forced to be turned over. same as if i registered cokacola.com.

Nickatilynx
04-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by RyanLanane@Apr 28 2005, 11:52 AM

Serge did....

Peaches
04-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx+Apr 28 2005, 04:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nickatilynx @ Apr 28 2005, 04:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RyanLanane@Apr 28 2005, 11:52 AM

Serge did.... [/b][/quote]
I believe Dokk did too.

From what I remember, the domains weren't all that super and it was just easier to give them to the guy than fight.

RyanLanane
04-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Wow, I forgot all about Serge caving in - I think he caught some shit on
that one for a while if memory serves me correct? Don't remember Dokk caving though... Do remember it was quite the talk for some time

DanB
04-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Common names can't be trademarked, that's why MS' "windows" mark was denied.

But, if you create artwork of the word "windows" then you can trademark the artwork. Can't register "cat" but if you made the word cat look like a cat, you could register that.

Also, just because you have a registered trademeark doesn't mean it's enforceable.

Winetalk.com
04-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by DanB@Apr 28 2005, 08:38 PM
Common names can't be trademarked, that's why MS' "windows" mark was denied.

But, if you create artwork of the word "windows" then you can trademark the artwork. Can't register "cat" but if you made the word cat look like a cat, you could register that.

Also, just because you have a registered trademeark doesn't mean it's enforceable.
your knowlege about trademark is amazing....How many law firms you consult?

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc...ch=Submit+Query (http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=hlmmvl.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl%7E%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=serge&p_tagrepl%7E%3A=PARA2%24COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query)

go play wiht PTO site and see how many common words are trademarked...including
"Serge"
:)

DanB
04-29-2005, 11:53 AM
I've owned a few US trademarks and have filed TMs myself and using TM attorneys.

Okay, technically you can register single dictionary words, (the government will always take your filing fees). There's really nothing in the regs that says you can't register a single dictionary word.

Trademarking single dictionary words is seldom done (ask any good TM attorney to trademark a single dictionary word and you'll get a long speech about why you're wasting your time and money). If they are granted they are usually very weak right from the start and seldom enforceable. Again, just because the USPTO granted a trademark it doesn't mean it's strong or enforceable.

One issue with common words is you have to be able to prove "first use" in the industry that your TM is applied to when challenged. So if you wanted to trademark "monkey" for use in the technology sector, and somebody challenged, you'd need to be able to back up the claim you made of first use. Basically, all it takes is one other use of the word in the sector prior to your first use and the trademark is severely weakend and probably revoked. And since common words are, by definition, common there's a good chance that somebody else used it before, even if it is part of a longer TM, such as "Monkey Calculator". This may cause confusion in the marketplace which is another grounds for revocation. If you chose to register it and it does get through, you'll probably have a hard time defending it if needed.

Also, common words are really frowned upon because of the probable dilution of the mark (along with marketplace confusion). Even made-up words, such as Xerox or Kleenex, can become so common in everyday language that even these made-up words become diluted and eventually hard to enforce.

BTW, "Serge" is a dictionary word and a proper name. Both "serge" TMs are dead and one was a styalized form. Words that fit both categories are even trickier to enforce.

Regarding TMs, proper names can get even more convoluted. Proper names are a whole other can of worms for the PTO. If you think you own the rights to your name, you may be mistaken, such as the case of Ernest Gallo -v- Julio Gallo.