PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France!

Steady
04-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Armstrong struggles in time trial

By PAUL NEWBERRY

ROME, Ga. (AP) - Lance Armstrong has plenty of work to do if he wants to win a seventh straight Tour de France.

Armstrong finished a disappointing ninth in Thursday's time trial at the Tour de Georgia, nearly two minutes behind the winner in a go-all-out style of cycling he usually dominates. Another American, Floyd Landis, won the third stage in 39 minutes, 58.09 seconds. The other spots on the podium also were claimed by U.S. riders - David Zabriskie in second and Christopher Baldwin third.

Shockingly, Armstrong was not among them. Racing in a light rain, he failed to make up ground on the climb up Mount Alto and had no chance of closing the gap by the time he pedalled onto the slick streets of downtown Rome.

"Clearly, I'm disappointed," said Armstrong, who could only manage a time of 41:44.87. "I didn't feel great, but I thought I'd do a better ride than that. I'm disappointed and (it) clearly shows I have some work to do."

Armstrong plans to retire this summer after going for a seventh straight victory in the Tour de France. Already, he's the only cyclist to win the world's most famous race six times.

The Tour de Georgia is a tuneup along the way, a six-day chance for Armstrong to gauge his conditioning against the best field that will be assembled on Americans roads .

He won this race a year ago, taking control in the time trial held over the same 30-kilometre course in northwest Georgia. Armstrong's winning time was 39:51.78 - far better than he managed Thursday as leader of the Discovery Channel team.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Cycling/2005/04/21/1007343-ap.html

*KK*
04-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Personally I would be thinking about retiring without trying for a 7th if I couldn't get my times more in line with what I'd need to win. Very few professional athletes go out at the pinnacle of their career, and there's nothing worse than to see them struggling to perform when past their prime.

I'm sure he can live handily on his endorsements even if he doesnt ride again.

JoesHO
04-26-2005, 01:00 PM
He always looks like he wont do it, then wham somehow he comes out on top, he knows that race and that course better than nayone, if he qualifies, he will win it .

Steady
04-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by *KK*@Apr 26 2005, 08:44 AM
Personally I would be thinking about retiring without trying for a 7th if I couldn't get my times more in line with what I'd need to win. Very few professional athletes go out at the pinnacle of their career, and there's nothing worse than to see them struggling to perform when past their prime.

I'm sure he can live handily on his endorsements even if he doesnt ride again.
I agree...with all his endorsements he does not need to ride again. He is not getting any younger and the competition is tough! I do hope he pulls it of...He is our home boy hear in Austin, Texas. If anything, reason number 489 is good enough!

http://www.glacombe.com/images/gsherylcrow1.jpg

:)

TheEnforcer
04-26-2005, 02:05 PM
he'll be right up there but I'm not sure he'll win it this year.

DrGuile
04-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Its all preparation...

Its a very intricate science built to make him peak at Le Tour. (science that involves more than legal things? Perhaps...)

But he shouldnt be winning anything until a couple weeks/a month to the Tour... he only really run one race all year... and Im guessing that's especially true now that he's older...

But I agree, he might not win... but he'll be contending

squirtingcarly
04-26-2005, 05:40 PM
I thought he told Matt Lauer on the Today Show he wasn't going to race and retire just last week? :blink: Or did I just dream that?

DrGuile
04-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by squirtingcarly@Apr 26 2005, 04:41 PM
I thought he told Matt Lauer on the Today Show he wasn't going to race and retire just last week? :blink: Or did I just dream that?
he's retiring AFTER the race.