PDA

View Full Version : What sort of software apps do you use

sarettah
04-24-2005, 06:56 PM
I have wondered a bit about that.

I know newbs usually do most stuff desktop and then upload it.
I know the bigger guys who have the processing bw swear by server side.

I have wondered if there is niche being missed in the middle. I write most of my stuff in a hybrid type environment. In other words, I have my databases on the server, but I have utilities that odbc to the server and allow me to maintain the database from my desktop.

I have desktop generators for pages but I use custom ftp apps that go in, clear pages from the server for me and pput new pages in place, that sort of thing.

So, what's your way of dealing with this stuff ?

expiring minds want to know... :blink:

Trev
04-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Notepad/Edit Pro for the making of, WS Ftp Pro for the uploading of.

I don't play with shell anymore :(

TheEnforcer
04-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Desktop and then FTP it up though I haven't done it in quite some time.

Newton
04-24-2005, 07:28 PM
From a design / video perspective, these are pretty much the basics ..

Adobe Photoshop for Bitmap images (Raster)
Coreldraw for Vector Images (Vector) although you can use adobe illustrator
Flash for animated Vectors
Notepad / Dreamweaver for HTML/PHP
Fonts from http://www.1001fonts.com
Font viewer from http://www.boilsoft.net
Gif animator for animating banners etc, although you could use Image Ready which comes with photoshop cs
Sony Vegas Video or Adobe Premiere for the video editing
Shit loads of codecs from http://www.free-codecs.com/
Any decent ftp package

Nice to have ..
3d studio max from http://www.discreet.com and you will need time to learn this as well, its a huge bastard and very flexible.
Cleaner XL also from http://www.discreet.com for video as well as Sorenson Squeeze and/or Canopus Procoder

iknowalttl
04-24-2005, 08:55 PM
I use photoshop and illustrator for anything I need to make non animated and image ready for animated gifs... Don't know anything about flash yet... Dreamweaver and notepad for sites and don't deal with video at all yet... build it desktop and upload FTP... Being a newb, I just got myself all messed up by using two different computers at different locations in addition to some server editing. With my great organization skills I ended up with most all of the outdated files on my site after changeing host. :(

Inabon
04-24-2005, 09:56 PM
dreamweaver, totalcommander (filemanagement, ftp, everything winblows explorer is not)

editpad for mass editing of multifiles and htmls and stuff

i have a file server on network so i can get to files remotely or from any computer at the office.

working on a vpn so boldy and i can have mapped drives.

photosop :rokk: imageready :rokk:

RyanLanane
04-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Can't remember which was first but all my life I have used Web Edit pro or Hot Dog Pro :D Back to using Hot Dog Pro now... hahahaha

As far as minor editing of files I still like to download to a temp directory, click edit in SecureFTP and do it through word pad real quick... re uplaoding it.. Every few days I redownload backups of important stuff to make sure i have the most recent copies.

Been tinkering with php more and more lately... The quick download, edit, and reuplaod works better than using pico through shell .. I guess it really doesn't save any time oevr having the file open in my editor, changing it and reuplaoding it as I tend to haev to edit every damn thing at least 3 tiems befre I get it right :) Maybe I should change that

gonzo
04-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Whatever it takes to get the job done.

RyanLanane
04-24-2005, 10:39 PM
And I swear, it's the keyboard....

sarettah
04-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Well :blink: when I did the topic I was kind of meaning apps for the building and maintenance, not the graphics stuff.

But, as long as we are there. I don't know of any server graphics programs. I know there is some graphic capability in some server side cms systems like content god and such but (and I could be mistaken) I think it is limited to thumbing, cropping and watermarking type stuff. Not all the fancy schmany like photoshop and illustrator.

For my graphics stuff I use mainly adobe photsjop, illustrator and image ready. But XXXphoto turned me on to what you could do in paint shop pro so I got a hold of a copy of that and have played with it some.

For flash I have used almost every product that has a free trial offer...lol... and they have all expired on me by now :)

I still use superjpg a lot for my thumbing and batch resizing stuff although I also use photshops batch capabilities.

Dravyk
04-25-2005, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by sarettah@Apr 24 2005, 10:09 PM
Well :blink: when I did the topic I was kind of meaning apps for the building and maintenance, not the graphics stuff.

But, as long as we are there. I don't know of any server graphics programs. I know there is some graphic capability in some server side cms systems like content god and such but (and I could be mistaken) I think it is limited to thumbing, cropping and watermarking type stuff. Not all the fancy schmany like photoshop and illustrator.
Content God also has a logo generator there too that can do simple effects to text (shadow, bevel, glow, psuedo-3D, etc). There's a severe limitation though for any kind of server-based graphic manipulation. Anything fancy is always going to require Photoshop, et al.

Hell Puppy
04-25-2005, 02:50 AM
Different tools for different jobs.

Trev
04-25-2005, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Dravyk+Apr 25 2005, 07:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dravyk @ Apr 25 2005, 07:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sarettah@Apr 24 2005, 10:09 PM

Content God also has a logo generator there too that can do simple effects to text (shadow, bevel, glow, psuedo-3D, etc). There's a severe limitation though for any kind of server-based graphic manipulation. Anything fancy is always going to require Photoshop, et al. [/b][/quote]
I've been looking for an app that can do online logos for something I'm setting up, any chance of a heads up, without having to get Content God as this isn't for anything adult or content related :)

Dravyk
04-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Trev+Apr 25 2005, 05:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Apr 25 2005, 05:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Dravyk@Apr 25 2005, 07:35 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-sarettah@Apr 24 2005, 10:09 PM

Content God also has a logo generator there too that can do simple effects to text (shadow, bevel, glow, psuedo-3D, etc). There's a severe limitation though for any kind of server-based graphic manipulation. Anything fancy is always going to require Photoshop, et al.
I've been looking for an app that can do online logos for something I'm setting up, any chance of a heads up, without having to get Content God as this isn't for anything adult or content related :) [/b][/quote]
Hit me up with a PM, Trev. Else my swiss-cheesed brain will forget.

Trev
04-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Dravyk+Apr 25 2005, 02:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dravyk @ Apr 25 2005, 02:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Trev@Apr 25 2005, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Dravyk@Apr 25 2005, 07:35 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-sarettah@Apr 24 2005, 10:09 PM

I've been looking for an app that can do online logos for something I'm setting up, any chance of a heads up, without having to get Content God as this isn't for anything adult or content related :)
Hit me up with a PM, Trev. Else my swiss-cheesed brain will forget. [/b][/quote]
Done :)