PDA

View Full Version : Let me please introduce myself....

sarettah
04-23-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm a man of no wealth and no taste :yowsa:

Seriously though, I wanted to introduce myself here, in the help area because truth be known, I am probably more newbie on some of this stuff than the folks piping up and saying they are newbie.

I have been doing computer stuff since 1972 (first thing I did was on the internet even :) long before they called it an internet) I woerked with computers for 8 years in the Navy (74-82) and have been making a living as either a computer operator or programmer since then. My main time employment was always in mainstream stuff, but from about 88 through 94 I also helped a friend run "The Dungeon" which was an adult non-commercial bbs.

In 1999 I started working for Overland Data Center doing back end reporting for about 250 adult sites and that is when my eyes were opened to how wide an far the adult net had grown. After a certain company got spanked real hard by the FTC, we had layoffs in July 2001 and I went back to mainstrem programming.

I started looking at adult site building and stuff sometime in late 2001. I went to newbie boards and learned how to build a site and learned some about traffic. I never did learn how to sell though, so while I can slam out a couple of hundred sites a day if I want to, I get extremely extremely poor results from them :( So, this past year or so I backed off from building sites and pushed the programmer side. I have written some handy dandy little apps and generators and such and can pretty much slam out scripts with no probvlems. BUT it has always bothered me that I was never able to master the sale. It has had me feeling like a failure for 3 years.

SO, I am back posting in the webmaster help forum (The equivalent of Oprano's Newbie section) and asking for HELP !!! I need help learning how to sell.

I can help with programming stuff, building questions etc in return for any help I receive on the sales side.

The truth be known, imho, someone coming from a retail sales (commission based) position who was successful in that probably has a better chance of making it in this biz then anyone that is coming in (like me) from apure technical background.

So, there you have it. I am showing my ass for all to see (ain't it pretty). So, you other newbies, let's hear your stories....

please

iknowalttl
04-25-2005, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@Apr 23 2005, 04:29 PM
So, there you have it. I am showing my ass for all to see (ain't it pretty). So, you other newbies, let's hear your stories....

please
Thanks for the intro... :)

I will put something up shortly

iknowalttl
05-02-2005, 01:16 AM
OK...Here's my story :) , I was in the construction industry on a sub-contractor level till the late 90's when a friend of mine hooked up with a group of spammers. He hooked me up with the tools and I learned enough about building a website to put pages on angelfire and tripod that had a single image, the words click here, and a hyperlink :ph34r: ... that paid between 3 and 5K a month till the dude hung himself :( . I didn't have the connections for the tools or the knowledge to make my own. I started to learn how to put some tools together but the spamming game was changing fast and penalties were getting bigger so I bailed.

My first computer was an Apple IIc... I learned how to write a little program that would ask a couple questions then printout a payroll check accordingly... The Florida Lotto started shortly after so I wrote a program to pick the numbers for me... had opts for fantasy five or lotto... after I had gotten everything working error free and tested many times, I spent five bucks on the output of the program and won $368 first time around :yowsa: . I thought I had really done something but found out quickly otherwise. I never buy a complete computer. I always buy pieces and upgrade the one I got... the internet always supply software for free somewhere.

Apparel-Printers (http://www.apparel-printers.com) is my first site that I have made a real attempt with. I put it together in Feb 05 it has a PR2 and growing thanks to Oprano members and thier post :) ... I need to do alot of work still to the site but have so many other things I want and need to learn and do. With several other domains needing so much I just do a tad here and there. I really want to develop Adult-Stuff (http://www.adult-stuff.com) but have so much to learn that I am torn between throwing anything together (which is what I started) or learning enough to put some type of plan together then build.

Ever since the spamming I do artwork and color seps for a print shop... I stumble through site building and installing scripts, know less about programing, and know nothing about traffic :huh: ... I have just recently gotten serious about site building for a profit so my current lack of knowledge is a temporary thing B) . Right now my only hope in helping anyone here would be by asking a question that reminded one of the vets about something that they had forgotten about... or maybe by asking a question that someone else wanted to know also... That will soon change too :rokk: .

JizBiz
05-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Without questions there is never answers.

With that said you can see your place and how important it is. No-one will ever learn anything in this forum without some people asking questions about how shit works, or why it works. B)

Definately nice to meet both of you. :rokk:

PS im an "X" construction man myself. My hands dont miss a screwdriver one bit.:)

iknowalttl
05-02-2005, 01:30 AM
JizBiz.... ICQ on?

JizBiz
05-02-2005, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by iknowalttl@May 2 2005, 12:31 AM
JizBiz.... ICQ on?
lol was typing the above while you hit me up. :ph34r: