04-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Turn your sound up

http://home.comcast.net/~berkleyjl/thehornguy.wmv

Steady
04-18-2005, 10:59 AM
MTV award night?

Trev
04-18-2005, 11:31 AM
He makes it look so easy... I thought his rendition of Vivaldi was brilliant :wnw:

:)

Dravyk
04-18-2005, 02:03 PM
And it's a good aerobics workout too!

Nickatilynx
04-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Vick!!!

Need a two min phone chat with you if you are around :)

JoesHO
04-18-2005, 03:47 PM
I would love to see one of your acts, Vick. do you only do the east coast? you are in Maryland right?

Vick
04-18-2005, 05:30 PM
he he he

Well obviously that's not me in the video. I couldn't carry a tune with a bucket

Things are happening for us here, we auditioned our new illusion act at the Baltimore Harborplace Amphitheater this past Saturday
If we pass the audition (will know Thursday) we'll be booked to play there regularly over the summer, lots of tourists and a few locals
Hopefully with that exposure we'll pick up even bigger shows and enough gigs to carry us through the winter as well.

We're had 15 minutes for the audition including set up and break down

We closed with the Houdini bit, Metamorphosis. I get bound with chain, then tied into a mailbag, then locked into a trunk. Chrissy gets on top of the trunk, raises a curtain around it, then drops the curtain and there I am unbound on top of the trunk, When the trunk is unlocked she is in the tied mailbag, bound in the same chains

We opened with Chrissy on stilts and did some gag bits which included her pouring water on my head from an empty pitcher (that's what I got for demanding water form a wench), me pulling a 8 foot straw out of my pocket and a few other quick gag bits

Nick, I ICQ'ed (yeah miracles happen). I'll be home until about 6 EST and then not sure
Look forward to speaking with you soon

Chrissy wants me to take her to see Sin City but I'm trying to pull the I'm too tired to seat in a movie seat for 2 hours
(ok I'm holding out to see what I can get in return)

Yes Joe, we are in Maryland. I really want to move to New Orleans but can't leave my son here

From what I'm hearing Royal Street in the French Quarter may be opened soon during the daytime to car traffic thereby eliminating one of the prime street performing spots
Most performers have been moved from Jackson Square already and it's mostly Tarot Card readers by St. Louis Cathedral (front of Jackson Square)
No one is allowed to work the sides of Jackson Square unless it's some sort of artist with a certain permit (we were there in January)

Carded
04-18-2005, 05:48 PM
An illusionist :)

Timing and skill combined at the highest level.

Vick
04-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Carded@Apr 18 2005, 04:49 PM
An illusionist :)

Timing and skill combined at the highest level.
Much Thanks Carded :)

Really it's more personality than anything. I swear I embody the Pulp Fiction quote
"Personality goes a long way"

some slights are challenging but most things are fairly easy

and really the magic is in the audience, without an audience there is no magic
Just a guy doing goofy stuff

Think about a comedian telling jokes in the mirror. Where's the funny?

It really is all about the audience

That's why I get such a big laugh out of performers going on about how great they are or how tough their work is (especially guys who hang out in magic shops spouting bull and only really perform for their magic club or their family)
It's not shit until it goes over with a crowd

When you get the wow's (how did you do that - which is usually a compliment in disguise), people have fun and enjoy themselves. When someone is transformed or taken away from the things that grind their ass on a daily basis, when a disabled child smiles a grin big enough to split their head .....

.... that's where the magic is

cj
04-18-2005, 09:57 PM
:wnw:

Vick, good luck with the addition - i've been awaiting news of your first break and knew it was coming soon ...

had a really vague dream the other night but you were in there on stage with cirque as the dude who rides a unicycle around and entertains the crowd between the acts. maybe a sign ;-)

can't wait to experience one of your shows - knowing your love of fun i know i'll be entertained

Vick
04-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks CJ :)

Good news is I have paid shows almost every weekend but this could be a big/good break for us and a lot more exposure

Funny thing about your dream is Chrissy has been working on learning to ride a unicycle, I've tried a few times and let's just say unicycles are very um .... not testicle friendly

not that anyone asked but this is Chrissy,
It's not a great picture, we were a little inebriated and I started playing with a camera for the first time in years
http://www.cloud9entertainment.com/cbw2.jpg

Another funny thing, you mention Cirque
Varekai will be here next month and we've already got tickets for opening weekend :awinky:

cj
04-19-2005, 01:49 AM
I just finished reading celestine prophecy so i'm watching closely for those co-incidences :awinky:

chrissy is a very attractive girl - great photogenic face ... you should get back into taking some pics, if only to do your promotional artwork and posters for your gigs etc.

re cirque, quidam was here last year and I went in about october or november ... it was the best one i've seen in a big top - moving stage etc which was pretty amazing in a portable tent.

I expect a personal invitation on your opening night of your guest appearance in cirque!!! :agrin:

Carded
04-19-2005, 06:14 AM
It shows that your art is a huge passion and the feed back from the crowd seems to be the payday for you.

Chrissy is very, very attractive indeed and if that’s the standard to photo you take when drinking, I would love to see some that you've taken sober lol.

Good luck and I hope this will be the break you've been waiting for :)

nlphoto
04-19-2005, 06:48 AM
Definitely keep in that direction Vick... one of the BEST stand-up comedians I have
ever seen is Harry Anderson... excellent mix of stand-up and magic :rokk:

Vick
04-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Well we got the letter yesterday regarding our audition last Saturday and

..... we didn't make it

They were very nice to us and have invited us back for next years auditions (whoop de do)

I personally accept 100% responsibility for us not being chosen
I was a little tight and not as personable as normal in our opening (which I have no excuse for after having performed hundreds of times for ten of thousands of spectators)

We tried to cram an illusions show into a 15 minute slot (the 15 minutes included set up and break down) so we had about 10 minutes to actually work. First 3 minutes were humor stuff to get the crowd on our side then we went into Metamorphosis which can be challenging to do in just 7 minutes

It was Chrissy's first time out in front of a crowd that size and she held up pretty well. Our characters need more development as I play the "bad" guy a little too hard to her impish assistant that gets over on me

We connected with the audience ok to good, but there may be a little negative feel towards me because I play the bad guy a little to hard to an 8 foot tall imp assistant

We did have a minor tech glitch, Chrissy hit the curtain on her way down during Metamorphosis but it didn't change the illusion one bit and no one but a professional would have noticed. Also we used our own wireless mics but their PA had a little feedback once or twice but that's to be expected

It is to be a family oriented show due to location but I have to slip in a few jokes like when being chained by a spectator I say "these chains aren't like the ones you have at home, are they?"

Overall I have to chalk it up to a good learning experience (however painful I may find that). Of course I wish I had it to do over again. Have to admit it's the first audition in my life I didn't get

Still fairly booked up for the summer but this was a big opportunity with a lot of exposure

I'm pretty bummed out about it to be honest. Was fairly sure we'd get it, but not to the point of being cocky

We are considering doing some free benefit shows at local children's hospitals to get me out of my funk. Maybe do some free shows for children's libraries over the summer as well to get the smiles going again

Still I'm bummed, sad and disappointed

and that's Show Business, guess it's time to dust myself off, pick it back up and go out again

Vick
04-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Carded@Apr 19 2005, 05:15 AM
It shows that your art is a huge passion and the feed back from the crowd seems to be the payday for you.

Chrissy is very, very attractive indeed and if that’s the standard to photo you take when drinking, I would love to see some that you've taken sober lol.

Thanks again Carded!

Vick
04-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by nlphoto@Apr 19 2005, 05:49 AM
Definitely keep in that direction Vick... one of the BEST stand-up comedians I have
ever seen is Harry Anderson... excellent mix of stand-up and magic :rokk:
Thanks NL

I'm a big Harry Anderson fan myself
I occasionally do his needle through arm bit (he did it on SNL about 15 years ago)

Also Harry Anderson has opened a magic/sideshow shop in the French Quarter and is scheduled to sometime open a restaurant to be called "Oswald's" in the French Quarter which will feature illusion entertainment

Harry started off doing con man bits in the French Quarter and has done a few books on con man games and such

Vick
04-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by cj@Apr 19 2005, 12:50 AM
chrissy is a very attractive girl - great photogenic face ... you should get back into taking some pics, if only to do your promotional artwork and posters for your gigs etc.

I expect a personal invitation on your opening night of your guest appearance in cirque!!! :agrin:
Thanks again CJ

You're on the guest list if it ever happens, which I doubt it will
But Where ever we may play or tour you'll always be on the guest list

Trev
04-23-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm sorry to hear you didn't get it Vick :(

I had hopes that this was going to be the break you had been looking for.

Vick
04-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Trev@Apr 23 2005, 01:55 PM

Thanks Trev

We'll find it somewhere else

Edited to add- on the good news side a local comedy club contacted me last night and has asked me back, I did a bit there a few months back. It's not headlining but the middle spot

Trev
04-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Vick+Apr 23 2005, 07:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Vick @ Apr 23 2005, 07:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Trev@Apr 23 2005, 01:55 PM

Thanks Trev

We'll find it somewhere else

Edited to add- on the good news side a local comedy club contacted me last night and has asked me back, I did a bit there a few months back. It's not headlining but the middle spot [/b][/quote]
That’s excellent news Vick, you might not be headlining but I figure someone with your drive and passion for what you do, it won't be long before you are :okthumb:

Carded
04-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Vick+Apr 23 2005, 10:45 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Vick @ Apr 23 2005, 10:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Carded@Apr 19 2005, 05:15 AM

Thanks again Carded! [/b][/quote]
You are most welcome.

Sorry to hear of your bad news though, seems it holds true that show business is the toughest business to crack.

With your love for your art I'm sure your break is on its way :)

Vick
04-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Funny thing
I'm not much of a believer in fate or destiny unless you make your own
(a very good friend said to me "It was a path that you were NOT destined to make. Which only means there is a better path for you") but like I said I don't put much stock in that school of thought

But sometimes when one door closes, others open

I posted about the call from the comedy club last night about a return engagement
and as of this evening another fairly big gig came in

We've been hired to entertain ...........

..... a couple thousand Star Wars fans

It's a strange gig but, we'll do it

and we don't have to do anything Star Wars related

Vick
04-23-2005, 11:21 PM
and to give credit and thanks where due my partner and fiancée Chrissy has been incredible through the whole thing

She knew I was bummed about it and has really been super, supportive and just great about everything

But she also is my best (and sometimes harshest) critic

Trev
04-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Vick@Apr 24 2005, 04:22 AM
and to give credit and thanks where due my partner and fiancée Chrissy has been incredible through the whole thing

She knew I was bummed about it and has really been super, supportive and just great about everything

But she also is my best (and sometimes harshest) critic
I have a woman that assumes that roll in my life as well.

:unsure:

Excellent news about the Star Wars gig, shame you don't have to dress up as Master Yoda :D

Dravyk
04-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Likewise, sorry you didn't get the gig, Vick. :(

I do have to say though

But sometimes when one door closes, others open
You have the right attitude! :okthumb:

Vick
04-25-2005, 04:35 PM
I'd like to say thanks to all of you for all the kinds words and support

It is sincerely appreciated

Plus thanks for you all reading through my bullshit, trial and tribulations

Trev