PDA

View Full Version : I hate Norton !

sarettah
04-16-2005, 10:31 PM
6 hours into trying to get a clean install of Norton Internet Security on to my kid's Mom's computer.

She had installed it a while back but it was never right. The last virus defs they had on it were from a month ago.

I have referenced the website, knowledge base, everything I can find and none of it has been right yet.

AAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH...

Currently laying a clean copy of windows over the top to try to get the registry clean. I've cleaned it with several different tools and even went through by hand. There isn't a trace of norton or symantec anythingg on the computer. Go to do the install and it tells me that I need to uninstall what is there ?? There isn't anything to uninstall dammit.

Every version of Norton anything that I have had to deal with since nav 2003 has been shit (2003 is a nice clean easy install). And the biggest joke is tech support, according to their site, if you call and it is a problem with their software then it will be no charge, however if they decide it is a problem on your end its like a $50/hour charge. I wonder how many times they have found it to be a problem with their proggy, I would guess ZERO, ZIP, NADA.

anyway, back to work on it. Just had to fucking gripe....

I don't know how your average run of the mill user gets through this shit.

Newton
04-16-2005, 10:41 PM
I believe you want jv16 powertools i think it is, a superb registry cleaner and will strip out the odd bits of shit lying around in the registry. Personally I have never had any problems with norton but good luck with the fresh install :okthumb:

Inabon
04-17-2005, 12:26 AM
if i was you just format and reinstall then go with antivirus (norton antivirus) and get a nice appliance firewall where you can disable active x and all that good virus stuff.

sarettah
04-17-2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Inabon@Apr 16 2005, 11:27 PM
if i was you just format and reinstall then go with antivirus (norton antivirus) and get a nice appliance firewall where you can disable active x and all that good virus stuff.
Thats where I'm at... Making a full copy of the harddrive first so I can slap data back into place when I'm done.

Great minds think alike.. I just hate to have to wipe it if I don't have to because now I have to worry about if they know all their passwords etc. They are users not techies. And user is a four letter word.... :okthumb:

sarettah
04-17-2005, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Newton@Apr 16 2005, 09:42 PM
I believe you want jv16 powertools i think it is, a superb registry cleaner and will strip out the odd bits of shit lying around in the registry. Personally I have never had any problems with norton but good luck with the fresh install :okthumb:
I will add it to my toolbox. I have bunches of different registry tools but none is seeming to take care of it. At this point I have it so scrambled out that I just need to wipe it.

I have always sworn by Norton antivirus, but their installer/uninstaller for internet security could definitely use some fucking work.

I found the exact error that she was getting out on the knowledge base. It is caused by their uninstaller leaving a directory in place and because that directory is already there when you go to install the new product, files that are supposed to be in that directory end up missing. :headwall:

Easy enough for a programmer to write code that goes..."Oh, that directory is there so let's not create it but let's put the files we need in to it"...but no, whoever put this together seems to have assumed that if the directory is there then the files we need must also be there. Of course the directory is the symantec common directory that has been in use for about the past 10 years or so :headwall: :headwall: So it's not like it takes "new" thinking here.

anyway, enough griping.... back to work

Hell Puppy
04-17-2005, 02:08 AM
I still run 2003.

I refuse to use the newer stuff on general principle. All of their activation crap and efforts to make sure you dont put it on more than one machine without paying them is why you're having trouble. They hide shit and wont let you do a complete uninstall for fear you'll shit 'em out of a year's license fee.

Trev
04-17-2005, 05:00 AM
I'm using 2004 and it's sweet, had a problem the other day when re-installing is because on activation it came back with a "You have exceeded the maximum number of activations for the Key".

A quick phone call to them and it was reset and I'm flying again.

The Other Steve
04-17-2005, 06:37 AM
Sarettah - I can't believe that you're still using Nortons - Nortons is the biggest pile of 6 week old dog pooh on the Net today.

Try Kaspersky for a month - you get a free trial for a month - it updates 3 to 4 times a day and it has kept our computers as clean as a whistle ever since we installed it months ago.

Only newbies and surfers still use Nortons.

Trev
04-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by The Other Steve@Apr 17 2005, 11:38 AM
:blink: :huh: :unsure:

Dravyk
04-17-2005, 09:25 AM
For about 20 years I was a giant support of Norton. Then three years ago I had massive computer problems. Long story short, but trial and error, two computers in 14 days and five complete wipe and reinstalls later there was one conclusion: the thing screwing up both the old and the new computer was Norton.

I've been a big AVG fan ever since. And I won't use Norton anything... NAV is the worse, but I trust anything they have anymore. Whether MS did something sneaky or Norton lost their minds, no idea, all I know is Norton cannot handle Fat32!!!

Leave Norton go with the old millenium. It has no place in this one.

sarettah
04-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by The Other Steve@Apr 17 2005, 05:38 AM
Sarettah - I can't believe that you're still using Nortons - Nortons is the biggest pile of 6 week old dog pooh on the Net today.

Try Kaspersky for a month - you get a free trial for a month - it updates 3 to 4 times a day and it has kept our computers as clean as a whistle ever since we installed it months ago.

Steve did you read the part where this is NOT my computer we are talking about ?

edited in: don't mean to sound bitchy, just that kind of morning lololol

sarettah
04-17-2005, 10:43 AM
I forgot to mention throughout this that this is an Acer PII 450, so it runs a bit slower than I am used to and everything you do takes 10 times as long...

adds to the frustration quite a bit.

Vick
04-17-2005, 10:49 AM
What about Ralph Kramden?

sarettah
04-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Vick@Apr 17 2005, 09:50 AM
What about Ralph Kramden?
Him too !!!!

(but Alice and Trixie were hot :okthumb: )

Inabon
04-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by sarettah+Apr 16 2005, 11:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sarettah @ Apr 16 2005, 11:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Inabon@Apr 16 2005, 11:27 PM
Thats where I'm at... Making a full copy of the harddrive first so I can slap data back into place when I'm done.

Great minds think alike.. I just hate to have to wipe it if I don't have to because now I have to worry about if they know all their passwords etc. They are users not techies. And user is a four letter word.... :okthumb: [/b][/quote]
not to put down software protections but if they are users then treat them as users.. take away security responsibility from them. buy yourself a nice applience firewall 150 to 200 bucks put it infront of them and you control it. if you do software you run the risk of them clicking yes when they should click no and viceversa. trust me i have the same fucking problem with a fool at my office but he is incharge of surfing he just doesnīt get the fact that you should not click on every fucking shit. i went crazy and put a sonicwall (bigger more xpensive) but it was worth it.

Inabon
04-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Trev+Apr 17 2005, 05:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Apr 17 2005, 05:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Other Steve@Apr 17 2005, 11:38 AM
:blink: :huh: :unsure: [/b][/quote]
kapers whooo??? common man dont put norton down norton is for peeps that knowhow to work pcs. i use corporate and trust me it kicks anything thats out thereīs ass however no kaperss who no macaffe no other software can handle spyware

2 different things

spyware is turning out to be more harmfull than virus.

Inabon
04-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Dravyk@Apr 17 2005, 08:26 AM
For about 20 years I was a giant support of Norton. Then three years ago I had massive computer problems. Long story short, but trial and error, two computers in 14 days and five complete wipe and reinstalls later there was one conclusion: the thing screwing up both the old and the new computer was Norton.

I've been a big AVG fan ever since. And I won't use Norton anything... NAV is the worse, but I trust anything they have anymore. Whether MS did something sneaky or Norton lost their minds, no idea, all I know is Norton cannot handle Fat32!!!

AVG sucks monkey ass. their virus engine sucks if you want to not find shit stick to AVG.

NAV is the best i have have used it for 7 plus years no bugs bit me.

like i said b4 its spyware that i am worried about and so far no software i have tested works as it should.

Trev
04-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Inabon+Apr 17 2005, 05:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Inabon @ Apr 17 2005, 05:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Trev@Apr 17 2005, 05:50 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-The Other Steve@Apr 17 2005, 11:38 AM
kapers whooo??? common man dont put norton down norton is for peeps that knowhow to work pcs. i use corporate and trust me it kicks anything thats out thereīs ass however no kaperss who no macaffe no other software can handle spyware

2 different things

spyware is turning out to be more harmfull than virus. [/b][/quote]
Don't talk about spyware to me lol, I've spent way to much time fixing my shit thanks to spyware this week :(

Inabon
04-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Trev+Apr 17 2005, 11:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Apr 17 2005, 11:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Inabon@Apr 17 2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Trev@Apr 17 2005, 05:50 AM

2 different things

Don't talk about spyware to me lol, I've spent way to much time fixing my shit thanks to spyware this week :( [/b][/quote]
my condolences. i know the feeling. :headwall:

Inabon
04-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Dravyk@Apr 17 2005, 08:26 AM
Whether MS did something sneaky or Norton lost their minds, no idea, all I know is Norton cannot handle Fat32!!!

:blink: :blink: :blink:

why are you still using fat32????

ntfs is more secure man. are you still running windows 98???

Trev
04-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Inabon+Apr 17 2005, 05:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Inabon @ Apr 17 2005, 05:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Trev@Apr 17 2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Inabon@Apr 17 2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Trev@Apr 17 2005, 05:50 AM

2 different things

Don't talk about spyware to me lol, I've spent way to much time fixing my shit thanks to spyware this week :(
my condolences. i know the feeling. :headwall: [/b][/quote]
Thanks to them fucking bastards at nabaza :steemed: :grrr:

Trev
04-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Inabon+Apr 17 2005, 05:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Inabon @ Apr 17 2005, 05:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dravyk@Apr 17 2005, 08:26 AM
Whether MS did something sneaky or Norton lost their minds, no idea, all I know is Norton cannot handle Fat32!!!

ntfs is more secure man. are you still running windows 98??? [/b][/quote]
You can choose to install XP in fat32 as well

Inabon
04-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Trev+Apr 17 2005, 11:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Apr 17 2005, 11:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Inabon@Apr 17 2005, 05:46 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Dravyk@Apr 17 2005, 08:26 AM

You can choose to install XP in fat32 as well [/b][/quote]
i know but thats like putting a 4 clinder engine in to a brand new expedition

the shit is going to fuck up man..

:)

fat32 gives you less productivity

clusters donīt hold much, they get fragmented more

and it is last century technology (ntfs is too but it is new fairly new to home computers)

change to ntfs if you are formatting go with ntfs. then go in to advanced security and start adding and taking away permissions just like a server man you will have a tighter box.

Trev
04-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Inabon+Apr 17 2005, 05:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Inabon @ Apr 17 2005, 05:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Trev@Apr 17 2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Inabon@Apr 17 2005, 05:46 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Dravyk@Apr 17 2005, 08:26 AM

You can choose to install XP in fat32 as well
i know but thats like putting a 4 clinder engine in to a brand new expedition

the shit is going to fuck up man..

:)

fat32 gives you less productivity

clusters donīt hold much, they get fragmented more

and it is last century technology (ntfs is too but it is new fairly new to home computers)

change to ntfs if you are formatting go with ntfs. then go in to advanced security and start adding and taking away permissions just like a server man you will have a tighter box. [/b][/quote]
Damn I've been dumb this week :( :unsure:

sarettah
04-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Inabon+Apr 17 2005, 11:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Inabon @ Apr 17 2005, 11:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by sarettah@Apr 16 2005, 11:57 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Inabon@Apr 16 2005, 11:27 PM

Great minds think alike.. I just hate to have to wipe it if I don't have to because now I have to worry about if they know all their passwords etc. They are users not techies. And user is a four letter word.... :okthumb:
not to put down software protections but if they are users then treat them as users.. take away security responsibility from them. buy yourself a nice applience firewall 150 to 200 bucks put it infront of them and you control it. if you do software you run the risk of them clicking yes when they should click no and viceversa. trust me i have the same fucking problem with a fool at my office but he is incharge of surfing he just doesnīt get the fact that you should not click on every fucking shit. i went crazy and put a sonicwall (bigger more xpensive) but it was worth it. [/b][/quote]
I have them going through a rouer with all the ports blocked.

When her nav 2003 subscription expired, she went out to the symantec site to renew (she should have called me but she didn't) and they forced her to pick either nav2005 or norton internet security. She decided on the NIS, not me.

So, I am basically just trying to keep the peace and not have to lay out any more cash on the puters behalf.

I was prepared this morning to go pick them up a chepo P4 box but decided against it.

Anyway, I have it all up and working now amd just reinstalling various pieces of software so I can take it back to them this afternoon.

Thanx for all the help and advice :)

Armstrong
04-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Dravyk@Apr 17 2005, 05:26 AM

I just have to agree with Inabon! :okthumb:

Ran NAV for years and my system seemed to run real slow and I blamed NAV! Switched it out for AVG and everything was smooth.

3 months later I do an online virus check at Nortons and holy hell if I'm not loaded. NAV for me from now on, I'll take slower for fucked!

Inabon
04-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Armstrong+Apr 17 2005, 05:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Armstrong @ Apr 17 2005, 05:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dravyk@Apr 17 2005, 05:26 AM

Ran NAV for years and my system seemed to run real slow and I blamed NAV! Switched it out for AVG and everything was smooth.

3 months later I do an online virus check at Nortons and holy hell if I'm not loaded. NAV for me from now on, I'll take slower for fucked! [/b][/quote]
there is a trick for that. NAV will bog down your computer if you use default realtime protection settings. go back to them and change the way it does the virus check. instead of checking all files opened modified or moved just set it to check files newly created.

that should give you a couple of clocks of speed :)

Dravyk
04-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Inabon@Apr 17 2005, 11:38 AM
AVG sucks monkey ass. their virus engine sucks if you want to not find shit stick to AVG.

NAV is the best i have have used it for 7 plus years no bugs bit me.

like i said b4 its spyware that i am worried about and so far no software i have tested works as it should.
AVG has a found a shit load of stuff NAV said was just fine.

You just stick with NAV. I won't.

Dravyk
04-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Inabon+Apr 17 2005, 11:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Inabon @ Apr 17 2005, 11:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dravyk@Apr 17 2005, 08:26 AM

ntfs is more secure man. are you still running windows 98??? [/b][/quote]
I wasn't quite correct there. But I wasn't wrong either.

Windows XP reports the drives as FAT32. Don't believe me? Click My Computer/your drive/properties.

That said, you're right it really is NTFS ... but I made the stupid mistake of reporting exactly what the stupid operating system was reporting as it's file allocation system. :P

Dravyk
04-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Armstrong@Apr 17 2005, 05:46 PM

3 months later I do an online virus check at Nortons and holy hell if I'm not loaded. NAV for me from now on, I'll take slower for fucked!
And I've had the exact opposite probems. NAV was slow, even with real-time turned off. AND it missed tons of infected files.

AVG is fast, silent, quick and catches shit that went flying past NAV.

Like PC vs MAC, I'm sure everyone here is going to agree what works for them works best. So hey, cool by me. A isn't better, B isn't better, whatever works for each of us is best.

PornoDoggy
04-18-2005, 01:40 AM
I installed XP on this PC in January, 2002. Ran McAfee and had all kinds of trouble. Ran AVG and had all kinds of trouble. Switched to Nortons and haven't had a bit of trouble since.

Lightning
04-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Inabon@Apr 17 2005, 12:27 AM
That's what I would recommend as well. :unsure:

latinafind
04-20-2005, 05:11 PM
Good info. I was having some anti virus issues too. Driving me nuts!

Jim_Gunn
04-21-2005, 02:05 AM
I just switched from NAV 2003 because my subscription expired, and I have installed a free one that according to reviews, works even better than Norton is working great so far- Avast (version 4.6)

kath
04-21-2005, 02:50 PM
I too was a big supporter/believer in Norton until recently... I was having so many PC problems I thought it was going to be time to go shopping.... then a friend suggested that I ditch Norton... it made all the difference in the world. Things I had previously blamed on Outlook (I even switched clients eventually), ICQ and other would-be culprits, I found to have all been messed up by Norton.

I'll never go back.... and I agree, the new program found things that Norton had thought were OK - yet let me use my email proggies, IM clients and other programs that Norton had balked at before.

<_<