PDA

View Full Version : Chargebacks

Becki
04-16-2005, 07:59 AM
I got my first chargeback today :(

Have programs always passed the chargebacks back to the webmasters?

Inabon
04-16-2005, 08:39 AM
not all programs i have noticed that ccbill is doing it.

makes sense though why get paid for something that was returned. i think it is a way to protect processor status.

on this issue i have to say yeah its the way it has to be. if you start getting a lot of chargebacks drop the program after reviewing your advertising strategy maybe you said it had big boobs and the site did not have that much.

etc etc.

before we start another sponsor war i am just giving my 2 cents not pointing out hehe

ttyl

Becki
04-16-2005, 11:35 AM
I guess it is a little selfish to expect a program to absorb all the chargebacks but the sponsor I've been charged back with is the only one that does this (as far as I'm aware)

Or maybe my other sponsors do the chargebacks in some other way.....

Lee
04-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Becki@Apr 16 2005, 07:36 AM
I beleive they call it 'shaving' ;)

Becki
04-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Lee+Apr 16 2005, 07:45 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lee @ Apr 16 2005, 07:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Becki@Apr 16 2005, 07:36 AM
I beleive they call it 'shaving' ;) [/b][/quote]
I was going to say that lol :lol:

Then mention my ratio from last weekend but I thought better of it, even though my ratio went all to hell on the sponsors that don't pass the chargeback back to the webmaster :unsure:

runner
04-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Becki+Apr 16 2005, 07:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Becki @ Apr 16 2005, 07:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Lee@Apr 16 2005, 07:45 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Becki@Apr 16 2005, 07:36 AM
I beleive they call it 'shaving' ;)
I was going to say that lol :lol:

Then mention my ratio from last weekend but I thought better of it, even though my ratio went all to hell on the sponsors that don't pass the chargeback back to the webmaster :unsure: [/b][/quote]
Shhh or you'll give the game away :ph34r:

sarettah
04-17-2005, 10:50 AM
just bumping this cause it's an actual business thread :)

Vick
04-17-2005, 10:57 AM
chargebacks are passed on or you are shaved harder (in most cases)

I'd rather have the CB's passed on

and Cloud 9 Cash does charge the CB's back to the webmaster but Cloud 9 Cash pays all processing fees for our webmasters

Trev
04-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by sarettah@Apr 17 2005, 03:51 PM
just bumping this cause it's an actual business thread :)
Thats one thing I'll give Becki, she wants to know everything :)

Trev
04-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Vick@Apr 17 2005, 03:58 PM
chargebacks are passed on or you are shaved harder (in most cases)

I'd rather have the CB's passed on

and Cloud 9 Cash does charge the CB's back to the webmaster but Cloud 9 Cash pays all processing fees for our webmasters
I'd rather get C/B's than shaved, but can programs do false C/B's as an alternative to shaving is what worries me :unsure:

cj
04-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Trev, of course a program could fake a chargeback ... its one of the other many areas that I was going to point out in that shaving thread but never made it to that point.

I don't think it is much of a problem, but it could be an easy excuse for a company to deduct amounts from your checks ...

If a program is passing chargebacks onto you, you should ask them what they do to prevent chargebacks ... at least understand what it is they are deducting and see if they can give you a reason.

chargebacks, with the exception of educated surfers who will do it anyway, are a direct reflection on 2 things - the type/method of processing and the marketing of the site.

In an ideal world, a sponsor would give you a login to their site prior to you sending traffic so you could see what to market - not just what's on their tour, but what's inside too. Yes the program should provide you with tours that do this, but they don't always do a good job.

You mentioned your ratios went to shit on the programs that don't deduct chargebacks? It is likely a co-incidence, but this could be related to the scrub of the program.

3rd party processors tend to have a higher scrub because of the volumes of transactions they have put through in the past and their higher risk - think how many surfers over the years have charged back a ccbill or ibill transaction - likely that person won't be able to join your sponsor using that same card which results in a decline and therefore lower ratios/less joins for you.

If your sponsor is using their own merchant account, you may find the scrub (ie, your conversion!) moves around a lot depending on the current risk position of the account holder. If the merchant account has a lot of chargebacks 1 month, they would tighten the scrub to prevent the chargeback rate from blowing out. When a merchant account is new it converts extremely well, until the scrub list gets built up and the first batch of chargebacks comes in ...

There's obviously so much more to it than that, but in issues of chargebacks and conversions, the scrub is the biggest controlling factor followed closely by inaccurate marketing.

Becki
04-18-2005, 05:25 AM
cj you are becoming my idol :wnw:

Very informative post and full of food for thought :)

DrGuile
04-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Most rev-share programs pass back refunds and chargebacks, most pay-per-signup do not.

We, personally, trust our anti-fraud enough that we do not pass chargebacks back. This is not an invitation to start fucking with us (to you scammers out there) because we will cancel an account for fraud.

But, like CJ says, if you have confidence in what you do, it shouldnt be a problem. And there's nothing I hate more than seeing a negative in my stats... it just shouldnt go that way ;) (we also dont charge for processing ;))

*KK*
04-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Check your sponsors terms and conditions Becki, that's where you will find the policy on cb's for each one.

Armstrong
04-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Damn Becki!

Another gem of a question! Thanks for all the advice people :wnw:

Becki
04-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Thank you to everyone because your insight, advice and information is priceless :)

cj
04-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Becki@Apr 18 2005, 04:26 AM
cj you are becoming my idol :wnw:

Very informative post and full of food for thought :)
LOL
careful Becki, some people just shouldn't be idolized :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

or you may find yourself in a bathtub with a blowup doll and a bottle of jack daniels :lol:

when you ask good questions, you generally get good answers ;-)