PDA

View Full Version : will google ever be tackled

Biggy
04-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Do you see this as happening within the next 2-3 years, and a bigger player in the SE realm than google?

Nickatilynx
04-11-2005, 09:32 PM
I believe so.

Wehave had AV
Yahoo

The net moves fast...

cj
04-11-2005, 09:34 PM
alta vista

:biglaugh: :lol:

remember when it didn't even have its own domain? altavista.digital.com or something?!?!?

:biglaugh:

no, i don't think google will stay the biggest ... msn might be next, or a complete unknown might be it ...

sarettah
04-11-2005, 09:50 PM
From my perspective, right now Yahoo is delivering the most pertinent results.

Doesn't mean that more folks are using them though.

Jace
04-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@Apr 11 2005, 05:51 PM

yahoo is kicking ass on relvant search results, that is for sure

it seems like any time i search google nowadays all I get is spam spam spam....at least the first 30 results are not one bit relavent to what I search for and just bot repsponses with your search term filled into the title

Winetalk.com
04-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@Apr 11 2005, 08:51 PM

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=wine+chat...ggle=1&ei=UTF-8 (http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=wine+chat+boards&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8)
(Good Search Engine)

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=wine+...oards&FORM=QBHP (http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=wine+chat+boards&FORM=QBHP)
(Good Search Engine)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wine+chat+boards
(piece of crap, Google sucks major ass)

Incidentally, Google and Yahoo are now sued for overcharging clients up to 20% and not giving credits for fraudulent clicks.

Mark my word,
Microsoft will do them in like it always does with competition.

Biggy
04-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Winetalk.com+Apr 11 2005, 06:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Winetalk.com @ Apr 11 2005, 06:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sarettah@Apr 11 2005, 08:51 PM

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=wine+chat...ggle=1&ei=UTF-8 (http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=wine+chat+boards&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8)
(Good Search Engine)

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=wine+...oards&FORM=QBHP (http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=wine+chat+boards&FORM=QBHP)
(Good Search Engine)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wine+chat+boards
(piece of crap, Google sucks major ass)

Incidentally, Google and Yahoo are now sued for overcharging clients up to 20% and not giving credits for fraudulent clicks.

Mark my word,
Microsoft will do them in like it always does with competition. [/b][/quote]
i say the same thing, if anyone is going to do it - MSFT will.

But they still have a hell of a way to go.

Mike AI
04-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Bill can do anything.

Hell Puppy
04-12-2005, 01:14 AM
Google is positioned to be a player for a long time and continues to make the right moves. Will they hang onto number 1? That's tougher to call, but I dont look for them to fade away into a shadow of themselves like so many other engines have done.

For one thing, they are the first engine to survive a yahoo cast off. In the past, yahoo could bring an engine up by using that engines results to supplement it's own. But as soon as Yahoo doesn't renew that contract and picks a new partner, the old one falls like a rock. It happened to Altavista, Inktomi, etc. Google survived mostly unscathed. Yahoo has bought up most of the other engines and their technology to fold into their own now. So effectively we now have 3 main players: Google, Yahoo and Microsoft.

Google is wisely spreading their wings with everything from the mapping software seen in another thread to Gmail to eBlogger. This puts them on ground to compete with Yahoo and Microsoft in the community aspect of things.

Microsoft is the 800 pound gorilla, and usually gets anything it wants. But in this case, Google has been hiring some of Microsoft's brightest stars away for the last couple of years. Dont be surprised to see a Google browser based on Mozilla this year. Further, dont be surprised if it doesn't get scooped up as the default browser by some major ISPs.

The real winner 5 years down the road is the one who can deliver custom content directly to the surfer based on that surfers own tastes and habits. There's more pieces to that than just an engine. I give Google a slight edge because their technology in this regard is several steps ahead of both Microsoft and Yahoo.

No matter which one emerges with a lead in that field, look for the remaining two to merge.

Now I'll put my crystal ball away.

Rikk
04-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy@Apr 11 2005, 09:15 PM
Google is positioned to be a player for a long time and continues to make the right moves. Will they hang onto number 1? That's tougher to call, but I dont look for them to fade away into a shadow of themselves like so many other engines have done.

For one thing, they are the first engine to survive a yahoo cast off. In the past, yahoo could bring an engine up by using that engines results to supplement it's own. But as soon as Yahoo doesn't renew that contract and picks a new partner, the old one falls like a rock. It happened to Altavista, Inktomi, etc. Google survived mostly unscathed. Yahoo has bought up most of the other engines and their technology to fold into their own now. So effectively we now have 3 main players: Google, Yahoo and Microsoft.

Google is wisely spreading their wings with everything from the mapping software seen in another thread to Gmail to eBlogger. This puts them on ground to compete with Yahoo and Microsoft in the community aspect of things.

Microsoft is the 800 pound gorilla, and usually gets anything it wants. But in this case, Google has been hiring some of Microsoft's brightest stars away for the last couple of years. Dont be surprised to see a Google browser based on Mozilla this year. Further, dont be surprised if it doesn't get scooped up as the default browser by some major ISPs.

The real winner 5 years down the road is the one who can deliver custom content directly to the surfer based on that surfers own tastes and habits. There's more pieces to that than just an engine. I give Google a slight edge because their technology in this regard is several steps ahead of both Microsoft and Yahoo.

No matter which one emerges with a lead in that field, look for the remaining two to merge.

Your a guy in the know by the looks of things :)

What do you think about MSN's new blog spaces? I've been playing with mine even though its still in beta and theres allot of great things that can be done. Do you think it could ever be as big as googles blog? Considering that when Messenger 7.0 comes out of beta everyone will have a little button right there to set-up their space.

Jesse_DD
04-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Ever is a long time.

But not in the next 2 years.

grimm
04-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Biggy@Apr 11 2005, 05:24 PM
Do you see this as happening within the next 2-3 years, and a bigger player in the SE realm than google?
msn search will be fast approaching in googles rear view mirror, esp with the next version of windows based solely around msn search.

Mike AI
04-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by grimm+Apr 12 2005, 09:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (grimm @ Apr 12 2005, 09:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggy@Apr 11 2005, 05:24 PM
msn search will be fast approaching in googles rear view mirror, esp with the next version of windows based solely around msn search. [/b][/quote]

Grimm that is M$ trump card. They control the desktop!

grimm
04-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Apr 12 2005, 06:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Apr 12 2005, 06:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by grimm@Apr 12 2005, 09:16 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Biggy@Apr 11 2005, 05:24 PM
msn search will be fast approaching in googles rear view mirror, esp with the next version of windows based solely around msn search.

Grimm that is M$ trump card. They control the desktop! [/b][/quote]
yep... its going to be hard for google to keep up unless they compete in an OS market with a superior product that is easier to use.(unlike linux). the amazing effectiveness of a built in desktop search engine is all because people tend to use what is right in front of them. so as you have every pc and laptop shipping out with the new os, the harge will begin.

rendh
04-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Rikk+Apr 12 2005, 05:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rikk @ Apr 12 2005, 05:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hell Puppy@Apr 11 2005, 09:15 PM

What do you think about MSN's new blog spaces? I've been playing with mine even though its still in beta and theres allot of great things that can be done. Do you think it could ever be as big as googles blog? Considering that when Messenger 7.0 comes out of beta everyone will have a little button right there to set-up their space. [/b][/quote]
MSN Groups are good also :)

Trev
04-12-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by rendh@Apr 12 2005, 07:47 PM

What do you think about MSN's new blog spaces? I've been playing with mine even though its still in beta and theres allot of great things that can be done. Do you think it could ever be as big as googles blog? Considering that when Messenger 7.0 comes out of beta everyone will have a little button right there to set-up their space.
MSN Groups are good also :)
Both are good for getting eyes looking at your stuff but there are good ways to get PR and good link relevancy through MSN's other offerings.

Don't forget the amount of underage members over at MSN either.

:)