PDA

View Full Version : More fish food!

TheEnforcer
04-07-2005, 02:35 PM
http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/...ning%20Standard (http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/17768049?source=Evening%20Standard)

School's out for supper
By Barry Wigmore in Miami, Daily Mail,
7 April 2005
As three holidaymakers splash happily in the waves off Palm Beach, a huge and menacing mass of sharks gathers only yards away.

Look here too

• British surfer survives shark attack
• Gran swallowed by shark as big as a helicopter

They could have made a meal of the tourists within seconds.

Thankfully, the migrating spinner and blacktip sharks found enough to eat among the sardines, squid and anchovies off Florida's Atlantic coast.

But many incidents have been recorded of them attacking swimmers after

mistaking their splashing movements and shiny jewellery for shoals of fish.

The three people who escaped were in the water because they were on a stretch of sand not patrolled by lifeguards. By last night, however, swimming had been banned along a 60-mile stretch north of Miami.

One local said: 'I've been working here for 20 years and I've never seen as many sharks as this.' Lifeguard chief Paul Milne said: 'We are closing the beaches to swimmers because we don't want to tempt fate.'

Some tourists wandered along the beaches to view the sharks through binoculars. Londoner Clive Barker, 28, who was there with his girlfriend, Sue Collins, 25, said: 'It's not often you get a chance to see so many sharks and we'll go back to our hotel pool when we want to swim.'
--------------------------------------------------------

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/14741359

Gran swallowed by shark as big as a helicopter
From Jane Flanagan In Johannesburg, Daily Mail
16 November 2004
An elderly woman was devoured by a 22ft great white shark as she took a morning dip at a tourist beach in South Africa yesterday.

Witnesses including children saw the beast attack 77-year-old grandmother Tyna Webb three times then circle her before dragging her beneath the waves 60ft off Fish Hoek beach, Cape Town.

Her red swimming cap floating on the swell was all that was left.

Rescuers who searched in vain said they had spotted a shark 'as big as a helicopter'.

Paul Dennett watched the horror from his beachside home along with his fiancȥ and her daughter.

He said he saw a wild thrashing in the sea and at first thought the shark was attacking a seal.

'Then I saw somebody in the water. There was a hell of a lot of blood,' he said.

' I then saw the shark circle around the victim, and then in just one big mouth, and not even breaching the water, took her in.'

Another witness said the shark,

'took her, leaving her lying in the water, and then came back for her again and again'. Mrs Webb, who lived alone locally, had regularly bathed there at dawn for 17 years.

'She swam every day, except on Sundays. Then she would walk down to the church,' said Lorraine Lemmon-Warde, one of a group of friends who were with her.

'She was a tall, very elegant, handsome lady. She was athletic and in excellent health,' she added.

Although further out than the rest of them, Mrs Webb was still in shallow water.

She had often been warned not to go too far out but always said, 'When it's my time, it will be my time,' said Mrs Lemmon-Warde.

An air-sea rescue mission failed to find a body.

Craig Lambinon, of the National Sea Rescue Institute said a shark had been spotted in the vicinity, which he said was 'bigger than the helicopter - huge'.

He added that it was highly unusual for a great white to repeatedly attack a person.

He suspected that fish released by fishermen in the area may have created a feeding frenzy.

Bait has been put out to attract sharks for the benefit of tourists diving in cages. Prince Harry went on such a dive this year during a visit to Cape Town.

It was the third shark attack in the area in just over a year and the bay has now been closed to bathers and surfers until further notice.

The great white is found in large numbers around South Africa. Sightings in Fish Hoek bay have increased dramatically in recent years
==========================================

AS BIG AS A FUCKING HELICOPTER!!

Trev
04-07-2005, 04:07 PM
You really do need to talk to someone... someone that charges by the hour... oh yeah... and keeps their clothes on :)

Winetalk.com
04-07-2005, 04:41 PM
http://www.heqmedia.com/images/7_70.jpg

LionDollars
04-07-2005, 05:01 PM
What a shame to hear of someone being taken by a shark.

Though i will say your MAD if you swim on a beach that does not have Shark Nets in places like Australia and South Africa.

Most often a shark will spit out surfers, literally spits them out... debate has been had as to whether its the tase of neoprene wetsuit, or of human blood that they do not like.

It is unusual to hear of a shark coming back time and time again... but i wonder if everyone who witnessed it were so stressed by seeing perhaps two attacks that they have turned it into more than a couple of bites...

Either way the poor old girl is gone, but she said that her time would come when she was due and thats the way to live your life (though i aint swimming in south africa!!!)

I dive regularly... always looking for sharks.
Have dived with sharks close to 3 meters, loved it.. because sharks are not hungry and dont bother divers. (afraid of the bubbles)
I have even grabbed a White Tip reef shark on its tail while is was sleeping in the sand in Malaysia.

L$

Newton
04-07-2005, 05:11 PM
TE you think there is a shark out there with your name on it?

Trev
04-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Newton@Apr 7 2005, 10:12 PM
If there is do you think we could catch it :devil:

Newton
04-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Trev+Apr 7 2005, 01:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Apr 7 2005, 01:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Newton@Apr 7 2005, 10:12 PM
If there is do you think we could catch it :devil: [/b][/quote]
Damien Hurst it?

Trev
04-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Newton+Apr 7 2005, 10:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Newton @ Apr 7 2005, 10:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Trev@Apr 7 2005, 01:14 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Newton@Apr 7 2005, 10:12 PM
Damien Hurst it? [/b][/quote]
oh hell no!

Let TE know we got it and setup a recuring... hmm I'm thinking sharkbaitblackmail.com

TheEnforcer
04-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Newton@Apr 7 2005, 04:12 PM
If I was silly enough to swim in the ocean yes I most certainly do!! <_<

Newton
04-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Trev+Apr 7 2005, 01:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Apr 7 2005, 01:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Newton@Apr 7 2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Trev@Apr 7 2005, 01:14 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Newton@Apr 7 2005, 10:12 PM
Damien Hurst it?
oh hell no!

Let TE know we got it and setup a recuring... hmm I'm thinking sharkbaitblackmail.com [/b][/quote]
hmmm i have squits.com?

Newton
04-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer+Apr 7 2005, 02:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheEnforcer @ Apr 7 2005, 02:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Newton@Apr 7 2005, 04:12 PM
If I was silly enough to swim in the ocean yes I most certainly do!! <_< [/b][/quote]
Heated swimming pool is far nicer ;)

Trev
04-07-2005, 06:31 PM
He's got a tub aint he...

Squits... hmm... Yeah it's the one!