PDA

View Full Version : Haven't installed SP2 yet ?

sarettah
04-06-2005, 02:04 PM
http://www.ebcvg.com/articles.php?id=670

Starting next Tuesday, April 12, computers running Microsoft Windows XP without Service Packet 2 installed will not be able to block the upgrade.

An announcement that appeared on Microsoft’s web site provides an explanation for the upcoming upgrade:

“Because of these significant improvements, Microsoft views Windows XP SP2 as an essential security update and is therefore distributing it as a "critical update" via Windows Update (WU) and the Automatic Updates (AU) delivery mechanism in Windows. Microsoft strongly urges customers with Windows XP and Windows XP Service Pack 1-based systems to update to Windows XP SP2 as soon as possible.”

So ready or not, on Tuesday, “un-patched” boxes will have SP2 downloaded to their networks and computers, but, what happens after that?

Trev
04-06-2005, 02:56 PM
I've got SP2 installed on the wifes laptop but only because I decided to get it, who the fuck are Microsoft to decide what should be installed regardless of me wanting it or not :angry: :steemed:

DrGuile
04-06-2005, 03:00 PM
That's incorrect.

automatic updates only installs updates if you configured it to do so.

Personally, I dont even have it download anything, it just warns me when something is available.

Even with this announcement, you could very well never install SP2.

The one problem I see is 1000's of dialup user wondering why there download is so slow.

Steady
04-06-2005, 03:08 PM
I have a Windows XP...I normally get a message when windows updates are available.

Steady :rokk: Hook-Em-Horns"

sarettah
04-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile@Apr 6 2005, 02:01 PM

If you ever want to download any other windows update (security, whatever) they claim that they are not going to allow it unless you do the SP2 install first........

Dravyk
04-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by sarettah+Apr 6 2005, 02:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sarettah @ Apr 6 2005, 02:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DrGuile@Apr 6 2005, 02:01 PM

If you ever want to download any other windows update (security, whatever) they claim that they are not going to allow it unless you do the SP2 install first........ [/b][/quote]
And this should surprise .... nobody?!

Orwell was only off by 20 years.

DrGuile
04-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by sarettah+Apr 6 2005, 02:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sarettah @ Apr 6 2005, 02:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DrGuile@Apr 6 2005, 02:01 PM

If you ever want to download any other windows update (security, whatever) they claim that they are not going to allow it unless you do the SP2 install first........ [/b][/quote]
True but you could still not download SP2...

Ecstasy Glass
04-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Are most of the bugs worked out at this point? I recall when SP2 first became available, people were having all sorts of problems.

Inabon
04-06-2005, 09:14 PM
fellas MS is getting ready to put a nuke on all non licensed copies of windows. mark my words this will happen soon.

Inabon
04-06-2005, 09:15 PM
However SP2 is a must have trust me a lot more stable than not having it.

Newton
04-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Linux baby ... xp is a real nasty bloated piece of kit lol

Inabon
04-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Newton@Apr 6 2005, 05:38 PM
Linux baby ... xp is a real nasty bloated piece of kit lol
i agree. however i will stick to windows for desktop and work station. i don´t have any problems with it.

Raven
04-06-2005, 09:54 PM
I refuse to install it. And, if it installs without my permission, doesn't that in and of itself make for a nice legal issue between my lawyer and Microsoft? How can they legally force a download of any kind?

gonzo
04-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Raven@Apr 6 2005, 08:55 PM
I refuse to install it. And, if it installs without my permission, doesn't that in and of itself make for a nice legal issue between my lawyer and Microsoft? How can they legally force a download of any kind?
The spyware fags will point at the EULA and laugh.

JizBiz
04-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Raven@Apr 6 2005, 08:55 PM
Why refuse to use it?

I see the majority of people who are saying SP2 is bad shit, have no reasoning behind it.

I have it installed on all my systems, and on all the systems i monitor and keep updated..(moms, sisters my kids pc's)

Clean install, do the updates and SP2 then install your programs back. Doesnt affect shit. Actually increases the performance for my own PC

This is not some big scary beast like most think, its a damn security upgrade, you dont want to run it then dont, but dont complain if Microsoft doenst offer you updates to fix further problems when you havent allready installed a major portion of the fixes, and the basis for more fixes, via the said SP2.

"Well of course your car rides like shit sir, you have solid rubber tires on them, you know they make ones that are full of air now right?"

"Bah Bullshit! No way in hell im buyin tires full of air! What do i look like a fool!?"

Then the other end of the scope with the people who think its Big Brother...lmao (i like this).

Wait til they start co-conspiring with google...then we're fucked...between them...the government...the aliens...oh shit...here we go! Only in America!

BOTTOM LINE those of you not running SP2 are at a far greater risk then anyone else....and since your posting on this board your computer is your money...so wake up and protect yourself and your likelyhood and drop the attitude towards microsoft (yes i agree they are the devil..LOL) whether you agree with them or not you need to have the safest versions of ALL software you run.

Is this really even needed to be thought about...fuck come on people.

sarettah
04-07-2005, 02:14 AM
I tried to install it and it said it didn't recognize the operating system :(

So, I went out to the Microsoft site and went through the "knowledge center".

Did you know that they don't support DOS 3.2 anymore ?

When did that happen ?

:blink:

On a side note, anyone got like a million 5 and half inch floppies so I can back up my server ?

Dravyk
04-07-2005, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by sarettah@Apr 7 2005, 01:15 AM
I tried to install it and it said it didn't recognize the operating system :(

So, I went out to the Microsoft site and went through the "knowledge center".

Did you know that they don't support DOS 3.2 anymore ?

When did that happen ?

:blink:

On a side note, anyone got like a million 5 and half inch floppies so I can back up my server ?
Funny post, Sare!! :biglaugh: