PDA

View Full Version : Competition has been bad for news

Almighty Colin
04-04-2005, 06:17 AM
Remember when there was more than one news story on at a time? Somewhere back about the time CNN, MSNBC, and FOX News all started jockying for eyeballs and advertising revenue the major news networks switched from covering a number of news stories to covering just one. Yeah, I can watch Pope TV for a week now. Great; at least Schiavo and Jacko month is over.

Nickatilynx
04-04-2005, 11:11 AM
I agree its pathetic.

And then you watch , well here in Canada , your local TV and watch local reporters report straight from the newswire feeds.

I switch to BBC world ...and yup ..still about the fucking Pope.

I mean seriously they make the guy out to be great but forget his stance on Condons during the AIDS crisis , abortion and womens rights.

He was a catholic Pope...you know..a bigot.

Mike AI
04-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Colin, I do not think its from too much competition.

I am tired of Pope TV as well, but with 1 in 4 people on the planet being Catholic, it will effect coverage.

TheEnforcer
04-04-2005, 12:35 PM
TV news sucks ass these days. No depth to it at all.

Almighty Colin
04-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Apr 4 2005, 11:11 AM
Colin, I do not think its from too much competition.

I am tired of Pope TV as well, but with 1 in 4 people on the planet being Catholic, it will effect coverage.
The way I figure it, CNN puts any other news story on today and MORE eyeballs go to Pope TV. The only choice a ratings motivated network can make is to do cover what everyone else is - though with varying lenses.

Same thing with every other major week-long plus news story the past few years. The more competition, the more the consumer determines the end product. Now that is all fine with me. I'm not really complaining but just observing. There are plenty of great sources of information elsewhere in the world - more than ever.

Hell, gimme a war and I'll watch TV news all day but the fuckin' pope dieing in his old age? Bah! I can understand everything I need to know about it in 5 minutes. A polish Pope lived a long time, never got caught with small children, did some good deeds, got old and finally died. Surely there will be a commemorative postage stamp. The only question is whether Topps will release some John Paul II cards.

JoesHO
04-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Yeah I agree, I wanna hear about the war on terror, and why we are not out of afghanistan yet, or caught bin laden, hell even mullah Omar yet?

I want true coverage of Iraq

give us the real news not just bullshit propoganda.

give us news that truley affects us and our ways of life so we can nmake informed desicions about our fututre

arctic refuge , taxes reform etc......

SykkBoy
04-04-2005, 02:51 PM
I've just avoided any of the news stations the last couple days
I managed to watch a little PopeTV the other day and got sick of the first 10 minutes...

I am a little miffed though that I was two days off and lost the When Will The Pope Die Already betting pool....

DrGuile
04-04-2005, 02:55 PM
I do not like the church... worse than the british royal family if you ask me.

Almighty Colin
04-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile@Apr 4 2005, 01:56 PM
I do not like the church... worse than the british royal family if you ask me.
I think Nick decided to combine those subjects this morning just to get under our skin.

Dravyk
04-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Apr 4 2005, 10:12 AM
I agree its pathetic.

And then you watch , well here in Canada , your local TV and watch local reporters report straight from the newswire feeds.

I switch to BBC world ...and yup ..still about the fucking Pope.

I mean seriously they make the guy out to be great but forget his stance on Condons during the AIDS crisis , abortion and womens rights.

The Pope is still dead! Film at 11! <_<

Almighty Colin
04-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Dravyk@Apr 4 2005, 02:36 PM

Wanna get me to watch Pope TV? After 3 days, pope rises.

Fuuuuck. Woud barely have to move Easter.

Almighty Colin
04-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Apr 4 2005, 10:12 AM
:)

SykkBoy
04-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin+Apr 4 2005, 03:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Almighty Colin @ Apr 4 2005, 03:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dravyk@Apr 4 2005, 02:36 PM

Fuuuuck. Woud barely have to move Easter. [/b][/quote]
I'd be watching that shit 24/7

Nickatilynx
04-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Oh ye of little faith....

Dravyk
04-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin+Apr 4 2005, 03:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Almighty Colin @ Apr 4 2005, 03:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dravyk@Apr 4 2005, 02:36 PM

Fuuuuck. Woud barely have to move Easter. [/b][/quote]
Eh! It's been done before! :zzz:

cj
04-04-2005, 09:32 PM
I had been thinking fuck why is this taking up so much TV time, but I did watch a little and was amazed by some of the things he'd done in history, long before I'd remember.

I've always thought he was an ass as all I remember is his stance against condoms and women being priests etc ... he represents everything I dislike about religion.

But with all that said, he is obviously a very important figure in history and with quarter of the world being catholic, it is pretty significant what will happen now, after his death .... maybe not to us, but I respect the rights of those who mourn his passing.

I agree that this '1 news story' thing that's been happening since 9/11 is getting a little annoying ... but there's a ratings war going on and I guess this is how they are playing.

We've had 2 stories this week ... a helicopter of aussie military went down in indonesia while helping with earthquake rescue's and 9 aussies were killed ... makes me wish there WAS only 1 story - at least the pope got to live a full life.

slavdogg
04-04-2005, 10:46 PM
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=43630 (http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43630)

terrorists are sick of pope tv as well

Almighty Colin
04-05-2005, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by slavdogg@Apr 4 2005, 09:47 PM
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=43630 (http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43630)

terrorists are sick of pope tv as well
I knew there must be an upside.

JoesHO
04-05-2005, 11:53 AM
I hear the bbc is gonna run a new show called ( POOP tv) LOL hahaha

Nickatilynx
04-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by JoesHO1@Apr 5 2005, 07:54 AM
Betcha its shit.

;-)

Almighty Colin
04-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx+Apr 5 2005, 10:58 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nickatilynx @ Apr 5 2005, 10:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JoesHO1@Apr 5 2005, 07:54 AM
Betcha its shit.

;-) [/b][/quote]
Crappy joke

chodadog
04-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Television news really is a waste of time. Internet news pages are really the only way to go. I mean, the major stories still dominate a large chunk of the page's real estate, but at least it's easy to get at other news. Good ol' Google News.

Just scroll down the page and the vast variety of news you can get at so quickly and easily is just amazing. You could never get that kind of scope on TV news.