PDA

View Full Version : Appeals court upholds Sex.com ruling

Robin
04-01-2005, 12:15 PM
"Appeals court upholds Sex.com ruling

By Jon Swartz, USA TODAY

SAN FRANCISCO — A federal appeals court last week may have written the final chapter to a sordid legal saga that helped establish Internet domain names as property.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected Stephen Cohen's appeal of a 2001 federal court ruling that he pay businessman Gary Kremen $65 million for stealing the domain name Sex.com in 1995 and building it into a multimillion-dollar business....."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/...31-sexcom_x.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/industry/2005-03-31-sexcom_x.htm)

Nickatilynx
04-01-2005, 12:26 PM
""""I've done OK," says Kremen, who says he rakes in $8 million a year in advertising revenue from Sex.com, a hub of adult-entertainment Web sites offering products and services."""

slavdogg
04-01-2005, 06:25 PM
"Several years ago, Kremen sent Cohen a check under a different name, to a house in Mexico his private investigators suspected Cohen used, in hopes Cohen would cash it and surrender personal information. But Cohen didn't fall for the trick. Kremen says he returned the check in the mail with a note saying "Nice try" with an inflatable doll. Kremen still has the doll."

thats funny :D

slavdogg
04-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Apr 1 2005, 12:27 PM
""""I've done OK," says Kremen, who says he rakes in $8 million a year in advertising revenue from Sex.com, a hub of adult-entertainment Web sites offering products and services."""
where are all those people that called kremen a fool for turning sex.com into a PPC now ??

gonzo
04-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by slavdogg@Apr 1 2005, 06:26 PM
"Several years ago, Kremen sent Cohen a check under a different name, to a house in Mexico his private investigators suspected Cohen used, in hopes Cohen would cash it and surrender personal information. But Cohen didn't fall for the trick. Kremen says he returned the check in the mail with a note saying "Nice try" with an inflatable doll. Kremen still has the doll."

thats funny :D
Goes to show you they guy can manipulate damn near any situation to his advantage or entertainment.

It amazes me how someone can take a business like that with that domain name and make it worth a fraction.

However if he pulls in 8 Mil a year... who am I to say a goddamn thing.

slavdogg
04-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by gonzo@Apr 1 2005, 06:31 PM
It amazes me how someone can take a business like that with that domain name and make it worth a fraction.
its still a $100 million domain. where is the fraction ??

Rolo
04-02-2005, 10:39 AM
$8 million is very good - unfortunally when we tested them we had bad experience/luck :-(

Unique traffic was only 1/3 of the raw traffic - so 1000 raws gave us 333 uniques... their count was obvious based on raw clicks, since this is what our data showed once we compared it with the data in their system. Ex. on our first $100 test this is what we got:

Their stats showed 3208 clicks
Our inhouse stats showed 2984 raws, 1113 uniques

We had a very limited amount of keywords, so no way people keep finding us by during new searches (our unique count is 24 hours)

But it didnīt stop there... once the traffic was on our system, then it acted strange - they had 3-4 times as many hits to the join page and processors as similar traffic sources, but it didnīt bring any extra sales, so Iīm pretty sure it was not because it was "genuine traffic" interested in the product ;-(

So, $8 million is very good - they must work for someone out there....

Nickatilynx
04-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Thanks for that post Rolo.

I Love numbers.

Lightning
04-02-2005, 04:11 PM
He may only pull in 8 mill a year now, but that domain has a serious value to it if/when he ever decides to sell it. B)

pushpills
04-02-2005, 04:19 PM
what could sex.com reasonbly expect to be sold for? 100 mill?

Lightning
04-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by pushpills@Apr 2 2005, 05:20 PM
what could sex.com reasonbly expect to be sold for? 100 mill?
I think that is a pretty good guess :rolleyes:

JoesHO
04-02-2005, 08:54 PM
I must say, gary kremen was always cordial to me when I spoke to him, and was helpful and informative to talk with .