PDA

View Full Version : How to do vector i photoshop?

SexyCityGlen
04-01-2005, 11:39 AM
hi! please help me on how to do a vector in photoshop... converting pictures into cartoon image... please give me some step by step instructions or some resources.. thanks you

DrGuile
04-01-2005, 11:41 AM
To do vectors:

Close photoshop, open Illustrator.

gonzo
04-01-2005, 11:47 AM
FREE SPAZ!!!

Newton
04-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Photoshop is a raster program, not a vector program, although it will import vectors.

If you want to edit vectors, such as the contours, lines and fills etc do as Gonzo said and open Illustrator or Coreldraw.

Are you just trying to import these images into photoshop?

DrGuile
04-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Newton@Apr 1 2005, 12:12 PM
If you want to edit vectors, such as the contours, lines and fills etc do as Gonzo said and open Illustrator or Coreldraw.

hrm hrm!

gonzo
04-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile+Apr 1 2005, 12:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrGuile @ Apr 1 2005, 12:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Newton@Apr 1 2005, 12:12 PM

hrm hrm! [/b][/quote]
Do as the Doc said.... Illustrator scares me.

FREE SPAZ!!!

Newton
04-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Dr Guile my humble apologies .. it was you who suggested this and not Gonzo

Cleo
04-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Sounds to me like he wants to turn bitmap drawings into vector work.
http://www.adobe.com/products/streamline/main.html

Then open in Illustrator…

spazlabz
04-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by gonzo@Apr 1 2005, 08:48 AM
FREE SPAZ!!!
I'm FREE! I'm FREE just chained to my desk all the time heh heh but my wife has the key and I am sure she will unlock me soon as all the work is done! LOL

spaz

SexyCityGlen
04-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Newton@Apr 1 2005, 09:12 AM
Photoshop is a raster program, not a vector program, although it will import vectors.

Are you just trying to import these images into photoshop?
nah im not importing thrm in photoshop... but i see some of designers are doing vector using photoshop... its like masking them using pen tool.. then using a paint bucket to change colors etc etc.. but is using Illustrator and corel draw make this one easy?

Newton
04-01-2005, 03:24 PM
Illustrator or coreldraw will allow you more flexibility, then you can just do File/Place once in Photoshop.

Typically I always create the files in coreldraw, then export as illustrator .ai file format and straight into photoshop with colours intact.

IF you want to go down the vector route through photoshop solely, this might help http://www.heathrowe.com/tuts/vector.asp

Jace
04-01-2005, 11:55 PM
only text is in vector in photoshop

nlphoto
04-01-2005, 11:59 PM
And the only true vector formats are .eps and .pdf

cj
04-03-2005, 10:28 PM
>>but i see some of designers are doing vector using photoshop... its like masking them using pen tool.. then using a paint bucket to change colors etc etc

using a pen tool to draw lines and a paint bucket to fill them in is not 'using vector' ... photoshop does not use vector for anything but the way it handles text before rendering. It is a pixel based program ...

it sounds like what you are referring to is paths ... if you are trying to trace over an image to turn it into a cartoon, the only way to attempt it is using the path tool to place points along the outline and dragging them to create the curves. The less points the smoother the lines will be ...

then you use the paths menu to 'create selection' or 'stroke path' ...

its a lot to explain in a few steps though & I suspect this was more an attempt at sig views than a genuine question. :rolleyes: