PDA

View Full Version : Okay Home Owner Questions...

Lee
03-23-2005, 11:02 AM
So now we're finalized on the mortgage stuff we have a shitload of work to do on this house..

Garden / Fencing
Roofing / Soffits (Guttering)
Sprinkler System
Exterior Painting

Just wondered what the best order to do this work in would be?

Im thinking, get the roofing / soffits done, then do the exterior painting and gardening then put th fences up.

Your thoughts?

Nickatilynx
03-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Having once had the occupation of "Property Developer"

( Yes typical pikey , I've turned my hand to anything that might make a buck)

The last thing to be done is the exterior paint to prevent it getting dirty again as a result of the other tasks :)

Please forward 1% of the contract price by paypal.

Thanks in advance..

:)

Lee
03-23-2005, 11:14 AM
Ah good reasoning :)

Thanks Nick.

JoesHO
03-23-2005, 11:24 AM
being you are in florida and the summer is coming, I would go in this order.

1.) roofing /sofit
2.) sprinkler system
3.) Painting
4.) gardening fencing ( otherwise the painters will teear up your yard too)

Nickatilynx
03-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by JoesHO1@Mar 23 2005, 08:25 AM
being you are in florida and the summer is coming, I would go in this order.

1.) roofing /sofit
2.) sprinkler system
3.) Painting
4.) gardening fencing ( otherwise the painters will teear up your yard too)
The Painters won't they are gonna walk on it...not drivew fucking tanks through it.

Under pain of a swift kick in the nuts.

sarettah
03-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Lee@Mar 23 2005, 11:03 AM
Im thinking, get the roofing / soffits done, then do the exterior painting and gardening then put th fences up.

Do the fences before the gardening part otherwise you will be screwing the garden up wherever the fence is up against it....

Just imho of course

Lee
03-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Okay my suggestion was to do the painting first and foremost but, Garys argument is that by doing the painting first, the fences, because they will have to touch the house(for a double gateway), are going to mess it up.

I know we want to get the fences up before touching the landscaping, we just wanna let the dog roam as much as possible.

Okay a bit more info..

We want to put a new patio in the back of the house with raised beds, probably using railway sleepers as the risers for the beds.

Damn this home owning shit is to much like hard work LOL

VooMan
03-23-2005, 12:06 PM
My opinion, as someone who has done all of this crap myself over the past few years:

1. Roofing and Sofits - The roofers are going to leave shingles and nails all over your yard for you to pick up.

2. Sprinkler System - this will help you find the shingles and nails the roofers left all over the yard, AND the mess the sprinkler guys make will be washed off the walls of the house before you paint. LOL

2a. Side Note: "call before you dig" only means that some idiot is going to spraypaint your yard where he "thinks" the gas, water, electrical, and phone lines are. Your sprinkler installer WILL hit something with his manly ditchwitch. Even though Call Before You Dig sucks, if you have them come out beforehand you will not be charged a nickel for repairs to the stuff the various workmen break. My sprinkler guy cut my phone line in four places, my next door neighbor's phone line, and my cable. :okthumb:

3. Paint the house - it's always easier to paint the house BEFORE all your plants are in and the landscaping is done... it sucks trying to paint behind bushes and shrubs. Plus, you'll spill paint on the poor plants. :(

4. Fencing - Like Sarettah said, put the fencing in before the landscaping. Unless you're doing a concrete block wall. Then you might want to do the fence before the sprinkler since they will definitely bust up some pipes no matter what...

5. Gardening - last but not least, clean up all the crap and put in your plants and sod. In one weekend your house will undergo a DRAMATIC change. :)

5a. Start from the back of the house first. In other words, work from the furthest point where people will be bringing stuff in and out, and work your way closer to where the materials will be staged. Do NOT put down sod and then start walking wheelbarrows full of crushed stone through the lawn and around to the back of the house. :awinky:

5b. Railway sleepers are nice, but they leak dirt and eventually rot. If you can start off with Castle Block type prefab stone blocks you will be much better off.

Lee
03-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Cool thanks Voo :)

We're hoping to have all the prelim stuff completed within the next 2 weeks and hopefully, with the exception of the roofing stuff (due to last years hurricanes) we're hoping to have all the work completed within a month :)

Jesse_DD
03-23-2005, 02:54 PM
Stop being a pussy and do them all at the same time

:agrin:

Seriously, good luck. How much of it is hurricane damage from last year?

TheEnforcer
03-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by VooMan@Mar 23 2005, 12:07 PM

2a. Side Note: "call before you dig" only means that some idiot is going to spraypaint your yard where he "thinks" the gas, water, electrical, and phone lines are. Your sprinkler installer WILL hit something with his manly ditchwitch. Even though Call Before You Dig sucks, if you have them come out beforehand you will not be charged a nickel for repairs to the stuff the various workmen break. My sprinkler guy cut my phone line in four places, my next door neighbor's phone line, and my cable. :okthumb:
In other words. Sometimes even idiots are worth taking the time to listen to!! :P

Peaches
03-23-2005, 04:28 PM
I agree with whatever Voo says :)

Lee
03-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Jesse_DD@Mar 23 2005, 11:55 AM
Seriously, good luck. How much of it is hurricane damage from last year?
Thanks Bro :)

Actually it looks like very little of it is hurricane damage the problem we're having as are a bunch of other people we know is finding a roofing contractor that isnt fully booked until Xmas due to the hurricane damage this area received last year.

Id guesstimate that a good 25-40% of homes and businesses around here are still waiting on repairs, even though the state has called in out of state contractors.

VooMan
03-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Mar 23 2005, 03:36 PM

In other words. Sometimes even idiots are worth taking the time to listen to!! :P
hahaha Yup... you MUST use the "call before you dig" before you do anything. They suck and get most of your yard marked out wrong, but when wires get cut by the workmen, you don't have to pay to have it repaired... :okthumb:

Yeah Peaches, if I had to do it all over again I would do it the way I described above. I made a ton of mistakes as my projects evolved. haha