PDA

View Full Version : Back to back National Championships baby!

TheEnforcer
03-20-2005, 12:20 AM
For the second straight year in a row my alma mater are national champs for NCAA Division III Men's basketball!! :rokk:

http://www.d3hoops.com/story.php?story=43275

UW-Stevens Point 73, Rochester 49
Mar 19, 2005

SALEM — The University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (29-3) outscored the University of Rochester (25-5) 45-24 in the second half to earn the Pointers their second consecutive NCAA Division III men’s basketball championship at the Salem Civic Center. The final score of the championship game was 73-49.

“I don’t know if we could have played any better than we did in the second half,” said UWSP Head Coach Jack Bennett. “When we are clicking on all cylinders we are a handful to defend. I still am shocked we are back-to-back champs, these guys simply play their best when the pressure is the greatest.”

The opening half went back and forth as the lead changed hands twice, and was tied on seven occasions. Stevens Point used an 8-2 run to take a 13-7 lead with 11:37 remaining in the first half, but Rochester countered with an 8-0 run to take a 15-13 lead at the 9:02 mark – the last time they would lead the game. Kyle Grusczynski’s breakaway dunk thirty seconds later tied the game at 15-15.

Jason Kaslow , the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player, hit a three-pointer to give the Pointers a short lived lead, as Rochester’s Brendan McAllister matched it with a three-pointer of his own to tie the game at 20-20. Tim Brackney’s three-point attempt rimmed out at the buzzer and kept the Yellowjackets at bay, down just three points, 28-25, heading into halftime.

Kaslow opened up the half with a three-pointer to extend the lead to six. Nick Bennett followed suit hitting a three with 17:11 remaining to give UWSP its first double-digit lead of the game, 40-30. The Pointers would then go into a zone defense, and after Gabe Perez hit a 19-foot jumper with 14:29, Rochester would not score another field goal for the next five minutes. By that time, the lead had increased to 18 points, 57-39. That was the closest the Yellowjackets would get the rest of the way.

Stevens Point , which shot 56 percent on 27-of-48 shooting on the game, was led by Jason Krull who scored 22 points on 8-of-12 shooting. Nick Bennett added 18 points on 6-of-9 shooting from the floor, and 4-of-6 from the three-point line, while Kaslow was the only other Pointer in double figures with 15 points. Krull and Kaslow pulled down seven and six rebounds, respectively, and freshman point guard Steve Hicklin had a game-high five assists.

“It’s a nice honor, and I could not have done it without the team.” said Kalsow. “I don’t think there is a MOP on a losing team and we don’t win if these guys don’t step up. I will graciously accept the award but recognize that the team accomplishments are the most important.”

Jon Onyiriuka led Rochester in scoring with 14 points and grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds. Rochester managed to shoot just 32.6 percent (15-of-46) for the game, and committed twice as many turnovers (10) as the Pointers.

The Pointers won four out of five NCAA tournament games by 18 or more points, including the 24-point margin in the title game.

2005 All-Tournament Team
Jason Kalsow – UWSP – Most Outstanding Player
Nick Bennett – UWSP
Jon Krull – UWSP
Seth Hauben – Rochester
Joel Hoekstra – Calvin

RyanLanane
03-20-2005, 03:12 AM
They didn't just win, they TORE that team a new asshole - LOL !! Congratulations!!

On another Subject....... GO ILLINOIS :D

I believe Ill Wesleyen was ranked #1 in division #2 (might of been 3) the same time Illinois was ranked number one. Hopefully it was division 2 and both take the national ;)

TheEnforcer
03-20-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm cheering on UW-Milwaukee and the Wisconsin Badgers! UWM is already in the Sweet 16 and the Badgers will get there today!!