PDA

View Full Version : Mainstream Design Vs. Adult Design

Lee
03-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Just wondering how you folks handled your 'non adult' design stuff for sites like programming, hosting, design, etc etc.

Do 'mainstream' sites need to have as big of an impact to our potential mainstream clients that webmaster orientated sites in the 'adult' industry need?

What i mean by that is, do 'flashy' sites with all the bells + whistle stuff actually work in mainstream? Flash animations for affiliate program etc etc or should we stick to the basics, mostly html layouts with a few .jpgs thrown on the page for good effect?

Your thoughts? I know a few of you guys have mainstream business already established and i was hoping to get some choice hints and tips from any of you who were willing to give them out from the first line of attracting clients... our site.

We're in the process over overhauling webmasterconsultants.com to attract a larger non-adult client base.

Inabon
03-18-2005, 06:05 PM
we do let me know what you need. 7 4 1 1 2 1 2 or pcarreras at siliconcanal.com

Trev
03-18-2005, 06:35 PM
I've done designs for a few local companies here in the cold cold north of England and found any design I was totally happy with was 'more' than they were expecting, so they ended up being the bog standard pages with pics and the usuall bullshit write-up...

Lee
03-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Trev@Mar 18 2005, 03:36 PM
I've done designs for a few local companies here in the cold cold north of England and found any design I was totally happy with was 'more' than they were expecting, so they ended up being the bog standard pages with pics and the usuall bullshit write-up...
Yeah but thats Yorkshire for you ;) LOL

Seriously though, thats what im thinking right now too, basic looking site just html text with a couple of images thrown on the page to make it look balanced.

On the other hand, our pricing may require a more 'advanced' design.

Thats what im more concerned about to be honest, proving that we have the capability to do high end workmanship at a highend price LOL

Trev
03-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Lee+Mar 19 2005, 12:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lee @ Mar 19 2005, 12:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Trev@Mar 18 2005, 03:36 PM
Yeah but thats Yorkshire for you ;) LOL

Seriously though, thats what im thinking right now too, basic looking site just html text with a couple of images thrown on the page to make it look balanced.

On the other hand, our pricing may require a more 'advanced' design.

Thats what im more concerned about to be honest, proving that we have the capability to do high end workmanship at a highend price LOL [/b][/quote]
Whooa there a second! England don't end at Yorkshire... it goes all the way up to Newcastle and you'll find me there :)

Lee
03-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Hmmm.... Newkie Brown Ale... Yum

Actually i used to holiday up in Newcastle every couple of years with a couple of guys i met on holiday in the Canary Isles when i was 18... fun times :)

I loved going when they had the fairground thing going on at that huge patch of grass before you hit Newcastle proper. They had a great greyhound track near there to from what i recall :)

Trev
03-18-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Lee@Mar 19 2005, 12:52 AM
Hmmm.... Newkie Brown Ale... Yum

Actually i used to holiday up in Newcastle every couple of years with a couple of guys i met on holiday in the Canary Isles when i was 18... fun times :)

I loved going when they had the fairground thing going on at that huge patch of grass before you hit Newcastle proper. They had a great greyhound track near there to from what i recall :)
No one but a piss head holidays up here.... and that fair is the Town Moore and it rains nearly every year....

Brough Park is the dog track but it has nothing on the track in Sunderland...

Lee
03-18-2005, 07:07 PM
No one but a piss head holidays up here

Exactly ;)

Never got the chance to venture to Sunderland :(

Trev
03-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Lee@Mar 19 2005, 01:08 AM

No one but a piss head holidays up here

Exactly ;)

Never got the chance to venture to Sunderland :(
You'll never know how lucky you've been lol...

I've got 2 facial masular plates from drinking in Sunderland and I was wearing my Sunderland top as well...

Fucking mackems :huh:

SykkBoy
03-18-2005, 09:08 PM
mainstream cares about functionality, adult cares about bells and whistles

Dravyk
03-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Trev@Mar 18 2005, 06:48 PM
Whooa there a second! England don't end at Yorkshire... it goes all the way up to Newcastle and you'll find me there :)
Does that make you a Pict? :P

This topic probably would worked better on a mainstream board, (ahem, cough, spew) ... but since it's brought up here ... Mainstream is just weird. Lots of sites are super professional. .... But then you have that weird shit where a lot of sites are a single page of almost all text that goes on (and on and on) for what seems like 200 screens down. Still hsbr no idea what the hell that crap is all about!

gonzo
03-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Dravyk+Mar 18 2005, 09:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dravyk @ Mar 18 2005, 09:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Trev@Mar 18 2005, 06:48 PM
Does that make you a Pict? :P

This topic probably would worked better on a mainstream board, (ahem, cough, spew) ... but since it's brought up here ... Mainstream is just weird. Lots of sites are super professional. .... But then you have that weird shit where a lot of sites are a single page of almost all text that goes on (and on and on) for what seems like 200 screens down. Still hsbr no idea what the hell that crap is all about! [/b][/quote]
Drav is looking more and more like a buzzard.... Drav you have to pull a thread hijack across the boards to be effective!

Dravyk
03-19-2005, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by gonzo@Mar 18 2005, 10:57 PM
Drav is looking more and more like a buzzard.... Drav you have to pull a thread hijack across the boards to be effective!
Damn! Ok, I admit it; I need hijacking lessons! :unsure:

Gonzo, who would you recommend as my mentor?