PDA

View Full Version : YUMMMMMMYY!

TheEnforcer
03-17-2005, 11:46 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/bro...la-news-broward (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-cpsharks17mar17,0,7837094.story?coll=sfla-news-broward)

Sharks keep beach empty again

Sightings off Delray bring warnings

By Leon Fooksman
Staff Writer
Posted March 17 2005

DELRAY BEACH · Hundreds of sharks sighted just off the city's beach kept swimmers and surfers out of the ocean for the second consecutive day Wednesday during one of the busiest beachgoing months.

Lifeguards prohibited swimming along the beach to prevent spinner and blacktip sharks, some 5 feet long, from mistaking people for food.

"We don't want to tempt fate," said Paul Milne, ocean rescue supervisor.

The sharks congregate off Palm Beach County every year in March and April to feast on sardines, herring, anchovies and other fish before migrating as far north as New Jersey, said George Burgess, director of the Florida program for shark research at the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville.

They don't usually bother humans but have attacked swimmers and surfers because they confused splashing and shiny jewelry for fish. These sharks are known to jump out of the water while feeding, sometimes spinning up to three or four times.

No one has been injured this week in Delray Beach, Milne said.

The beach, usually crowded with Spring Breakers, was mostly empty late Wednesday afternoon. If it weren't the sharks chasing people off, winds from the southeast whipping up waves seemed to do the trick, lifeguards said.

A few swimmers and surfers braved the waters despite pleas from lifeguards and signs warning about the danger.

"I saw some sharks, but I tried not to fall down on them," said Larry Marquis, a kite-boarder from Delray Beach who was in the ocean for about two hours. He said he didn't consider the sharks dangerous and wasn't going to miss a good day of surfing.

Lifeguards will determine this morning whether swimmers and surfers can return to the water.

The sharks spend the winter months in the warmer waters off eastern Florida and the rest of the year off the Northeast states, Burgess said. They generally gather near the beach when they come across food.

Staff Researchers Barbara Hijek and William Lucey contributed to this report.

================================================== ===

Nothing more than SHARK FOOD if you go into the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

JoesHO
03-17-2005, 12:42 PM
I agree TE I am staying out of the water from now on!!!!

TheEnforcer
03-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by JoesHO1@Mar 17 2005, 12:43 PM
Smart man!! :okthumb:

MaDalton
03-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by JoesHO1@Mar 17 2005, 09:43 AM
you could also sacrifice yourself and save hundreds of lifes this way. :groucho:

Yug
03-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Daaaaaa Dum .... Daaaaaa Dum .... Daaa Dum Daa Dum Da Dum DA DA DAAAAA!

pushpills
03-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Aren't you more likely to die in a car crash than to be bit by a shark?

Our lake mich. beach doesn't have shark problems, just shards of glass ready to bite you.

Trev
03-18-2005, 02:37 AM
If you want to be safe in the sea move here... I live just off the North Sea, there are oil rigs a few miles out and the workers have to wear survival suits because if they fall into the sea they've only got 3 minutes to live without them... but we've got no sharks :yowsa:

NickPapageorgio
03-18-2005, 08:34 AM
You guys who are afraid of sharks and the ocean would just LOVE to be sitting out on a surf board and have a dolphin rub up against your leg for the first time eh?

lol...in my younger days, I surfed a little when I lived on Hatteras Island. The dolphins are very playful when you are in the water and lots of times will come up and "rub" against you or "nudge" you with their noses.

Needless to say, that's not for the weak of heart or clean of shorts. ;) First time it happens, if you don't know what's going on or that it's normal, you will pretty much shit yourself. lol...

TheEnforcer
03-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by NickPapageorgio@Mar 18 2005, 08:35 AM
You guys who are afraid of sharks and the ocean would just LOVE to be sitting out on a surf board and have a dolphin rub up against your leg for the first time eh?

lol...in my younger days, I surfed a little when I lived on Hatteras Island. The dolphins are very playful when you are in the water and lots of times will come up and "rub" against you or "nudge" you with their noses.

Needless to say, that's not for the weak of heart or clean of shorts. ;) First time it happens, if you don't know what's going on or that it's normal, you will pretty much shit yourself. lol...
If I ever did get foolish enough to get in the ocean, and then make myself an even more likely target because surfers LOOK like seals which sharks love to eat, and that happened to me I think I would die of a heart attack.

nlphoto
03-18-2005, 03:32 PM
and I suppose when the nice playful shark sees you in distress and attempts to give you mouth to mouth, you'll whine that he's trying to eat you...

talk about ingratitude... :rolleyes: