PDA

View Full Version : Colin.. and others:)

grimm
03-09-2005, 04:47 AM
I took your advice and picked up Diamond's "The Third Chimpanzee." Interesting read.

Also about to dive into "The System of the World", Neal Stephensons third book in his Baroque cycle trilogy.

Almighty Colin
03-09-2005, 05:34 AM
Actually, I think I recommended "Collapse" by Jared Diamond. I also recommend his "Guns, Germs and Steel". They are an excellent combo. I read "Third Chimpanzee" but I doubt I would have recommended it. Good but not as good, IMO.

I read Dawkins' "Ancestor's Tale" this year and thought it was excellent.

Almost done with Ellis' new biography of George Washington. Good. Not great.

My father sent me "Hitler's Scientists" which is next.

Almighty Colin
03-09-2005, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by grimm@Mar 9 2005, 04:48 AM
Also about to dive into "The System of the World", Neal Stephensons third book in his Baroque cycle trilogy.
I still have "Command Line" in my Amazon shopping cart on your recommendation. Won't be ordering for a while though. I have a stack in front of me still.

Candice
03-09-2005, 07:40 AM
i'm reading a Sidney Sheldon book right now entitled Nothing Lasts Forever...it's a good one. :okthumb:

sarettah
03-09-2005, 07:47 AM
Right now I'm reading the intellectual thread on Oprano......

But for recreation I'm rereading the classic "Your friend, the Beaver"

:blink:

Robert
03-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Necessary Illusions: Thought Control in Democratic Societies.

- Noam Chomsky

TheEnforcer
03-09-2005, 12:43 PM
The 2nd book in a trilogy by Carol Berg called Revelation.

The 1st book Transformation can be found here! (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0451458427/qid=1110388968/sr=2-6/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_6/002-2244927-7774446)

Anthony
03-09-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm finishing Green Eggs and Spam.

Nickatilynx
03-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Anthony@Mar 9 2005, 09:50 AM
I'm finishing Green Eggs and Spam.
ahahahahahahahaha

You'll love the ending.

HoneLynn
03-09-2005, 02:15 PM
I am reading the warning label on my curling iron. I am at the best part. "Do not use while sleeping"
It is a very gripping read.

kath
03-09-2005, 03:07 PM
I'm not reading anything right now... which is probably why I've been so grumpy lately. My problem is that I don't read - I devour. When I pick up a book I can't put it down. So when I'm crazy-busy with work - like I have been since Internext it seems - my reading drops off and falls by the wayside.

I have a stack of must-reads sitting here that I got from the last Oprano discussion that I am hoping to get to... maybe on the drive to Phoenix Forum? lol

B)

Peaches
03-09-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm finishing up a trash book - the Ex Files - and next up is The Fountain Head for home reading. I'll find another trash book to read on the plane to PHX and back though. I can usually read one there and one back.

I was in the middle of The Way the Crow Flies and left it in a taxi - need to head to the city to replace it.

MissEve
03-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Mar 9 2005, 03:10 PM
I'm finishing up a trash book - the Ex Files - and next up is The Fountain Head for home reading. I'll find another trash book to read on the plane to PHX and back though. I can usually read one there and one back.

I was in the middle of The Way the Crow Flies and left it in a taxi - need to head to the city to replace it.

Im reading The Way the Crow Flies too and Im having a hard time getting into it. I was so excited when it came out because I loved Fall on Your Knees.

Nickatilynx
03-09-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm actually reading a Phil Helmuth book on poker. LOL

Peaches
03-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by MissEve+Mar 9 2005, 05:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MissEve @ Mar 9 2005, 05:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Peaches@Mar 9 2005, 03:10 PM

Im reading The Way the Crow Flies too and Im having a hard time getting into it. I was so excited when it came out because I loved Fall on Your Knees. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I agree. It's moving SO much slower than Fall On. One of the few books where I've just wanted to read every 10 pages! How far are you? I kept hoping it would get better. If it's not going to, I'm not going to buy another copy :unsure:

SykkBoy
03-10-2005, 03:36 AM
I just got "Rebels On The Backlot" today, but haven't had a chance to open it yet...

Jesse_DD
03-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Mar 9 2005, 01:56 PM
I read that.

Then I went and lost 10k in poker. :agrin:

Mindoza
03-10-2005, 10:54 AM
I just finished a Girlie Book: Tell Me Lies. I forget the author but I read a few of hers books..Peaches- very good Plane reading.

Now it is a toss up between

Odd Thomas- Dean Koontz
Dry- Augastine Burroughs
Confessions of An Ugly Step Sister ( hehe my AIM is uglystepsis69)

Ive picked up Odd Thomas twice but never made it through page 3 was just not in the mood for the genre..I do that alot

cj
03-10-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm reading dominique dunne's justice ....
only a few years late :biglaugh:

TheEnforcer
03-10-2005, 09:05 PM
The Poker Bible is right HERE!! (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1580421369/qid=1110505544/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/002-2244927-7774446?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

*KK*
03-10-2005, 09:38 PM
I've got the Bell Jar sitting on the table but haven't picked it up yet. I'm also working on Barbarians at the Gate, and read a hilarious book called God Wants You to Roll last week, the story of two kids in LA that scammed the general public across the country out of 21 million dollars by selling them cars that God wanted them to have; unfortunately God forgot to get the cars for the kids to deliver.

Yug
03-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Weapons of Choice: World War 2.1
by John Birmingham

Excellent read so far, never would have thought the author of 'He Died with a Felafel in his Hand' could have written a sucessful sci-fi thriller, but its great so far.

grimm
03-11-2005, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin@Mar 9 2005, 02:35 AM
Actually, I think I recommended "Collapse" by Jared Diamond. I also recommend his "Guns, Germs and Steel". They are an excellent combo. I read "Third Chimpanzee" but I doubt I would have recommended it. Good but not as good, IMO.

Im about halfway through the Third Chimpanzee..you are right, it is cool, but he really doesn't make any stretches. I have Germs, Guns and Steel but havent read it...

check out IBM and the Halocaust that was an interesting read.

grimm
03-11-2005, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by cj@Mar 10 2005, 05:01 PM
I'm reading dominique dunne's justice ....
only a few years late :biglaugh:
dominique or dominick:) or both?;) can he dunk? does he wear heels?:)

grimm
03-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by *KK*@Mar 10 2005, 06:39 PM
I've got the Bell Jar sitting on the table but haven't picked it up yet. I'm also working on Barbarians at the Gate, and read a hilarious book called God Wants You to Roll last week, the story of two kids in LA that scammed the general public across the country out of 21 million dollars by selling them cars that God wanted them to have; unfortunately God forgot to get the cars for the kids to deliver.
The bell jar isnt the most pleasant of reads. but a good one nonetheless.

I find i dont read many women authors. not intentionally, just when i look at my books i do not see many women there.

Susan Sontag's crap spoiled it for the gender;) kidding, there are lots of good women authors, surely?

grimm
03-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Jesse_DD+Mar 10 2005, 06:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jesse_DD @ Mar 10 2005, 06:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@Mar 9 2005, 01:56 PM
I read that.

Then I went and lost 10k in poker. :agrin: [/b][/quote]
Super System is a better book. Helmuth cant control his emotions. gimme Doyle Brunson anyday. :)

grimm
03-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by MissEve+Mar 9 2005, 01:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MissEve @ Mar 9 2005, 01:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Peaches@Mar 9 2005, 03:10 PM

Im reading The Way the Crow Flies too and Im having a hard time getting into it. I was so excited when it came out because I loved Fall on Your Knees. [/b][/quote]
must..refrain...from...commenting...

there. restraint:)

grimm
03-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Mindoza@Mar 10 2005, 07:55 AM
I just finished a Girlie Book: Tell Me Lies. I forget the author but I read a few of hers books..Peaches- very good Plane reading.

Odd Thomas- Dean Koontz
Dry- Augastine Burroughs

Ive picked up Odd Thomas twice but never made it through page 3 was just not in the mood for the genre..I do that alot
Odd Thomas gets a lot better. Dean Koontz has turned in some real crap in the last ten years, but that one i liked.

Almighty Colin
03-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by grimm+Mar 11 2005, 01:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (grimm @ Mar 11 2005, 01:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Almighty Colin@Mar 9 2005, 02:35 AM

Im about halfway through the Third Chimpanzee..you are right, it is cool, but he really doesn't make any stretches. I have Germs, Guns and Steel but havent read it...

check out IBM and the Halocaust that was an interesting read. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, it was written a while back too. 13 years now.

Collapse is quite ambitious. Guns, Germs and Steel is very interesting.

*KK*
03-11-2005, 04:38 PM
If you haven't ever read John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany, I highly recommend it.

Don't know why it just popped into my head.

Mindoza
03-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by grimm+Mar 10 2005, 10:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (grimm @ Mar 10 2005, 10:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mindoza@Mar 10 2005, 07:55 AM

Odd Thomas- Dean Koontz
Dry- Augastine Burroughs

Odd Thomas gets a lot better. Dean Koontz has turned in some real crap in the last ten years, but that one i liked. [/b][/quote]
Thanks! As long as I know it is worth it i will get through the first twenty pages!!!

grimm
03-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by *KK*@Mar 11 2005, 01:39 PM
If you haven't ever read John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany, I highly recommend it.

we have a john irving thread going somewhere too. Peaches saw "The door in the floor" which got us talking about Irving, and i recommended Owen Meany.

get out of my head!

:)

*KK*
03-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by grimm+Mar 11 2005, 03:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (grimm @ Mar 11 2005, 03:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-*KK*@Mar 11 2005, 01:39 PM

we have a john irving thread going somewhere too. Peaches saw "The door in the floor" which got us talking about Irving, and i recommended Owen Meany.

get out of my head!

:) [/b][/quote]
Owen Meany is by far and away my favorite Irving book, and I'm a pretty solid Irving fan. The Fourth Hand is another good Irving.

Two more books that are fairly interesting are Running with Scissors and How the Light Gets In.

On the technical side of things, I'm reading the North U Sail Trimming. If you don't sail competitively it's still a good read for better sailing. If you don't sail competitively then you'd probably want to skip it lol ;)

Almighty Colin
03-12-2005, 07:13 PM
I've never read Irving. Y'all have me turned onto the idea of reading him now.

Peaches
03-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by *KK*@Mar 12 2005, 07:32 PM
Two more books that are fairly interesting are Running with Scissors and How the Light Gets In.
If you liked Running with Scissors and haven't read David Sedaris, start. Me Talk Pretty One Day was my beginning with him and I read it on the dock, literally laughing outloud almost the whole time. Considering sound echos through the valley of the lake, I was very glad the neighbors I share the lake with didn't seem to be home!

Burroughs also has another book - Dry - haven't read it though.

Added How the Light gets in to my wish list :)