PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Going rate (ballpark) for

Nickatilynx
03-08-2005, 07:13 PM
an Affiliate Manager on a new start up program.

Don't need to know "your" salary , but would like an idication.

*KK*
03-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Would you be looking at hiring KB or would you be looking at hiring someone else? ;-}}}}}

Nickatilynx
03-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by *KK*@Mar 8 2005, 05:31 PM
Would you be looking at hiring KB or would you be looking at hiring someone else? ;-}}}}}
Shit I'm prolly the only one left that hasn't hired him.LOL

I am sure I have in the past been paying people too much...

Kaiser 12kUSD per mth for instance.

HoneLynn
03-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Low end starting salary should be no lower than $35k to $40k a year imho with some nice incentives. Being a start up program you will need to find someone that is willing to grow with the company. You can always increase pay but, it is hard to go backwards.

Nickatilynx
03-08-2005, 08:51 PM
So 3K a mth approx.

I have been REALLY over paying people.

Lee
03-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Personally, id pay them the lowest they were willing to accept ;)

If they are willing to put in and more importantly, do the work for $500, pay em $500.

On the subject of KB, even though he appears to be good at what he does, i dont think we would ever hire him to work with us i guess we like to hire people who have a 'history' with companies that last longer than 3-6 months at a time [shrug].

pushpills
03-08-2005, 09:03 PM
I think you should do a comish as well as a base pay. Some people that have done some good stuff for me in the past I have a feeling are getting a comission, and, they got more traffic.

SykkBoy
03-08-2005, 09:05 PM
the average is around $45-60K + 10-12%

some are doing closer to $70K but less % and others are in the $40K range but bigger %

it depends on their duties and if they have any staff they are overseeing...there is also a difference between an affiliate manager and a sales rep, though sometimes they tend to meld into each other a little...

there are also other factors like travel perks, show appearances, etc.

gonzo
03-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Which one handles fraud control? Rep or manager?
I think Nick is looking for someone to oversee an entire program. Not a board whore or.... send me 50 joins and Ill give you a blow job.

With the dawn of tools like Nats.... that cute tits and ass better be able to crunch numbers as tight as that dildo she rams.

SykkBoy
03-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by gonzo@Mar 8 2005, 09:41 PM
I think Nick is looking for someone to oversee an entire program. Not a board whore or.... send me 50 joins and Ill give you a blow job.

With the dawn of tools like Nats.... that cute tits and ass better be able to crunch numbers as tight as that dildo she rams.
manager
a manager should also know how to run things technical and sales oriented or at least know how to get shit done that needs to be done...

*KK*
03-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by gonzo@Mar 8 2005, 06:41 PM

If Nick could get 50 joins a day by hiring someone to give out blowjobs, he'd have an army of hookers on the payroll ;)

gonzo
03-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy+Mar 8 2005, 09:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SykkBoy @ Mar 8 2005, 09:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gonzo@Mar 8 2005, 09:41 PM

manager
a manager should also know how to run things technical and sales oriented or at least know how to get shit done that needs to be done... [/b][/quote]
Which one manages stats and assists your affiliates that are sending shitbag traffic?

While we are on it.... which one issues an effective press rlease or board thread that has some value to webmasters?

Nickatilynx
03-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by *KK*+Mar 8 2005, 06:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (*KK* @ Mar 8 2005, 06:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gonzo@Mar 8 2005, 06:41 PM

If Nick could get 50 joins a day by hiring someone to give out blowjobs, he'd have an army of hookers on the payroll ;) [/b][/quote]
And Tecvhnick would then try and automate it. LOL

Frankly I see board whores diminishing or dying out in the not too distant future.

Mind you I also think the affiliate system as we know it will be gone in 18 mths.

Of course I also believe there are fairys at the bottom of my garden . :)

Dravyk
03-08-2005, 09:50 PM
I think the job description is also important. In some places with an existing and large affiliate list (yes, I know, you said new program, but I digress), the Affiliate Manager is just that, chief babysitter, in charge of the other affiliate representatives and also in charge of in house education, articles, and forums.

However the Marketing Director would be a different person, in charge of campaigns, promo materials, getting whale accounts. On a brand new program (see, my tangent has come full circle), the two positions could (now maybe they should or maybe they shouldn't) be easily filled by a single person. But if that is done, the plan should be that it be brief (one person) because of (hopefully) quick program growth.

Peaches
03-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Dravyk@Mar 8 2005, 10:51 PM
I think the job description is also important. In some places with an existing and large affiliate list (yes, I know, you said new program, but I digress), the Affiliate Manager is just that, chief babysitter, in charge of the other affiliate representatives and also in charge of in house education, articles, and forums.

However the Marketing Director would be a different person, in charge of campaigns, promo materials, getting whale accounts. On a brand new program (see, my tangent has come full circle), the two positions could (now maybe they should or maybe they shouldn't) be easily filled by a single person. But if that is done, the plan should be that it be brief (one person) because of (hopefully) quick program growth.
We've got Gabe amd me doing affiliate service, Cory's PR and marketing, and then we have another full time person with a part time (may be full time now though) person doing nothing but fraud. And we also have a product manager who keeps up with all requests for graphics, technical requests, problems, etc.

Finding one person do to everything, unless it's a small operation, would be brutal for everyone involved. IMO.

So...you really need to decide exactly what you're looking to hire and go from there. This is a small enough market where it will dictate what you pay someone. Offer a job at the low end of $XX salary/Commission/whatever and go from there.

Nickatilynx
03-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Dravyk@Mar 8 2005, 06:51 PM

I agree and frankly ya know I don't think I'll need one.

If you can get 100 good affiliates (pros ,not dickheads)

Lets say they only average 2 a day.

So you are getting 200 joins a day.

add in the 40 joins a day that won't be tracked , factor in some upsells.....run it easily managable by one hard working dude and maybe 2 partners.

Once established open anhother one...then an other one... lol

ya know...honestly ..affiliate programs...well fair enough..

I am concentrating on garnering traffic rather than buying traffic.

My processing may dump one day.VISA might have a shit fit. All 3rd party processors outlawed by VISA...whatever...

but someone , somewhere will always be willing to pay for traffic.

SykkBoy
03-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by gonzo+Mar 8 2005, 09:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gonzo @ Mar 8 2005, 09:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by SykkBoy@Mar 8 2005, 09:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-gonzo@Mar 8 2005, 09:41 PM

manager
a manager should also know how to run things technical and sales oriented or at least know how to get shit done that needs to be done...
Which one manages stats and assists your affiliates that are sending shitbag traffic?

While we are on it.... which one issues an effective press rlease or board thread that has some value to webmasters? [/b][/quote]
a manager should help with the shitbag traffic, but there is just some traffic that won't convert no matter how many html tutorials and text link writing lessons the manager gives them

the posting depends upon the company, but that can be done by either...

this also depends upon how big the program is too

who should send out the affiliate newsletter? who should handle customer service? the answers will depend upon the size of the program

for us at EGC, TheDoc and I handle a lot of it together and cover for each other but he generally deals with customers and I deal with webmasters, we also have someone who handles shooting our content, another who handles editing/updating/color corrections of content and a tech....we're also going to get spammy shortly over a recent new hire ;-)

cj
03-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Mar 8 2005, 08:52 PM
So 3K a mth approx.

I have been REALLY over paying people.
you get what you pay for ....

with all Kaisers issues, he knew his shit back then and probably made you enough to justify $12k ... $12k a month isn't much compared to how much you were making back then.

what you need is a quick learner with web experience, who you can instruct in the initial weeks to do what you tell them ... you don't need a marketing person as you have yourself, you need a slightly higher end customer support person who understands the basics of how traffic works.

Nickatilynx
03-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by cj@Mar 8 2005, 07:39 PM
you need a slightly higher end customer support person who understands the basics of how traffic works.
Well thaqt rules out 95% of webmasters lol

Vick
03-08-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm kinda of with the thought you need to spell out duties a little more to qualify salary range

Also other variables such as who has a following and can bring whales or is a whale themselves

Almighty Colin
03-09-2005, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by *KK*@Mar 8 2005, 09:46 PM
If Nick could get 50 joins a day by hiring someone to give out blowjobs, he'd have an army of hookers on the payroll ;)
Who wouldn't? Even in mainstream they do THAT.

grimm
03-09-2005, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx+Mar 8 2005, 05:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nickatilynx @ Mar 8 2005, 05:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-*KK*@Mar 8 2005, 05:31 PM

Kaiser 12kUSD per mth for instance. [/b][/quote]
Ive never hired him, even though he IS a buckeye:)

Dravyk
03-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by grimm+Mar 9 2005, 04:58 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (grimm @ Mar 9 2005, 04:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Mar 8 2005, 05:38 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-*KK*@Mar 8 2005, 05:31 PM

Kaiser 12kUSD per mth for instance.
Ive never hired him, even though he IS a buckeye:) [/b][/quote]
And now he's just a bullseye!! :matey:

slavdogg
03-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy@Mar 8 2005, 09:06 PM

10% of what ?
is that sales gross or net ?

SykkBoy
03-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by slavdogg+Mar 9 2005, 02:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slavdogg @ Mar 9 2005, 02:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SykkBoy@Mar 8 2005, 09:06 PM

10% of what ?
is that sales gross or net ? [/b][/quote]
gross sales they refer themselves...if they have a staff and don't do many referrals, then they generally get a smaller override based upon their staff...

this is based on my knowledge of a couple programs and aff. managers I know and have talked to...

I'm not at liberty to discuss my personal compensation in an open forum ;-)

*KK*
03-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Mar 8 2005, 06:50 PM

Of course I also believe there are fairys at the bottom of my garden . :)
At least we're all in agreement.

MacDaddy
03-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Well if anyone knows someone or is interested in an affiliate management position, please hit me up. We are a new program and looking for someone with industry experience. Good compensation, salary plus comission and full benefits.

Anthony
03-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by MacDaddy@Mar 9 2005, 02:05 PM
Well if anyone knows someone or is interested in an affiliate management position, please hit me up. We are a new program and looking for someone with industry experience. Good compensation, salary plus comission and full benefits.
Affiliate managers are few and far between.

Anyone looking for the position, email jeff at macdaddybucks dot com with resume and salary considerations.