PDA

View Full Version : Do Motorola batteries last forever?

Almighty Colin
03-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Ran across my circa 2000 Motorola StarTac in the closet. Hit the power button on and it still has some charge left.

Peaches
03-06-2005, 10:12 AM
I just replaced the battery in my digial camera. I bought it in 98 or 99 and it still works, just doesn't hold a charge as long as it should :) Camera is Fuji - can't remember the battery brand.

Meanwhile, my Motorola phone batter runs out about every 30 minutes of talk time :angry:

NickPapageorgio
03-06-2005, 11:42 AM
I have found the key to rechargables, peaches, is to actually follow the "first time charge" directions on the package. Charge it fully, let it run completely dead until it doesn't do anything, and then recharge. They seem to last alot longer that way.

Peaches
03-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by NickPapageorgio@Mar 6 2005, 12:43 PM
I have found the key to rechargables, peaches, is to actually follow the "first time charge" directions on the package. Charge it fully, let it run completely dead until it doesn't do anything, and then recharge. They seem to last alot longer that way.
I agree, but the problem is that it's almost completely impractical to let my cell and camera run completely down :( I'm probably going to have to replace my laptop battery soon for the same reason.

TheEnforcer
03-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Mar 6 2005, 12:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Mar 6 2005, 12:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NickPapageorgio@Mar 6 2005, 12:43 PM
I agree, but the problem is that it's almost completely impractical to let my cell and camera run completely down :( I'm probably going to have to replace my laptop battery soon for the same reason. [/b][/quote]
Why is it impractical? Wouldn't it be nice to have a day where the phone isn't ringing all day?

Peaches
03-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Mar 6 2005, 01:19 PM
Why is it impractical? Wouldn't it be nice to have a day where the phone isn't ringing all day?
9 times out of 10 when it's gone dead, it's been in the middle of an important phone call, lol! If I could figure out a way for the battery to die only when the phone wasn't in use, I'd be OK :)

I've had several conversations at the kitchen counter while it's recharging. The fun of having a log cabin is that your electrical outlets aren't always in convenient places B)

Sidorino
03-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin@Mar 6 2005, 07:08 AM
Ran across my circa 2000 Motorola StarTac in the closet. Hit the power button on and it still has some charge left.
Those old batteries are chemicaly made to "recharge" themselves in a period of time.So even if it was fully charged down it will charge itself some time after to a kind of determined level (it`s shurely low...but it IS )//that`s it :)

Hell Puppy
03-06-2005, 07:34 PM
My last two phones have been motorola and i've been very happy with the battery life of both.

I do over 1000 minutes per month, 90% of which is with bluetooth headset on. I also do close to 1000 SMSs per month. And all of that is with the phone set to either vibrate only or vibrate then ring, which also drains the battery faster than ring only.

I have to charge mine twice a week.

I do generally let it run all the way down to the point that it starts bitching about low battery. I have a charger in the living room, on my desk and in each vehicle, so if it goes down while I'm on a call, I can just plug it in.