PDA

View Full Version : For fans of "The Office"

Evil Chris
03-02-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm a big fan of The Office, the BBC show created by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. It's probably the funniest series I have ever watched.

Well, an American version is coming out on NBC this month (March 24th). I've watched the clips, and they're funny but not up to par with the original. Anyway, check them out for what you think.

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Office/

In similar news, Ricky Gervais is currently working on his new show called "Extras". It's going to air on BBC 1 in September. Apparently it's drawing interest from a lot of A list American comedians and actors. Everyone seems to want to work with Gervais on something.

Peaches
03-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Oh, we'll screw it up. Americans just aren't as funny as the Brits. We need to stop bastardizing their shows! <_<

Hell Puppy
03-03-2005, 12:25 AM
I have the DVD box set of the Brit version, I have not had time to watch it yet though.

Evil Chris
03-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy@Mar 3 2005, 01:26 AM
I have the DVD box set of the Brit version, I have not had time to watch it yet though.
I've watched it a couple times already. Ricky Gervais is pure genius.

Peaches... the bits online right now aren't too bad. If you happen to catch an episode and you're not crazy about it, try the original.

Peaches
03-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Evil Chris+Mar 3 2005, 01:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Evil Chris @ Mar 3 2005, 01:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hell Puppy@Mar 3 2005, 01:26 AM
I've watched it a couple times already. Ricky Gervais is pure genius.

Peaches... the bits online right now aren't too bad. If you happen to catch an episode and you're not crazy about it, try the original. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I need to watch the original - I've seen parts of it at a friend's house and loved it!

In fact.......just added Series 1 and 2 to Netflix :)

Yug
03-03-2005, 12:36 AM
britt humour (and for that matter, aussie humour) is alot more subtle and cynical than american humour ... i cant count the amount of times ive watched a show or talked about a movie with my american mates who have said they just 'didnt get it' ... ESPECIALLY with the office, prime example

Peaches
03-03-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Yug@Mar 3 2005, 01:37 AM
britt humour (and for that matter, aussie humour) is alot more subtle and cynical than american humour ... i cant count the amount of times ive watched a show or talked about a movie with my american mates who have said they just 'didnt get it' ... ESPECIALLY with the office, prime example
I guess because my father's family is from Wales and my mother's is Irish, I love it Brit humor (or humour :P )

Lee
03-03-2005, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Peaches@Mar 2 2005, 09:23 PM
Oh, we'll screw it up. Americans just aren't as funny as the Brits. We need to stop bastardizing their shows! <_<
Agreed LOL

Mr Benn
03-03-2005, 05:58 AM
Just watched the clips for this and was quite surprised to see they didn't have any canned laughter put over the top, to let people know when it's time to laugh.

Evil Chris
03-03-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Yug@Mar 3 2005, 01:37 AM
The Office is unique for sure. I wouldn't brand it as "brit humour" just because it's British though. It's nothing like Monty Python, Faulty Towers, Benny Hill etc...

It's just got this concept that nobody ever tried before. Kind of like a pseudo-documentary, fly on the wall type of filming. I'm surprised they only made two seasons of it before calling it off. It is still wildly popular.

I'm anxious to see how Gervais does with his new show "Extras". I'm reading all over the place that a lot of comedians are trying to get on that show just for the opportunity to work with Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

Example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4201783.stm

Mr Benn
03-03-2005, 10:37 AM
There was a program called "Operation Good Guys" (first series at end of 1997), that is also done in a pseudo-documentary style about a group of undercover police detectives.

I'd recommend the first series, but the following ones added evil canned laughter which ruins them really.

Bestat
03-03-2005, 11:03 AM
I agree, we will screw it up...remember Coupling last season? (Probably not since it was SO bad they pulled it after like 3 episodes) A very funny Britist series that sucked in the american version. It is not only the humor, but what they can get away with on British TV that they just will not allow in prime time here.

Not surprised they are trying to cash in on the Office though..typical.

:)

chodadog
03-03-2005, 11:04 AM
They'll fuck it up. They always fuck up british comedies when they try to americanise them. Look at what they did to Alfie. And not just comedy. Look at what they did to The Italian Job. I'm curious to see what is going to happen with Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. I do hate the British establishment with a passion, but i quite like your average Brit and their sense of humour is fantastic.

Peaches
03-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Bestat@Mar 3 2005, 12:04 PM
I agree, we will screw it up...remember Coupling last season? (Probably not since it was SO bad they pulled it after like 3 episodes) A very funny Britist series that sucked in the american version. It is not only the humor, but what they can get away with on British TV that they just will not allow in prime time here.

They were going to try AbFab too, but I don't think it ever saw the light of day.

Evil Chris
03-03-2005, 01:31 PM
slightly off topic, but has anyone watched "Keeping up Appearances"?

Damn that show is good. I catch it on Vermont PBS sometimes.

chodadog
03-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Haha, i love that show. Especially the ongoing joke about the pronounciation of her last name. If you like British humour, you should definitley check out a series called Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister. Hilarious political satire.

And most people i know that enjoy Keeping Up Appearances are also quite fond of Last of The Summer Wines.

Yug
03-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by chodadog@Mar 3 2005, 12:35 PM
Haha, i love that show. Especially the ongoing joke about the pronounciation of her last name. If you like British humour, you should definitley check out a series called Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister. Hilarious political satire.

And most people i know that enjoy Keeping Up Appearances are also quite fond of Last of The Summer Wines.
Bucket (she pronounces it 'buuuqayyy') residence, lady of the house speaking :)

Classic show, but i always felt sorry for the husband. I just wish in the last episode or something, that he 'snapped', beat her over the head something, put her in the trunk of the car and thrown her off a cliff ... then EVERYONE lives happily ever after, except their kids who always ask for money
:P

The Yes minister series are pure genius, EXTREMELY well written.

For a more recent brittish series, has anyone here ever watched one called 'Black Books' ? Not quite as subtle, but definately fucking hilarious.

chodadog
03-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Ahh yes, Black Books is fantastic. I've only actually seen a handful of episodes though. A friend of mine has the whole lot on DVD. I really need to borrow it. I loved the episode where they were having a heat wave, so he started making wine popsicles in the freezer and would just smash the bottle over the edge of the desk or whatever. Fantastic. :lol:

Yug
03-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by chodadog@Mar 3 2005, 07:51 PM
Ahh yes, Black Books is fantastic. I've only actually seen a handful of episodes though. A friend of mine has the whole lot on DVD. I really need to borrow it. I loved the episode where they were having a heat wave, so he started making wine popsicles in the freezer and would just smash the bottle over the edge of the desk or whatever. Fantastic. :lol:
http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_images/tvone/programmes/black_books/black_books_d.jpg

Bernard: It's all rubbish! Nobody is prepared to admit that wine doesn't have a taste.
Manny: Of course you can't taste anything, you smoke eighty bajillion cigarettes a day. What's that you're eating?
Bernard: It's some sort of delicious biscuit.
Manny: It's a coaster!

grimm
03-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Mar 2 2005, 08:44 PM
I'm a big fan of The Office, the BBC show created by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. It's probably the funniest series I have ever watched.

Well, an American version is coming out on NBC this month (March 24th). I've watched the clips, and they're funny but not up to par with the original. Anyway, check them out for what you think.

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Office/

In similar news, Ricky Gervais is currently working on his new show called "Extras". It's going to air on BBC 1 in September. Apparently it's drawing interest from a lot of A list American comedians and actors. Everyone seems to want to work with Gervais on something.
i get the feeling im going to watch a couple episodes and then just put in office space on dvd and laugh my nuts off:)

grimm
03-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Bestat@Mar 3 2005, 08:04 AM

british humor is just not funny to me.

maybe its a societal thing. the dry references just dont hit home because i just dont live in a british society.

I like humor that lets your mind finish the thought. arrested developement and family guy come to mind

only situational comedy i like is stuff i can relate to.

i much prefer a good drama with sarcastic humor mixed in.

chodadog
03-05-2005, 05:03 AM
I think Arrested Development is the best comedy series to come out of the US ever.

golight
03-05-2005, 12:40 PM
British humor is superior. But then again they don't have NASCAR and WWE :ph34r:

Nickatilynx
03-05-2005, 01:19 PM
American TV is sanitised.

Compare "Til death us do part" with Archie Bunker , totally toned down.

"Men Behaving Badly" when converted to US standards was pathetic...

I must say though I don't particularly like "The Office"

Though ,and I don't bloody believe it , I also never watched "One foot in the grave" til about its 3rd season ,cause I thought it was about an old retired dude...which it is , but it was brilliant.