PDA

View Full Version : Spammer that got 9 yrs..appealed.

Nickatilynx
03-02-2005, 03:58 PM
LEESBURG, Virginia (AP) -- A judge dismissed a felony spamming conviction that had been called one of the first of its kind, saying he found no "rational basis" for the verdict and wondering if jurors were confused by technical evidence.

Ruling Tuesday, Judge Thomas D. Horne also said jurors may have gotten "lost" when navigating Virginia's new anti-spam law in the case of Jessica DeGroot. But Horne upheld the conviction of her brother, Jeremy Jaynes, who prosecutors said led the operation from his Raleigh, North Carolina, area home.

DeGroot, 28, and Jaynes, 30, were each convicted in November for using false Internet addresses to send mass e-mail ads through an AOL server in Loudoun. The jury recommended that Jaynes spend nine years in prison and that DeGroot pay $7,500 in fines.

Prosecutors had called the felony convictions the nation's first for spamming.

They said the siblings and a third defendant, Richard Rutkowski, sent more than 10,000 spam e-mails over three days in July 2003. Rutkowski was acquitted.

Jaynes' attorney, David A. Oblon, had argued that the spamming was not conducted in Virginia and that there was no evidence that e-mails were unsolicited. Oblon said he would appeal.

Forest
03-02-2005, 04:28 PM
"They said the siblings and a third defendant, Richard Rutkowski, sent more than 10,000 spam e-mails over three days in July 2003. Rutkowski was acquitted."

LOL

one of my mailers sends that in a minute

:lol: :lol:

Nickatilynx
03-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Forest@Mar 2 2005, 01:29 PM
"They said the siblings and a third defendant, Richard Rutkowski, sent more than 10,000 spam e-mails over three days in July 2003. Rutkowski was acquitted."

LOL

He's a fucking amateur then... (on 2 levels)

a.) we USED to send that in a second ;-))

b.) nowadays , if you are gunning mail in that quantity and at that speed , you are an amateur.

Times change , successful people change with the times ;-))

But hey , what do I know. I don't mail anymore.

:)

Phoenix
03-02-2005, 04:43 PM
i wonder how much money they made and were able to keep.

serving 3 years is not that bad if you are coming out to 20 million stashed away.

most likely they lost it all though...ugh

Anthony
03-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Average speeds nowadays outgoing are around 500k to a mil.

10k an hour, yeah, if you are using a macro on your desktop and free email account.

Forest
03-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx+Mar 2 2005, 04:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nickatilynx @ Mar 2 2005, 04:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Forest@Mar 2 2005, 01:29 PM

LOL

b.) nowadays , if you are gunning mail in that quantity and at that speed , you are an amateur.

:) [/b][/quote]
im prob worng on the time

he does about 500 signups a day across 5 sponsors

i get about 90-100 a day from him right now

Nickatilynx
03-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Forest+Mar 2 2005, 01:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Forest @ Mar 2 2005, 01:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Mar 2 2005, 04:36 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Forest@Mar 2 2005, 01:29 PM

LOL

:)
im prob worng on the time

he does about 500 signups a day across 5 sponsors

i get about 90-100 a day from him right now [/b][/quote]
Well he is obviously the exception. :)

I tried to share a tip...

ah well.

;-)

gonzo
03-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Hey Forest did you boy ever get that ID and Login for me to admin that mailer box? Ive been patient... its only been 3 years ahahahhaaha

Forest
03-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by gonzo@Mar 2 2005, 06:07 PM
Hey Forest did you boy ever get that ID and Login for me to admin that mailer box? Ive been patient... its only been 3 years ahahahhaaha
LOL i had forgotten about that

:unsure:

swank
03-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Yup definately some great news, once again we succeed. :salute:

They had sent more than 10k, the 10k was simply the cut off and or what they had sent to a specific target domain id imagine.