PDA

View Full Version : MikeAI. What do you think of Bush's theories NOW?

Almighty Colin
02-27-2005, 05:30 AM
CAIRO, Egypt (AP) - Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak on Saturday ordered a revision of the country's election laws and said multiple candidates could run in the nation's presidential elections, a scenario Mubarak hasn't faced since taking power in 1981.

The surprise announcement, a response to critics' calls for political reform, comes shortly after historic elections in Iraq and the Palestinian territories, balloting that brought a taste of democracy to the region. It also comes amid a sharp dispute with the United States over Egypt's arrest of one of the strongest proponents of multi-candidate elections.

"The election of a president will be through direct, secret balloting, giving the chance for political parties to run for the presidential elections and providing guarantees that allow more than one candidate for the people to choose among them with their own will," Mubarak said in an address broadcast live on Egyptian television.

Mubarak - who has never faced an opponent since becoming president after the 1981 assassination of Anwar Sadat - said his initiative came "out of my full conviction of the need to consolidate efforts for more freedom and democracy."

(AP) Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak announces political reforms while at Menoufia University in Cairo,...

The audience before him at Menoufia University broke into applause and calls of support, some shouting, "Long live Mubarak, mentor of freedom and democracy!" Others spontaneously recited verses of poetry praising the government.

Mubarak said he asked parliament and the Shura Council to amend Article 76 of the constitution, which deals with presidential elections. Mohammed Kamal, a leading member of the ruling party's policy-making committee, said parliament would propose its amendment within two weeks.

Mubarak said the amendment would then be put to a public referendum before the presidential polls, which are scheduled for September. Kamal said he expected the referendum to be held within nine weeks.

As recently as last month Mubarak had rejected opposition demands to open presidential balloting to other candidates, and he was obviously aware of the historic potential of his announcement.

"If it happens, it would be the first time in the political history of Egypt that a chance is given to somebody who is capable of shouldering the responsibility to protect the people's achievements and future security to come forward for presidential elections with parliamentary and popular support," he said.

Hafez Abu Saada, director of the Egyptian Organization for Human Rights, praised Mubarak's "unexpected step," which he said reflected local, regional and international pressure.

"It is an important step that gives the Egyptian society a strong push for more freedom and democracy," he said.

Activist Aida Seif el-Dawla was tentative in her praise.

"This concession is made to the United States of America. It is better for him (Mubarak) if this decision came as a result of the national dialogue with the opposition parties and in response to the protests against the law," she said. "Let us wait and see, because a free campaign of more than one candidate requires more than a statement from the president."

Almighty Colin
02-28-2005, 04:49 AM
Note to self. Everyone ignores fake call-outs.

grimm
02-28-2005, 06:17 AM
nigga please.. that troll wont get you shit but a boot:)

Almighty Colin
02-28-2005, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by grimm@Feb 28 2005, 06:18 AM
You're a good friend. I knew I could count on you.

Almighty Colin
03-01-2005, 06:33 PM
I see Mike around. Had to bump.

grimm
03-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin+Feb 28 2005, 03:47 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Almighty Colin @ Feb 28 2005, 03:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-grimm@Feb 28 2005, 06:18 AM
You're a good friend. I knew I could count on you. [/b][/quote]
glad to be of service:) since the election, its gotta be a pretty sophisticated troll to get mike over here arguing about it. In person its a lot easier. In person i am a communist:)

Mike AI
03-01-2005, 09:01 PM
I read thread other day. I am not sure about Bush's theories, I honestly do not think Bush beleives them. I think its just a nice idea that he uses to keep the American population happy. We American's don't like the idea of fighting for oil, or for other power political reasons. We feel much better fighting for democracy, freedom, liberty, human rights.

I am happy with the results Bush has gotten in the region. You forgot to mention Libya as well. I with Bush would be more agressive personally, Syria and Iran needs to have their hand spanked, but I understand the political realities. ( I blame the left for making Bush gun shy)

Of course the things that have happened are also short term, its going to be a long term consistent thing for me to be doing back flips.

I am still comfortable my vote! :P

Winetalk.com
03-01-2005, 09:29 PM
seems like you missed Tom G's post..

http://www.winetalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774

Bush's theory WORKS!

Mike AI
03-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Winetalk.com@Mar 1 2005, 09:30 PM
seems like you missed Tom G's post..

http://www.winetalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774

Bush's theory WORKS!

Runs in the family.

Almighty Colin
03-02-2005, 04:25 AM
The Arab/Muslim world is under massive transformation. Now if only the silly Iraqi resistance would get televisions and see what is up.

Mike AI
03-02-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin@Mar 2 2005, 04:26 AM
The Arab/Muslim world is under massive transformation. Now if only the silly Iraqi resistance would get televisions and see what is up.

The ba'thists have actually been negotiating - they along with rest of Sunni's are looking to secure a place in the new Iraq. These guys are the ones just attacking the US.

The terrorists, they are blowing up everyone - especially shia's trying to cause a civl war. This will be the real problem to solve, and we will need Iraqies to do it.