PDA

View Full Version : Iranian Bloggers Arrested

Nickatilynx
02-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Iran is becoming an increasingly dangerous place to keep an online diary.

Web logs have become a popular forum for dissent. And the Iranian government has responded by arresting dozens of bloggers.

Some of those detained are reportedly being held in solitary confinement and tortured.

Bloggers Arash Sigarchi and Mojtaba Saminejad are both currently in prison in Iran.

Mr Sigarchi has been in detention since 17 January while Mr Saminejad was first detained in November.

Saminejad was kept in solitary confinement for 88 days, and he was subjected to severe beatings and torture

Hadi Ghaemi, Human Rights Watch

"Freedom of expression is really at stake at the moment," says Julien Pain, who runs the Internet Freedom Desk at the Paris based group Reporters without Borders.

"The Iranian authorities have been clamping down on regular media for a long time, but it's only in the last six months that they're harshly attacking cyber-dissidents and webloggers. It's really a serious situation."

Detention criticised

The Iranian government has not said explicitly that it is blogging that got Mr Sigarchi and Mr Saminejad into trouble.

However, both have used their blogs in the past to criticise the detention of other Iranian webloggers.

Iranian-born Hadi Ghaemi is following both cases for Human Rights Watch in New York.

"Major charges against Sigarchi included him giving interview to foreign radio, which is completely a violation of his right to free speech and expression," Mr Ghaemi says.

"He's being kept in a prison in the city of Rasht, which is his hometown in northern Iran. Bail for his release has been set at $200,000."

Mojtaba Saminejad has not fared much better, according to Mr Ghaemi.

"Saminejad was kept in solitary confinement for 88 days, and he was subjected to severe beatings and torture. He was briefly released on 27 January for a short time, but because bail had been set at $125,000, and he wasn't able to pay that, he was rearrested, and his conditions are unknown."

Wave of arrests

Mr Sigarchi and Mr Saminejad are only the latest cases in a wave of arrests that has meant jail for at least two dozen Iranian bloggers.

There are more than six million bloggers world-wide

It is part and parcel of a broader crackdown on Iranian media that began in 2000.

When regular print outlets were censored, many Iranians turned to weblogging. In fact, weblogs have become a key form of communication in Iran.

It is estimated that there are some 46,000 bloggers in the country.

Sina Motallebi used to be one of them.

In 2001, Mr Motallebi was working as a columnist for a Tehran newspaper.

But the government began censoring his work, and so Mr Motallebi started a Farsi-language blog called Diaries of a Websurfer.

"I felt free and uncensored in my weblog," he says.

Political prisoner

That freedom, however, did not last. Iran's judiciary became concerned after Mr Motallebi posted an entry critical of the Iranian government's treatment of a well-known political prisoner.

Mr Motallebi was first summoned to court in the Autumn of 2001. Over the next year and half, he was summoned four more times.

The last time, in April of 2003, Mr Motallebi was arrested and thrown in jail.

"I spent 22 days in solitary confinement, and I was interrogated," he says. "I was under very, very severe psychological torture. Still, the effect of torture remains on my soul."

Mr Motallebi was released after a family friend posted $60,000 bail.

He managed to get a passport, and immediately fled to the Netherlands, where he sought and got asylum.

He is now working for the BBC's Persian Service in London.

He is not blogging now, but he remains concerned about the crackdown on bloggers in Iran.

"When they arrest ordinary webloggers, youngsters, people only 20 years old, everybody thinks, 'OK this could happen to me also'," he says.

"If you don't react to that, and show the Iranians that this could cost them in international relations, they could keep on doing that, and arrest all the people who wrote a single post criticizing the Islamic regime."

Human rights groups and bloggers are trying to help.

Reporters without Borders is trying to pressure Iranian officials to release all detained bloggers and cyber-dissidents.

The Association of Iranian Blogwriters, called Penlog, is demanding that the Iranian judiciary either formally charge Mojtaba Saminejad, or release him immediately.

JR
02-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Feb 21 2005, 09:27 AM

"The Iranian authorities have been clamping down on regular media for a long time, but it's only in the last six months that they're harshly attacking cyber-dissidents and webloggers. It's really a serious situation."
hahaha... i guess if you put the situation in perspective and forget about the revolutions, wars, oppressive dicatorship, oppressive theocratic government, secret police, torture, kidnappings and executions, alination from the entire free world, sanctions and pending bombing of their nuclear facilities and possible invasion by the US - not having an online diary could be viewed as a really serious problem for "freedom" in Iran.

grimm
02-21-2005, 12:34 PM
its desperation in a time of progress. Control of media outlets is a last ditch effort to quell a reforminst movement that couldn't be stopped in its tracks by the violence.

Nickatilynx
02-21-2005, 12:36 PM
JR,

Bloggers , nerds and dwebs are hellapissed over this whole thing I'll have you know and it is no laughing matter!!!!!!

The global web blog community is being called into action to lend support to two imprisoned Iranian bloggers.

The month-old Committee to Protect Bloggers' is asking those with blogs to dedicate their sites on 22 February to the "Free Mojtaba and Arash Day".

Arash Sigarchi and Mojtaba Saminejad are both in prison in Iran.

Blogs are free sites through which people publish thoughts and opinions. Iranian authorities have been clamping down on prominent sites for some time.

"I hope this day will focus people," Curt Hopkins, director of the Committee, told the BBC News website.

If you have a blog, the least you could do is put nothing on that blog except 'Free Mojtaba and Arash Day'

Curt Hopkins, Committee to Protect Bloggers
The group has a list of actions which it says bloggers can take, including writing to local Iranian embassies.

The Committee has deemed Tuesday "Free Mojtaba and Arash Day" as part of its first campaign.

It is calling on the blogsphere - the name for the worldwide community of bloggers - to do what it can to help raise awareness of the plight of Mojtaba and Arash as well as other "cyber-dissidents".

"If you have a blog, the least you could do is put nothing on that blog except 'Free Mojtaba and Arash Day'," said Mr Hopkins.

"That would mean you could see that phrase 7.1 million times. That alone will shine some light on the situation.

"If you don't have one, find one dedicated to that - it takes about 30 seconds."

Technorati, a blog search engine, tracks about six million blogs and says that more than 12,000 are added daily.

A blog is created every 5.8 seconds, according to a US research think-tank.

'No man's land'

The Committee to Protect Bloggers was started by US blogger Curt Hopkins and counts fired flight attendant blogger Ellen Simonetti as a deputy director.

She has since started the International Bloggers' Bill of Rights, a global petition to protect bloggers at work.

Although not the only website committed to human rights issues by any means, it aims to be the hub or organisation, information and support for bloggers in particular and their rights to freedom of speech.

Ellen Simonetti set up the bill after she was fired for her blog by Delta
The Committee, although only a month old, aims to be the focal point for blogger action on similar issues in the future, and will operate as a non-for-profit organisation.

"Blogging is in this weird no man's land. People think of it as being one thing or another depending on their point of view," said Mr Hopkins.

"Some think of themselves as pundits, kind of like journalists, and some like me have a private blog which is just a publishing platform.

"But they do not have a constituency and are out there in the cold."

'Everyone doing it'

A spokesman for Amnesty International said: "Just as the internet is a tool for freedom, so it is being used as an excuse for repression.

"Amnesty International has recorded a growing number of cases of people detained or imprisoned for disseminating their beliefs or information through the internet, in countries such as China, Syria, Vietnam, the Maldives, Cuba, Iran and Zimbabwe.

"It is also shocking to realise that in the communications age just expressing support for an internet activist is enough to land people in jail."

It is not just human rights issues in countries which have a track record of restricting what is published in the media that is of concern to bloggers.

The question of bloggers and what rights they have to say what they want on their sites is a thorny one and has received much press attention recently.

High profile cases in which employees have been sacked for what they have said on their personal, and often anonymous blogs, have highlighted the muddy situation that the blogsphere is currently in. Everyone does this - mums, radicals, conservatives

Perils of blogging about work
Two bloggers explain their motives

"This is a big messy argument," explained Mr Hopkins.

He added: "It is just such a new way of doing business, there will be clamp downs."

But the way these issues get tested is through the courts which, said Mr Hopkins, "is part of the whole messy conversation."

"If you haven't already got bloggers in your company, you will have them tomorrow - and if you don't have a blogger policy now you had better start looking at having one.

Mr Hopkins said that the blogsphere - which is doubling every five months - was powerful because it takes so little time and expertise to create a blog.

"Everyone does this - mums, radicals, conservatives," he said.

Many companies offer easy-to-use services to create a blog and publish it in minutes to a global community.

"That is the essential difference. What I call 'templating software' gives every single person on Earth the chance to have one.

"You don't even have to have your own computer."

JR
02-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Feb 21 2005, 09:37 AM
JR,

Bloggers , nerds and dwebs are hellapissed over this whole thing I'll have you know and it is no laughing matter!!!!!!

went to Victoria yesterday Nick with my wife. All i can say is "OH MY GOD!" what a cool place.

Nickatilynx
02-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by JR+Feb 21 2005, 09:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JR @ Feb 21 2005, 09:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@Feb 21 2005, 09:37 AM
JR,

went to Victoria yesterday Nick with my wife. All i can say is "OH MY GOD!" what a cool place. [/b][/quote]
Oh it is very nice.

Warn me next time! :)

I'll make time :)

JR
02-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx+Feb 21 2005, 09:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nickatilynx @ Feb 21 2005, 09:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by JR@Feb 21 2005, 09:49 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@Feb 21 2005, 09:37 AM
JR,

went to Victoria yesterday Nick with my wife. All i can say is "OH MY GOD!" what a cool place.
Oh it is very nice.

Warn me next time! :)

I'll make time :) [/b][/quote]
Definately will do that! i still have never been to Butchart Gardens although i have been meaning to go there for the last 10 years. I want to go back often. Victoria is just such a cool place to walk around in the sun and amazing with all the miles and miles of road along the coast/beaches. I was really pleasantly surprised and I have been all over the world. I could not believe I was missing something so nice that was just a couple hours away.

grimm
02-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Feb 21 2005, 09:37 AM
JR,

The global web blog community is being called into action to lend support to two imprisoned Iranian bloggers.

The month-old Committee to Protect Bloggers' is asking those with blogs to dedicate their sites on 22 February to the "Free Mojtaba and Arash Day".

Arash Sigarchi and Mojtaba Saminejad are both in prison in Iran.

Blogs are free sites through which people publish thoughts and opinions. Iranian authorities have been clamping down on prominent sites for some time.

"I hope this day will focus people," Curt Hopkins, director of the Committee, told the BBC News website.

If you have a blog, the least you could do is put nothing on that blog except 'Free Mojtaba and Arash Day'

The group has a list of actions which it says bloggers can take, including writing to local Iranian embassies.

The Committee has deemed Tuesday "Free Mojtaba and Arash Day" as part of its first campaign.

It is calling on the blogsphere - the name for the worldwide community of bloggers - to do what it can to help raise awareness of the plight of Mojtaba and Arash as well as other "cyber-dissidents".

"If you have a blog, the least you could do is put nothing on that blog except 'Free Mojtaba and Arash Day'," said Mr Hopkins.

"That would mean you could see that phrase 7.1 million times. That alone will shine some light on the situation.

"If you don't have one, find one dedicated to that - it takes about 30 seconds."

Technorati, a blog search engine, tracks about six million blogs and says that more than 12,000 are added daily.

A blog is created every 5.8 seconds, according to a US research think-tank.

'No man's land'

The Committee to Protect Bloggers was started by US blogger Curt Hopkins and counts fired flight attendant blogger Ellen Simonetti as a deputy director.

She has since started the International Bloggers' Bill of Rights, a global petition to protect bloggers at work.

Although not the only website committed to human rights issues by any means, it aims to be the hub or organisation, information and support for bloggers in particular and their rights to freedom of speech.

Ellen Simonetti set up the bill after she was fired for her blog by Delta
The Committee, although only a month old, aims to be the focal point for blogger action on similar issues in the future, and will operate as a non-for-profit organisation.

"Blogging is in this weird no man's land. People think of it as being one thing or another depending on their point of view," said Mr Hopkins.

"Some think of themselves as pundits, kind of like journalists, and some like me have a private blog which is just a publishing platform.

"But they do not have a constituency and are out there in the cold."

'Everyone doing it'

A spokesman for Amnesty International said: "Just as the internet is a tool for freedom, so it is being used as an excuse for repression.

"Amnesty International has recorded a growing number of cases of people detained or imprisoned for disseminating their beliefs or information through the internet, in countries such as China, Syria, Vietnam, the Maldives, Cuba, Iran and Zimbabwe.

"It is also shocking to realise that in the communications age just expressing support for an internet activist is enough to land people in jail."

It is not just human rights issues in countries which have a track record of restricting what is published in the media that is of concern to bloggers.

The question of bloggers and what rights they have to say what they want on their sites is a thorny one and has received much press attention recently.

High profile cases in which employees have been sacked for what they have said on their personal, and often anonymous blogs, have highlighted the muddy situation that the blogsphere is currently in. Everyone does this - mums, radicals, conservatives

Perils of blogging about work
Two bloggers explain their motives

"This is a big messy argument," explained Mr Hopkins.

He added: "It is just such a new way of doing business, there will be clamp downs."

But the way these issues get tested is through the courts which, said Mr Hopkins, "is part of the whole messy conversation."

"If you haven't already got bloggers in your company, you will have them tomorrow - and if you don't have a blogger policy now you had better start looking at having one.

Mr Hopkins said that the blogsphere - which is doubling every five months - was powerful because it takes so little time and expertise to create a blog.

"Everyone does this - mums, radicals, conservatives," he said.

Many companies offer easy-to-use services to create a blog and publish it in minutes to a global community.

"That is the essential difference. What I call 'templating software' gives every single person on Earth the chance to have one.

"You don't even have to have your own computer."
Its on now.