PDA

View Full Version : who is the odds on favorite ?

JoesHO
02-10-2005, 07:58 PM
of all the percieved " big hitters" that have achieved rck star status, but in reality have nothing going on in the biz ( nor do the try really)

out of this group

we all know someo f them

who will be the first one out of biz in 2005?

Hell Puppy
02-12-2005, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by JoesHO1@Feb 10 2005, 07:59 PM
of all the percieved " big hitters" that have achieved rck star status, but in reality have nothing going on in the biz ( nor do the try really)

out of this group

we all know someo f them

who will be the first one out of biz in 2005?
You talking about the guys who are mostly board personalities and not really doing much real biz?

Actually, I think they'll continue to hang around basically til they get bored or get too busy to fuck around on the boards. They're not deriving any income from the industry as is, or at least not a significant amount, so they have little to lose. They also dont have payroll or an expensive life style.

I think you'll see more big players exit as the risk to reward ratio drops. If you've already made your money and the risk to rewards ratio goes sour, why stick around? Go invest your money and time looking for the next gold mine.

I think there'll be a lot of pressure on small and mid-sized programs as there always is. The amount of effort and money it takes just to reach critical mass is increasing.

But if you're really looking for the big names that might leave and be perceived as a "fall", I think the most vulnerable segment may be the "consultants". The days of being able to milk off big paychecks for them is already gone. And many of them have expensive lifestyles to maintain. There'll always be some new company that wants to tap this industry and is willing to pay one of these folks for their contacts, the introductions they can make and the general rub that can be received. But I think these opportunities are decreasing and there's already been a significant adjustment in the going rates for those type services.

Basically it's like the rest of the industry, you have to work harder and longer just to stay at the same level. An income level that used to be able to be reached by consulting to one or two companies in a year, now may require a half dozen or more.

Some will be able to make it, some will not.

And one area we've already seen take a hit is "marketing reps" or whatever you want to call them. Every big program used to have a half dozen really well known players out on the boards whoring their products. Most have scaled back, leaving some of our friends unemployed unfortunately. I look for that trend to continue and alot of those kinda jobs having a higher percentage paid out on commission.

Outsourcing is going to be a factor in 2005 as well, a lot of the guys who work behind the curtains in our industry for various companies may find themselves replaced by a half dozen outsources who work for a combined half of what the position pays in the U.S.