PDA

View Full Version : Your own merchant accounts vs 3rd party

TheEnforcer
02-09-2005, 04:51 PM
I know it's been discussed before but I'm interested in hearing people's opinions on the differences between 3rd party and your own merchant account anyways as I am in need of this info. Started a new thread because there are new voices that might be heard and I never get tired of hearing the intelligent voices who have chimed in on threads like this before. It's always instructive and worthwhile talk as it's a subject that is always relevant to be rehashed for someone at the time it's started.

IE- things like

Does the difference in scrub make it worthwhile for the hassles of doing it all yourself?

The difference in the amount of money to start up with either ones in terms of fees, etc.

Does the cutsomer service aspect become a big hassle and require a lot of extra employees with your own merhcant account or can it be done well with just you and a mall handful of people?

If you do get your own merchant account what are some things to beware of and that would make one company better than another as far as having a merhcant account with them?

Is there anything out there that is somewhat of a hybrid that has aspects of both but doesn't quite readily fit into either category definitively?

Etc....

*KK*
02-09-2005, 06:50 PM
I'll be really simple with my answer.

If all factors were equal, same costs, identical scrubbing that you didn't control, etc, you would still be better off using a merchant account.

If you don't have all your customer data then you really don't have customers, do you?