PDA

View Full Version : Same sex marrriage in NY

imported_Technick
02-04-2005, 07:38 PM
NEW YORK (AFP) - A New York state court ruled same-sex couples should be allowed to marry, a decision hailed by gay rights groups as a major victory.

Justice Doris Ling-Cohan said preventing gay and lesbian couples from receiving marriage licenses violated basic freedoms guaranteed in the state constitution.

Ling-Cohan was ruling on a lawsuit filed by the gay advocacy group Lambda Legal on behalf of five same-sex couples seeking marriage licenses in New York state.

"That prejudice against gay people may still prevail elsewhere cannot be a legitimate justification for maintaining it in the marriage laws of this state," Ling-Cohan said in her written decision.

While recognising that the ruling may cause "pain" to those whose religious convictions forbid recognition of same-sex marriage, the judge argued that granting same-sex couples the right to marry should not impact on those married under the tenets of their individual faith.

"Moreover, such religious considerations cannot legally be the basis upon which to curtail the constitutional rights of plaintiffs," she added.

Ling-Cohan's order was stayed by 30 days, pending appeal by the New York City authorities, the defendants in the case.

"We are reviewing the decision thoroughly and considering our options," said city attorney Michael Cardozo.

"This is a historic ruling that delivers the state constitution's promise of equality to all New Yorkers," said Susan Sommer, the lead attorney for the plaintiffs.

"The court recognised that unless gay people can marry, they are not being treated equally under the law," Sommer said. "Same-sex couples need the protections and security marriage provides, and this ruling says they're entitled to get them the same way straight couples do."

Massachusetts is currently the only US state to recognise gay marriages.

Conservative groups have backed moves to pass both state and federal constitutional amendments effectively banning gay marriage, although a federal amendment failed to pass muster in the US Congress earlier this year.

Uh oh...another activist judge ;)

NickPapageorgio
02-04-2005, 07:46 PM
A ban on gay marriage is so retarded. I honestly don't get it. Say my religion doesn't mind gay sex marriage. Can't I do it and claim it as a right under freedom of religion? I hate the government and the religious right... :(

Personally I couldn't care less if 2 guys/girls want to get a better tax cut by signing a piece of paper and confessing an undying love for one another.

Seems like the world could use a little more love actually...

JoesHO
02-04-2005, 07:48 PM
I agree, I think it is a horrible thing that we live in a "free" countrry that is hardly free at all, yet wwe project our values on other counties to "make them free societys" where is the outrage? the right wing should be appalled at the lack of freedom we have here !!!!!

Peaches
02-04-2005, 07:52 PM
If they truly wanted to preserve the concept of marriage, they would make it harder for ANYONE to get married and even harder to get divorced.

Winetalk.com
02-04-2005, 07:57 PM
I'll marry Gonzo ANY day!

he is my kind of a guy, not underweight..sorry Peaches,
but in marriage business,
every man for himslef
;)

Peaches
02-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Winetalk.com@Feb 4 2005, 08:58 PM

every man for himslef
;)
I've been working on this ass for years for naught??!! :(

Winetalk.com
02-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Feb 4 2005, 08:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Feb 4 2005, 08:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Winetalk.com@Feb 4 2005, 08:58 PM

every man for himslef
;)
I've been working on this ass for years for naught??!! :( [/b][/quote]
his ASS is mine!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peaches
02-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Winetalk.com+Feb 4 2005, 09:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Winetalk.com @ Feb 4 2005, 09:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Peaches@Feb 4 2005, 08:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Winetalk.com@Feb 4 2005, 08:58 PM

every man for himslef
;)
I've been working on this ass for years for naught??!! :(
his ASS is mine!!!!!!!!!!!! [/b][/quote]
Time for me to hit the treadmill - the only lover of my ass has left me for another :(

Opti
02-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Technick@Feb 5 2005, 10:39 AM

Hint to someone special technick?

What's in your glory box? :agrin:

grimm
02-04-2005, 09:37 PM
I think that gay people should get to experience the horror of marriage just like anyone else

imported_Technick
02-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Opti+Feb 4 2005, 05:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Opti @ Feb 4 2005, 05:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Technick@Feb 5 2005, 10:39 AM

What's in your glory box? :agrin: [/b][/quote]
Haha I stopped hinting years ago...not getting me anywhere :)

Anthony
02-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Technick+Feb 4 2005, 07:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Technick @ Feb 4 2005, 07:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Opti@Feb 4 2005, 05:49 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Technick@Feb 5 2005, 10:39 AM

What's in your glory box? :agrin:
Haha I stopped hinting years ago...not getting me anywhere :) [/b][/quote]
I think everyone, irregardless of race, creed, or sexuality should be allowed to marry the partner they want to...

Except TechNick.

Oh, okay. Even TechNick.

OldJeff
02-05-2005, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by NickPapageorgio@Feb 4 2005, 07:47 PM
A ban on gay marriage is so retarded. I honestly don't get it. Say my religion doesn't mind gay sex marriage. Can't I do it and claim it as a right under freedom of religion? I hate the government and the religious right... :(

Personally I couldn't care less if 2 guys/girls want to get a better tax cut by signing a piece of paper and confessing an undying love for one another.

Seems like the world could use a little more love actually...
And we hit on the real reason for the attempts to ban it.

Tax Rates, and Social Security eligibility.

Looking for the real reason behind anything government does - simple - follow the money trail

Cleo
02-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Let me know when single person marriages become legal so that I can marry myself.

All the benefits of marriage without the hassles of letting someone else into one's life.

Dravyk
02-05-2005, 05:56 PM
:pearl: If they truly wanted to preserve the concept of marriage, they would make it harder for ANYONE to get married and even harder to get divorced.
:pearl: Looking for the real reason behind anything government does - simple - follow the money trail