PDA

View Full Version : NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

TheEnforcer
02-01-2005, 04:40 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/feb05/298028.asp

Driver believes Favre won't return
By BOB WOLFLEY
bwolfley@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Feb. 1, 2005

Green Bay Packers receiver Donald Driver said in a radio interview this morning that he believes Packers quarterback Brett Favre will decide to retire and not play another season in the National Football League.

Driver made his comments on Sirius NFL Radio on "The Opening Drive" show with Dan Reeves and Chris Moore. Sirius is a satellite pay radio service.
Driver, who is in Jacksonville for a Super Bowl promotion, was asked if Favre will return to play next season.

"I don't think so," Driver said. "Everyone has been asking me that question. He's a real close friend of mine and we've been talking back and forth, and I think he's pretty much going to hang 'em up. I always told him, if you're coming back just because of that playoff game, don't show up. But it you're going to come back to try and win another Super Bowl, we'd love to have you."

The Minnesota Vikings defeated the Packers, 31-17, on Jan. 9 to send the Packers out of the playoffs this season.

Driver said he thinks Favre has made up his mind and said the Packers' request to know his intentions before the draft, April 23-24, forced Favre to decide on retirement.

"I think so," Driver said when asked whether Favre had made up his mind. "I think he was trying to wait until the draft, and I think coach Sherman wanted to know right before free agency because there are a couple of quarterback free agents that they want to look at if Brett decided not to come back. I think they forced him to make a decision. When you force one of the greatest quarterbacks in the NFL to make a decision, he's pretty much going to let you know that he maybe is just hanging 'em up."

After Driver's remarks the Packers released the following statement: "We are and have been in the same position since Brett’s comments after the Minnesota playoff game. He has not informed the Green Bay Packers either way as to his plans for the ’05 season."

Favre, 35, has played for 14 seasons in the NFL, 13 for the Packers.

A more complete version of this story will appear online later today and in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in the morning.

================================================== ===

Man I hope this isn't true!!! I've been fortunate enough to be able to watch him play for the Packers at Lambeau Field for many years now and I wish he would stick around for at least another year or two. They finally made a good move with the defensive coordinator and hiring a new GM so they can give Brett and the offense the help they ned to get over the hump and make it back to the Super Bowl!!!

Mike AI
02-01-2005, 04:48 PM
End of an era....

JoesHO
02-01-2005, 04:56 PM
it is time for him to go though, man he is not the same, and could get hurt ala Steve young, troy aikman, and a pletherea of other QB's that stayed longer than they should of.

he wil definalty be a hall of famer, and has won MVP and superbowl so he did not miss out on anything in his career .

Vick
02-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Saddens me to say but I think I'd like to see Farve retire
He's on top of his game (mostly) now so he can go out on top
Sorry but if Farve plays a even one or two more seasons his QB skills may show some decline - and that's not how I want to remember him

Remember Dan Marino crying on the sidelines to Jimmy Johnson not to take him out at halftime. Marino's last season was not a pretty sight and his decline in skills started before then

Not that Farve would ever do that. Difference between a great class act QB and a really good hall of fame crybaby QB

Almighty Colin
02-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Feb 1 2005, 04:49 PM
End of an era....
Man, it's weird. When you are young and first start watching football college players seem old. Now I've followed the entire career of a guy like Favre - if he indeed retires - and he seems old by the NFL standard. Yet he's a year younger than me.

Almighty Colin
02-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Feb 1 2005, 04:49 PM
End of an era....
Did you see the bottom of my sig? ;-)

Mike AI
02-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin+Feb 1 2005, 04:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Almighty Colin @ Feb 1 2005, 04:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mike AI@Feb 1 2005, 04:49 PM
End of an era....
Man, it's weird. When you are young and first start watching football college players seem old. Now I've followed the entire career of a guy like Favre - if he indeed retires - and he seems old by the NFL standard. Yet he's a year younger than me. [/b][/quote]

Colin, I went to college with Brett. We were freshman together at USM....

So this makes me feel OLD!!!!!

Almighty Colin
02-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Feb 1 2005, 05:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Feb 1 2005, 05:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Almighty Colin@Feb 1 2005, 04:58 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Mike AI@Feb 1 2005, 04:49 PM
End of an era....
Man, it's weird. When you are young and first start watching football college players seem old. Now I've followed the entire career of a guy like Favre - if he indeed retires - and he seems old by the NFL standard. Yet he's a year younger than me.

So this makes me feel OLD!!!!! [/b][/quote]
Did you go to the games? Wait'll we make it through another generation of players. At least I'm not calling them "kids" yet.

TheEnforcer
02-01-2005, 05:20 PM
I truly believe he's got a couple good years left in him. If you look at his numbers from this season they stack up very niccely compared to his previous seasons.

pushpills
02-01-2005, 05:24 PM
fuck that pretty boy. paycheck player.

Mike AI
02-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin+Feb 1 2005, 05:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Almighty Colin @ Feb 1 2005, 05:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Mike AI@Feb 1 2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin@Feb 1 2005, 04:58 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Mike AI@Feb 1 2005, 04:49 PM
End of an era....

So this makes me feel OLD!!!!!
Did you go to the games? Wait'll we make it through another generation of players. At least I'm not calling them "kids" yet. [/b][/quote]

Of course, I went to a majorty of USM home games. You could tell Farve was a winner then. I remember his firt game as a freshman. I also remember him beating Florida State when they were ranked #1 in the country IN Tallahasse!!

I lucked out, caught a lot of great football.... Farve put USM on map.

DaddysGirl
02-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Vick@Feb 1 2005, 04:58 PM
Sorry but if Farve plays a even one or two more seasons his QB skills may show some decline - and that's not how I want to remember him

Remember Dan Marino crying on the sidelines to Jimmy Johnson not to take him out at halftime. Marino's last season was not a pretty sight and his decline in skills started before then

Not that Farve would ever do that. Difference between a great class act QB and a really good hall of fame crybaby QB
Are you kidding me!! JJ ruined Marinos last season because he is a control freak...how can you not let a Hall of Fame QB call audibles?? I was there, every game, it was so sad...

Brett is my favorite QB and Im sad to see him walk away from the game..he played the position better and more intensely than most :cryin:

Mike AI
02-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by DaddysGirl+Feb 1 2005, 05:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DaddysGirl @ Feb 1 2005, 05:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Vick@Feb 1 2005, 04:58 PM

Are you kidding me!! JJ ruined Marinos last season because he is a control freak...how can you not let a Hall of Fame QB call audibles?? I was there, every game, it was so sad...

Brett is my favorite QB and Im sad to see him walk away from the game..he played the position better and more intensely than most :cryin: [/b][/quote]

A hot girl who can talk football....

:groucho:

Anthony
02-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Feb 1 2005, 02:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Feb 1 2005, 02:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by DaddysGirl@Feb 1 2005, 05:29 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Vick@Feb 1 2005, 04:58 PM

Brett is my favorite QB and Im sad to see him walk away from the game..he played the position better and more intensely than most :cryin:

:groucho: [/b][/quote]
We had a conversation yesterday about what to look for in a guy/gal.

She loves sports. I have never seen a woman's eyes light up talking about sports.

DaddysGirl
02-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Feb 1 2005, 05:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Feb 1 2005, 05:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by DaddysGirl@Feb 1 2005, 05:29 PM

:groucho: [/b][/quote]
:inlove: thanks! :inlove:

I love football....I call HS games and its always funny when the coaches come up to the tower to hand in their rosters and they see me...I get so much shit till they see that I know what Im talkin about... :P

Mike AI
02-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Anthony+Feb 1 2005, 05:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Anthony @ Feb 1 2005, 05:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Mike AI@Feb 1 2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by DaddysGirl@Feb 1 2005, 05:29 PM

:groucho:
We had a conversation yesterday about what to look for in a guy/gal.

She loves sports. I have never seen a woman's eyes light up talking about sports. [/b][/quote]

I am fortunate Katie is a HUGE sports fan, and knows more about football, and basketball them most of my male friends!

I married well!!

:rokk:

TheEnforcer
02-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by pushpills@Feb 1 2005, 05:25 PM
You know.. just about the time I do something like vote how I like you you go and ruin it with stupid posts like this and the traffic vs. cntent thread.

Anybody who thinks Brett Favre is a paycheck player is a total and complete moron. Period. End of story.

Evil Chris
02-01-2005, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't worry too much.
Favre probably wants to go out on a higher note than this.

And he's certainly got more games left in him.

Mike AI
02-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer+Feb 1 2005, 06:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheEnforcer @ Feb 1 2005, 06:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-pushpills@Feb 1 2005, 05:25 PM
You know.. just about the time I do something like vote how I like you you go and ruin it with stupid posts like this and the traffic vs. cntent thread.

Anybody who thinks Brett Favre is a paycheck player is a total and complete moron. Period. End of story. [/b][/quote]

In college Farve had a car accident and had 6 feet of his intestines taken out. He was in critical shape. They thought he would miss at least 6 games to start the season.

First game of season we were playing Tulane in NO, and USM was down 21-0 at half with 2nd string QB.

Farve came out, in OBVIOUS pain in 2nd half, to lead USM to a 35-38 victory. He played the rest of the season. ( I think it was his senior year)

One is not paid to play college ( at least not USM we are not OSU :P ) and yet he was out there before doctors wanted him to.

Farve plays only one way, for one reason and money has nothing to do with it!

TheEnforcer
02-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Feb 1 2005, 06:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Feb 1 2005, 06:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Feb 1 2005, 06:14 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-pushpills@Feb 1 2005, 05:25 PM

Anybody who thinks Brett Favre is a paycheck player is a total and complete moron. Period. End of story.

In college Farve had a car accident and had 6 feet of his intestines taken out. He was in critical shape. They thought he would miss at least 6 games to start the season.

First game of season we were playing Tulane in NO, and USM was down 21-0 at half with 2nd string QB.

Farve came out, in OBVIOUS pain in 2nd half, to lead USM to a 35-38 victory. He played the rest of the season. ( I think it was his senior year)

One is not paid to play college ( at least not USM we are not OSU :P ) and yet he was out there before doctors wanted him to.

Farve plays only one way, for one reason and money has nothing to do with it! [/b][/quote]
:wnw: :wnw: :wnw:

Great post Mike!!

Vick
02-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by DaddysGirl+Feb 1 2005, 05:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DaddysGirl @ Feb 1 2005, 05:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Vick@Feb 1 2005, 04:58 PM

Brett is my favorite QB and Im sad to see him walk away from the game..he played the position better and more intensely than most :cryin: [/b][/quote]
No I am very serious
Take a look at the number for Marino's last year compared with the rest of his career

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/MariDa00.htm

See 1999
12 TD passing 17 interceptions, completed 55% of his passes - lowest in his career

Was Dan Marino a great QB deserving of being in the hall of fame - yes
Was he a cry baby who had great receivers - yes
He never won the big one

The saddest thing was watching a great QB playing after his skills deteriorated

Vick
02-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Also regarding Farve
He played through some very challenging person times
He was there for his teammates and us the fans

Maybe it's time he gets to have a personal life and be there full time for his family when they need him

I'd say thank you Brett Farve for a lot of excitement, being an excellent player who went above and beyond the call, thank you for giving us the opportunity to enjoy and cheer your efforts on the field, giving us a lot of great memories but most of all thank you for being a man we could respect and admire

DaddysGirl
02-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Vick+Feb 1 2005, 07:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Vick @ Feb 1 2005, 07:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by DaddysGirl@Feb 1 2005, 05:29 PM

No I am very serious
Take a look at the number for Marino's last year compared with the rest of his career

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/MariDa00.htm

See 1999
12 TD passing 17 interceptions, completed 55% of his passes - lowest in his career

Was Dan Marino a great QB deserving of being in the hall of fame - yes
Was he a cry baby who had great receivers - yes
He never won the big one

The saddest thing was watching a great QB playing after his skills deteriorated [/b][/quote]
You are forgetting that he only started 11 games his last year, so of course his stats will be lower...

dantheman
02-02-2005, 11:17 AM
That is very sad, Brett is my sons fav QB and one of mine also. One of my freinds from here Curly Hallman was the head coach when Brett was at SM and I got to meet him later when he was a pro. One of the best guys I've got to meet over the years.

I hope he goes one more year.