PDA

View Full Version : So what's going on in SEO?

Almighty Colin
01-26-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm really out of the loop on SEO these days. So whats going on? What percentage of SEO income comes from google? Who are the other competitors?

Titan
01-26-2005, 08:27 AM
wow colin thats a nice open question but the answers arent so easy on this one

it all depends which search engines you optimise for as google and yahoo the two main ones are using different algorithms and therefore if u optimise for one ur not going to do aswell in the other

right now 80% of my se traffic is google and i do pretty well from it conversions wise if im promoting the product well

Almighty Colin
01-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Titan@Jan 26 2005, 08:28 AM
right now 80% of my se traffic is google and i do pretty well from it conversions wise if im promoting the product well
Where do AOL search results come from these days?

Almighty Colin
01-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Where do you submit to get results in Yahoo?

mojobill
01-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Yahoo is starting to catch up, traffic wise..... the jury is still out on MSN, expecially with their jumbled results of their 'beta' SE release.... but I expect that to be sorted out, just as Yahoo!'s algo mess of a couple update's ago was...

for Mainstream type traffic, I've been most pleased with Yahoo! and MSN tho.... but as Titan said... optimizing for those, is totally different from what you need on Google.... Largley, I made the decision to tell Google to kiss my ass, and went with Yahoo! / MSN LOL

Almighty Colin
01-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by fatbaby@Jan 26 2005, 09:32 AM
Yahoo is starting to catch up, traffic wise..... the jury is still out on MSN, expecially with their jumbled results of their 'beta' SE release.... but I expect that to be sorted out, just as Yahoo!'s algo mess of a couple update's ago was...
How do you get in Yahoo? All I know about is the paid listings.

mojobill
01-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Yahoo!'s spider ( Slurp ) is an active little bugger.... I mainly link from existing spidered sites.... of course they do have a free submission option too!

Titan
01-26-2005, 10:09 AM
colin if you optimise ur site with keywords , meta tags , descriptions , anchor tags , descriptions on images , naming your files what your files what u think people would type into a search engine to find them. the same with pages you are making the search engines will pick your pages up once u add in a robot.txt to get the pages spidered - just have them revisit every week and yeah slurp is an active bugger - i usually once a week get about 40 of them at once combing my forums and forums archives

Almighty Colin
01-26-2005, 01:47 PM
How do the paid listings at yahoo do?

Almighty Colin
01-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Titan@Jan 26 2005, 10:10 AM
colin if you optimise ur site with keywords , meta tags , descriptions , anchor tags , descriptions on images , naming your files what your files what u think people would type into a search engine to find them. the same with pages you are making the search engines will pick your pages up once u add in a robot.txt to get the pages spidered - just have them revisit every week and yeah slurp is an active bugger - i usually once a week get about 40 of them at once combing my forums and forums archives
Yeah, we're pretty lazy about that stuff nowadays. How much traffic can a good listing generate? Worth taking the trouble for one url?

Not really interested in building a page rank generating network. These days it is easier to pay someone else who is doing that for their traffic.

Titan
01-26-2005, 02:40 PM
its good to have that choice colin .. i didnt which is how i learned what i know ..

babesandstuff right now gets about 20k uniques per day
60% of that is search engine traffic so about 12k per day from the search engines for all types of words and phrases

Almighty Colin
01-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Titan@Jan 26 2005, 02:41 PM
babesandstuff right now gets about 20k uniques per day
60% of that is search engine traffic so about 12k per day from the search engines for all types of words and phrases
excellent :-)

nickdark
01-27-2005, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin@Jan 26 2005, 06:31 AM

Where do AOL search results come from these days?
http://www.bruceclay.com/searchenginechart.pdf

Not sure how up to date this is now..looks ok.

nickdark
01-27-2005, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by fatbaby@Jan 26 2005, 06:32 AM

for Mainstream type traffic, I've been most pleased with Yahoo! and MSN tho.... but as Titan said... optimizing for those, is totally different from what you need on Google.... Largley, I made the decision to tell Google to kiss my ass, and went with Yahoo! / MSN LOL
Well said!

..especially with the sandbox syndrome...lots of theories why..I go with the boosting money terms/adwords scenario!

Yahoo traffic is more productive too...aol was the best ..sniff.For a lot of adult terms aol have a nightsurf type solution called fantasyfinder which SUCKS...it can be passed by ,like nightsurf ,but most surfers will use it.. I suspect :(

bummer
01-27-2005, 11:57 AM
hello colin.

here is where you can submit to yahoo.

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=s...om/free/request (https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=srch&.done=http://submit.search.yahoo.com/free/request)

right now, a lot of my traffic is coming from yahoo, with no paid listings. and waiting to see what msn does when their listings when things stabilize there.

yahoo traffic for me converts a lot better than when i had mostly google traffic. about 30% better, i would say.

right now, google's results seem not to be really that fresh, the same goes for yahoo. msn, on the other hand is listing new stuff in 48 hours or less usually.

as for google and their "sandbox". i think it's a way to force site owners into paying for hits.

keep in mind, right now, there is a search engine war going on and the spiders are real active.

Colin, if you ever want to talk seo, hit me up on icq. 79493698

Almighty Colin
01-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Bummer, thanks for the link.

steved
01-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin@Jan 26 2005, 06:41 AM
How do you get in Yahoo? All I know about is the paid listings.

If you have any blogs, you can ping their server and the spider will get to your site.
I get the best coversions and traffic from blogs because of the Google, AOL, MSN, AltaVista and Yahoo traffic. You can go to http://pingomatic.com/ to ping many places whenever you update your blog.

If you don't have a blog, nevermind:)

fraggle
01-27-2005, 05:57 PM
I just got these stats from about 500k hits across a month

Yahoo seems to vary from this (lowest ive seen it on a site is 6% to 60%)
The site with about 60% was actually cloaked domains we were using with spider traps behind them and mainly becuase most of the domains were not getting hit after a few weeks by google (they didnt like it naturally :) )

Yahoo Just made an update (it seems) trying to filter out duplicate pages and heavy cross linking between and inside sites - dont quote me on that tho - just seeing it on a couple :)

1 way links from article style pages work well for PR transfer and Keyword boost in Google :)

Google 68.1 %
Yahoo 21.4 %
MSN 4.7 %
AltaVista 1.4 %
Netscape 1.2 %
AOL 0.8 %
Google (Images) 0.4 %
Alexa 0.2 %
Baidu 0.2 %
Unknown SE's 0.2 %
Dogpile 0.1 %
Hotbot 0.1 %