PDA

View Full Version : Workshop of Leonardo da Vinci discovered?

Almighty Colin
01-26-2005, 06:41 AM
ROME (Reuters) - A forgotten workshop of Leonardo da Vinci, complete with 500-year-old frescos and a secret room to dissect human cadavers, has been discovered in Florence, Italy, researchers said on Tuesday.

The find was made in part of the Santissima Annunziata convent, which let out rooms to artists centuries ago and where the likely muse of the Renaissance artist's masterwork, the Mona Lisa, may have worshipped.

"It's a bit absurd to think that, in 2005, we have found the studio of one of history's greatest artists. But that is what has happened," said Roberto Manescalchi, one of three researchers credited for this month's discovery.

"The proof is on the walls."

Frescos adorning part of the workshop were left undisturbed over the centuries and gradually forgotten. The wing of the convent was eventually split by a wall and is partially claimed today by the Institute of Military Geography.

In a slide-show presentation to media, Manescalchi pointed to one colorful fresco with a character conspicuously missing from the foreground.

The white silhouette bore a striking resemblance to da Vinci's painting of the archangel Gabriel, who appears in his "Annunciation" hanging in Florence's Uffizi gallery.

Manescalchi, who refers to the silhouette as "The Ghost," told reporters it was not clear to him whether the angel was removed or perhaps never completed.

The walls were also adorned with paintings of birds, one of which strongly resembled a sketch from da Vinci's "Atlantic Codex," a 1,286-page collection of drawings and writings by the painter, sculptor, inventor and scientist.

Another painting was similar to a drawing in da Vinci's codex on the flight of birds

Manescalchi speculated that da Vinci had assistants in his workshop and probably used a "secret" corner room for his dissections of human corpses, aimed at improving his understanding of anatomy.

While some experts have cautioned that it is still too early to say Manescalchi has found da Vinci's studio, the researcher, who made the discovery earlier this month, was convinced further research would back up his claims.

"It's easy to say 'It's not true'," he said.

"I didn't paint the Angel's ghost."

The find has sparked speculation that while da Vinci was using the workshop, he might have met the probable model for the Mona Lisa, Lisa Gherardini, wife of a Florentine merchant whose family had a chapel in the Santissima Annunziata.

Da Vinci is thought to have painted the Mona Lisa after he presumably left the convent, but Manescalchi said he was reviewing documents for evidence that the two met during his stay there from 1501 to 1502.

"We are researching," he said, adding that thousands of da Vinci's papers were still missing.

"This is still a fresh discovery."

Evil Chris
01-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Yes I read about that.

That's simply amazing.

Almighty Colin
01-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Jan 26 2005, 02:31 PM
Yes I read about that.

That's simply amazing.
It's awesome, isn't it? Lost things. Gives me hope that a forgotten text by Plato will show up or something.

Dravyk
01-26-2005, 02:56 PM
The amount of "things" discovered, found, unearthed, figured out in the past four or five decades is simply astounding! Hell, in the past 10 years is staggering. Think about it.

The Gnostic Texts, over 100 not-ready-for-the-Bible gospels ... Machu Pichu ... That the Santorini island was a giant volcano whose tidal wave took out the Minoans ... Aviatrix, the missing link, that birds did indeed come from dinosaurs, specifically the Raptor (which wasn't even known forty years ago) ... the burial mound in Ireland that predates the Pyramids by one or two thousand years ... the Gilgamesh legend showing (one of the places) where the Noah flood story came from ... sooo much more ...

The history book is being rewritten almost daily now as our previous understanding of things-past continue to be turned on their head.

TheEnforcer
01-26-2005, 02:56 PM
I lost out on Leonardo's Workshop by one turn last night on Civilization III: Conquests last night damnit!! :steemed:

That said, what an incredible find!! I'd love to be able to pore over all that stuff. Would be an incredible experience!! :rokk:

gigi
01-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Extremely exciting! I can't wait to see photos of the works!

:rokk:

Mike AI
01-26-2005, 03:10 PM
This is awesome..... would love to see in person!

Almighty Colin
01-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Drav, check this out. In this news this week.

(BBC) -- Archaeologists in Iraq believe they may have found the lost tomb of King Gilgamesh - the subject of the oldest "book" in history.

The Epic Of Gilgamesh - written by a Middle Eastern scholar 2,500 years before the birth of Christ - commemorated the life of the ruler of the city of Uruk, from which Iraq gets its name.

Now, a German-led expedition has discovered what is thought to be the entire city of Uruk - including, where the Euphrates once flowed, the last resting place of its famous King.

"I don't want to say definitely it was the grave of King Gilgamesh, but it looks very similar to that described in the epic," Jorg Fassbinder, of the Bavarian department of Historical Monuments in Munich, told the BBC World Service's Science in Action programme.

Magnetic

In the book - actually a set of inscribed clay tablets - Gilgamesh was described as having been buried under the Euphrates, in a tomb apparently constructed when the waters of the ancient river parted following his death.

"We found just outside the city an area in the middle of the former Euphrates river? the remains of such a building which could be interpreted as a burial," Mr Fassbinder said.

He said the amazing discovery of the ancient city under the Iraqi desert had been made possible by modern technology.

"By differences in magnetisation in the soil, you can look into the ground," Mr Fassbinder added.

"The difference between mudbricks and sediments in the Euphrates river gives a very detailed structure."

This creates a magnetogram, which is then digitally mapped, effectively giving a town plan of Uruk.

'Venice in the desert'

"The most surprising thing was that we found structures already described by Gilgamesh," Mr Fassbinder stated.

"We covered more than 100 hectares. We have found garden structures and field structures as described in the epic, and we found Babylonian houses."

But he said the most astonishing find was an incredibly sophisticated system of canals.

"Very clearly, we can see in the canals some structures showing that flooding destroyed some houses, which means it was a highly developed system.

"[It was] like Venice in the desert."

Dravyk
01-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin@Jan 26 2005, 07:24 PM
Drav, check this out. In this news this week.

(BBC) -- Archaeologists in Iraq believe they may have found the lost tomb of King Gilgamesh - the subject of the oldest "book" in history.
Awesome! And proves my point. Almost something every day.

There's a place in South America that has had no excavation yet. It's a giant grassy hill or mini-mountain from the outside. Radar and other measurements, and the reputation of some guy who has a stellar archelogical rep, say beneath that hill lies a pyramid that would dwarf the Great Pyramid of Eqypt.

Eddie
01-27-2005, 03:18 PM
All very cool stuff. I love this kind of stuff, I find myself watching history and tlc and discovery all the time :)

Nickatilynx
01-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Eddie@Jan 27 2005, 12:19 PM
All very cool stuff. I love this kind of stuff, I find myself watching history and tlc and discovery all the time :)
Same here.

This stuff is incredible :)

Maybe , they will soon find the first page of the Bible that says

"All persons and events are fictional and bear no.."

;-)))

Prolly why The Dead sea scrolls are so closely guarded ;-))