PDA

View Full Version : Do It Yourself SEO

Titan
01-26-2005, 06:20 AM
Step One

Build a site without session ID's. Build a site which either has static URLs are URLs that appear to be static. The fewer parameters in the URL, the better. After all, what's the use of optimizing a page if it's never going to make it into the search engine's index?

Step Two

On page SEO is the stuff, oddly enough, on your pages. Most importantly, put your keywords first in the title element:

<TITLE>Web Hosting - Rated #1 by Slanted Reviews.com</TITLE>

The factors to consider are:

Keywords in the heading tags:

<H1>Seattle Web Hosting</H1>

Meta Keywords:

<meta name="keywords" content="web hosting, cpanel hosting, seattle hosting, web host, quality hosting, webhost, webhosting, PHP host">

Meta Description

<meta name="description" content="Web Hosting by V7. Rated #1 by Slanted Reviews.com. We support PHP, MySQL and a bunch of other stuff.">

Folder and File Names

Bad:

www.v7inc.com/tutorial/cpanel_xv2_POP.htm

This URL may include the word "cpanel" and "POP", but it is seperated by an underscore instead of a hyphen, Google cannot parse those keywords.

The search: site:www.v7inc.com cpanel pop

Doesn't return that page.

Instead, use the hyphen:

http://www.v7inc.com/flash-tutorials.php

Anchor Text

Wrong:

Navigate to my Business Hosting Page by Clicking Here

Unless you are targeting the keywords "Clicking" and "Here", that isn't going to help you much.

Correct:
Navigate to my Business Hosting

Descriptive anchor text. It works wonders.

Body Copy Keyword Density and Prominence

Without Keyword Density:

You'll love our services.

Include the keywords:

You'll love our web hosting.

Low keyword Prominence:

High Keyword Prominence:

Web Hosting is what you'll love.

Keyword first, you see.

Bold Text:

Italicized Text:

NOTE: The above mentioned items are "on page SEO". They tend to make your pages look uglier. You need not use all of those, or any of those. They are simply factors that the search engine may consider, and you may pick and choose which items you wish to use and which you'd rather not use.

Step Three

Now you need to build links.

First step, general web directories: these are all directories that john scott has included but ive not included them as links in this article as they are mostly paid submissions services and you wont need to use them all anyway

BlueFind

SevenSeek

Uncover the Net

ThisIsOurYear

Wow Directory

GoGuides

Skaffe

JoeAnt

Zeal

Gimpsy

Yahoo!

Then move on to the topical web directories. You can find web directories to you're heart's content here:

http://www.isedb.com/

Second Step In Link Building

Now you want to get linked to from every related site there is. Many rigional library sites have mini-directories and resource pages. If applicable, email the webmaster and suggest thery link to your super duper site.

You may also write articles on a given topic and allow webmasters to use them in exchange for a link-back. Or, submit online press releases to related news sites.

After that, just use your imagination. Links can be generated in thousands of ways.

It should be noted that to fully benefit from the links, the achor text of the links should describe your product/services.

In Summary

There you have it. It's simpler than being potty trained. But this is just SEO. Effectively marketing a product or service entails a lot more than just search engine traffic. But we'll discuss that later.

Joes Traffic
01-27-2005, 06:29 AM
Make sure you optimize the page people link to the most from outside your site as that is what Google will give the highest PR to.

fraggle
01-27-2005, 06:08 PM
nice article titan :)

is anyone getting much benefit from using title="" attibute in links now?

Titan
01-28-2005, 03:33 AM
once i established a decent pr on my site the title = will rerank me as i change it to meet new news and usually on page one of whatever im looking to rank for

Coldmeat
01-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Titan@Jan 26 2005, 03:21 AM
Step One

Build a site without session ID's. Build a site which either has static URLs are URLs that appear to be static. The fewer parameters in the URL, the better. After all, what's the use of optimizing a page if it's never going to make it into the search engine's index?
If you need to use session ids, block search engines from seeing them like this:

if (!stristr($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] ,'Googlebot') && !stristr($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] ,'InternetSeer') && !stristr($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] ,'slurp@inktomi.com;'))

session_start();

Joes Traffic
01-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Titan@Jan 26 2005, 03:21 AM
Build a site without session ID's.

You'll need sessions for when people register and keep the the search engine out of the login area. Personally, I wouldn't mind keeping all search engines off my site. They really like to fuck with my trade scripts.

Titan
01-29-2005, 12:02 PM
joe im not 100% sure but im almost positive theres a way to get them to completly ignore some pages on ur site using robot.txt i can find out but im almost certain if u can get it to exclude certain pages u can get it to ignore the sites altogether