PDA

View Full Version : Email Clients

kath
01-23-2005, 02:10 AM
I'm sick of Outlook. My foray into the world of new browsers has encouraged me to seek something new. I'm tired of Outlook crashing, refusing to send emails and lagging all the time.

What do you use? Why do you like it?

I tried Eudora last night and had probs sending - but receiving was SUPER fast. Saw some relay fixes today and might give it a 2nd try, but before I do was wondering if I could get some input from folks here. I know I'm not the only one looking for an alternative to MS.

B)

SykkBoy
01-23-2005, 02:37 AM
netscape mail

grimm
01-23-2005, 02:59 AM
gmail baby!:) and eudora occasionally. I like to keep my mail online, that way i dont have to deal with email clients.

if im actually on my linux box.. its pine or mutt.

Lisa
01-23-2005, 02:59 AM
Pegasus ( http://www.pmail.com ) ...for years and years now.

It's extremely functional, tho it will take some getting used to some of the more obscure features. But once you get into it, you'll love it.

And it's free. :)

Hell Puppy
01-23-2005, 03:05 AM
I've been a diehard Eudora user since the early 90's. But have switched to Thunderbird in the last couple of months. Although it hasn't passed the test of time with me yet, so far it rocks.

It has successfully gotten a handle on my spam and handles my volume and all of the different accounts I have wired up flawlessly. It even imported my years of Eudora mail with no problem (though I did have to let it run overnight to do that as I also have mail in those boxes dating back to the early 90's).

No real faults with it so far, learning curve wasn't that tough as it is kind of a blend of Eudora and Outlook in terms of look and feel.

It's also from the Mozilla foundation, same people who do Firefox:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Same client is also built into the latest Netscape suites, but I prefer my email to be stand alone.

My second choice for email client these days would be web based....GMail.

HoneyBlond
01-23-2005, 08:20 AM
Eudora is my client of choice for the simplicity of backing up your mail,
simply copy the folder & your done :)

I *HATE* the export/import crap with Outlook it is so fiddly :angry:

Peaches
01-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy@Jan 23 2005, 04:06 AM
I've been a diehard Eudora user since the early 90's. But have switched to Thunderbird in the last couple of months. Although it hasn't passed the test of time with me yet, so far it rocks.
Same, but change months to weeks :)

venturi
01-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Outlook for me (not OutlookExpress).

Been using it for over 10yrs - and I still have emails from 10yrs ago (yes, I am an email packrat, LOL).

I've gotten bitten a couple times with malare and/or a true virus/trojan in that time but I've also gotten pretty good at blocking the crap as well. I recently bought MailWasher to use as my spam filter. It's great. Lots of flexibility to pick and choose those items/senders I don't want to ever deal with.

Newton
01-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Outlook 2003 and gmail accounts, I keep all mails too ;) (express bites) I never have any problems with it or any spam issues as it is getting smarter.

Almighty Colin
01-23-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by grimm@Jan 23 2005, 03:00 AM
gmail baby!:) and eudora occasionally. I like to keep my mail online, that way i dont have to deal with email clients.

if im actually on my linux box.. its pine or mutt.
Damn, I used to pine. Many years ago.

Almighty Colin
01-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by grimm@Jan 23 2005, 03:00 AM
gmail baby!:)
Does gmail have a "rules wizard"? I like all emails from my contacts list to go to a separate folder.

Newton
01-23-2005, 02:26 PM
It does have filters ..

Create a Filter
Choose search criteria - Specify the criteria you'd like to use for determining what to do with a message as it arrives. Use "Test Search" to see which messages would have been filtered using these criteria.

Invite sent to you, try it out see what you think. If anyone else wants an invite just holla, I still personally have a couple left, and i know others on the board have some too.

kath
01-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Well.... I got some ICQs as well and the big vote was for Thunderbird. Tried it - love it.... so far. It was VERY easy to import everything over from Outlook and it's already loading like 10x faster - and no more pop-up nasty messages from Norton when I send (Norton and Outlook weren't playing nicely the last month or so)...

Thanks for all the input. If this doesn't work out, I at least have a good solid list here to check out again.

*crossing fingers* .... but I hope Thunderbird keeps on keeping on! :yowsa:

overdose
01-25-2005, 04:32 AM
Im using FireFox and Outlook.

Dravyk
01-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Been using Eudora for ... geez, 10-11 years now? What more can I say about it?

Almighty Colin
01-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Newton - XXXAmigoz@Jan 23 2005, 02:27 PM
Invite sent to you, try it out see what you think. If anyone else wants an invite just holla, I still personally have a couple left, and i know others on the board have some too.
You did? I don't have anything from you.

Newton
01-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin+Jan 25 2005, 10:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Almighty Colin @ Jan 25 2005, 10:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Newton - XXXAmigoz@Jan 23 2005, 02:27 PM
You did? I don't have anything from you. [/b][/quote]
Weird, it has been sent as i have one less invite to send but it hasnt come back as saying recieved either. I will send another to you and see what happens ;)

Newton
01-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Almighty Colin, glad you got it finally, enjoy ;)