PDA

View Full Version : Linux

Forest
01-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Does anyone was Linux on the pc as the os?

what are your thoughts opposed to windows

sarettah
01-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Forest@Jan 20 2005, 07:23 PM

Lots of folks have Linux on the desktop... Like at least 4 or 5% of all users.... :yowsa:

Personally, I am very opposed to windows because they can be used improperly by law enforcement folks.

:blink:

Almighty Colin
01-20-2005, 07:26 PM
I did until about two years ago. Windows now. Better software.

grimm
01-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Forest@Jan 20 2005, 04:23 PM

I have a redhat box, i just tinker with it.

OSX is far stronger. BSD with a better interface.

darksoft
01-20-2005, 09:04 PM
I tried it as a desktop a while back but it's just not ready for prime time. It's great as a server OS tho.

Cleo
01-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by grimm+Jan 20 2005, 08:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (grimm @ Jan 20 2005, 08:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Forest@Jan 20 2005, 04:23 PM

OSX is far stronger. BSD with a better interface. [/b][/quote]
Mac OS X… the power of UNIX with the ease of a Mac. :nyanya:

Spw Guru
01-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Duel boot. Windows xp and Free BSD.

Windows is great for all the submission tools and image editors but for email surfing and server admin BSD is so much better.

Forest
01-21-2005, 11:46 AM
we need it just to connect to the internet and surf to a website

would linux work well for this?>

Cleo
01-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Looks like it to me
http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

Spw Guru
01-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Forest@Jan 21 2005, 08:47 AM
we need it just to connect to the internet and surf to a website

would linux work well for this?>
LOL well yes it would but if you don't know much about computers or are not willing to read a tutorial or 2 windows is still your best bet.

venturi
01-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Xandros (http://www.xandros.com/) is a decent Linux "workstation" if you just are looking for a basic machine running on Linux. Very Windows-esque interface so the adjustment from Winbloze to Linux is pretty easy. It is NOT a Linux Server OS, though.

grimm
01-21-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Cleo+Jan 20 2005, 06:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cleo @ Jan 20 2005, 06:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by grimm@Jan 20 2005, 08:10 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Forest@Jan 20 2005, 04:23 PM

OSX is far stronger. BSD with a better interface.
Mac OS X… the power of UNIX with the ease of a Mac. :nyanya: [/b][/quote]
check this fucker out

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...?family=Macmini (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=Macmini)

grimm
01-21-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Spw Guru@Jan 21 2005, 08:34 AM
Duel boot. Windows xp and Free BSD.

Windows is great for all the submission tools and image editors but for email surfing and server admin BSD is so much better.
you can do the same with Lilo... boot as many different OS's as you want.

Cleo
01-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Forest didn't say why he was interested in Linux but he did say that he just wants to surf the web and do e-mail so I'm guessing it is because of virus, spyware, and stuff like that.

Mac OS X may be a better choice then since it is boot and play with no reading the manuals required.

boldy
01-22-2005, 06:50 AM
My laptop is my only Windows machine . I run linux on my workstations for more than 5 years now. I think its a better more stable solution than windows. You should have some knowledge about linux to get full advantage of the power of the OS . Like kernel tweaking, upgrading and installing drivers, hardrive tuning etc. If you dont do that, linux can be very slow and instable.

Other than that ... Linux rocks as a workstation and server. Remotethumbs runs on linux :rokk:

cd34
01-22-2005, 01:12 PM
I have used Linux on my laptop (which is my only machine) since October 2001.

I use Debian (where else can I also have a complete portable development environment that matches my hosting environment).

If I were starting out, and wasn't technically minded, Linux isn't for the faint of heart when it comes to a desktop OS. There are things that still irritate me to this day regarding functionality, although, it is getting better.

If you were going to consider Linux as a desktop and you are moving from Windows, Xandros (as previously mentioned) is the way to go. Crisp and professional, it does what it needs to do and virtually emulates the windows look and feel. Xandros Pro includes Crossover Office and Crossover Plugin, which allow you to run native Windows Apps in Linux -- for the ultimate in compatibility with your existing Windows machine. Crossover does seem to have problems running Quickbooks and printing.

Then there's Linspire -- Lindows Renamed. Walmart sells it on their Linux PCs. Short and to the point, it works, its pretty simple. It is also based on Debian.

I haven't looked at Ubuntu personally, but, both of my tech guys rave about its 'ease of use'.

If you wanted to see Linux on your machine without having to format a disk, etc. Go to http://www.knoppix.net/ and download Knoppix's LiveCD. Yes, you boot up on the CD and have a fully functioning version of (again Debian) Linux with KDE. No need to format the hard drive, no need to repartition, just slap in the CD and boot it up. Its fairly good at detecting most major brands of hardware.

Then there's MacOS/X which is based on FreeBSD.

You could also use FreeBSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD -- they are all unix varients and have fairly complete packages.

There aren't many applications out there that don't have a competing Linux/Unix version.

Microsoft Office -> http://www.openoffice.org/ (also runs on windows)
Photoshop -> Gimp (some people say it is more powerful than Photoshop. I don't do graphics and could never figure out either PhotoShop or Gimp for doing simple stuff, so, I rotate pictures using the linux command line)
Dreamweaver can run under Crossover Office (I use vi for my webpage design so I don't know what other web tools there are)
Quicken -> gnuCash
Microsoft Project -> Planner (well, this isn't a great reproduction, but, it is getting better. Early versions it looked like they would press a button, see what changed and try to replicate the function. Don't see a change, well, leave the button there, it might be important.)
Internet Explorer -> Firefox (you can also run Firefox on windows, etc)
ACDSee -> Gtksee, gthumb (gtksee is almost a clone, although, I haven't used it since they did a rewrite)
WinAmp -> XMMS (virtual clone)
NetMeeting -> GnomeMeeting (yes, you can even videoconference with Microsoft Netmeeting)

Overall, you'll find that the more popular the hardware is that you have, the fewer issues you will have getting the drivers working. Your ATI or GForce card will probably work rather seamlessly. Your Taiwanese Hercules Clone with the special 4D megahyperaccellerator -- probably not so much. :)

Lilo or Grub (or any of the other bootloaders) will allow you to run multiple OSs. When I bought my last laptop, I resized the NTFS partition (so that I could keep WinXP on there if I ever needed it) and installed Debian. I also left 10gb for FreeBSD or whatever else I wanted to use. Grub comes up, defaults into linux, but, I can choose WinXP if I want.

My nephew's machine has Debian, WinXP and Win98 (one game he plays only works on Win98). It defaults into WinXP -- although, last summer he was in Linux quite a bit.