PDA

View Full Version : Companies and Their Representatives

Dravyk
01-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Think it's time for a general discussion on this topic. Seen it here a few months ago and a lot this past week. Some spam threads here that have been locked or moved or killed. Not just here though, not by a long shot. It's on other boards too, just about all the other boards in fact, where there have been recent blowups and or bans or censoring or chaos too. In short, seems to be prevelent everywhere in the past few months and more so since Internext.

Marketing reps or glorified posters or sig whore's who have no clue as to what they're saying. They don't participate in threads, or they do drive-bys, or they are so see-thru and lame in their posting that it's alternately laughable, pathethic or majorly annoying. Or posting solely when their "keywords" pop in Boards Scanner or Board Tracker or whatever, usually not to return after.

In short ... WTF are these companies thinking??? It's pretty damned obvious that these various folks nowadays are pretty damned sub-calibre. They create more anomosity then they do affiliate joins or sales; in fact, if they don't actually create loss of business it would be shocking. They make the companies they repesent look bad, just plain bad. The adage that even bad publicity is good has been easily disproven by these folks.

Not naming names, not companies, not reps. We all have our own list of names in our minds, so why bother. I just want to know what the hell are the managers or owners of these companies thinking??? Do they get these folks from McDonalds or their wife's nephew or their girlfriend or what?

What kind of training do they give them before letting them loose? Apparently none. What are their qualifications? And mostly, why when they see them out there making fools of their companies, of their livlihood, do they not only let them continue doing it, but they often, either in front of everyone or behind the scenes, go defend these undefendables???

Has everybody gone nuts? What happened to the days when people were taught how to post before they post? How to market as oppose to spam? How to know the political landsacpe, who is connected to who and who is the adversary of who, and to keep those things in mind when they open their mouths (or type out their pixels)? All of this seems to have gone down the drain of late. And why has this spread like a plague where it's gone from the occasional clueless poster to cadres of "posting undead"?

Raven
01-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Let's open up a 'board whore' school.

We could charge each company a few dollars per whore and train these people how to read and post appropriately.

TheEnforcer
01-20-2005, 05:35 PM
heheh.. good post Dravyk.

Nickatilynx
01-20-2005, 05:36 PM
(cough)

I "invented" the board whore.

I covertly paid people to post on Netpond when I first became involved with it back in 97/98

:(

I'm sorry. It seemed a good idea at the time. She was good , caus e no one found out.

Morgan / Diction Nazi is in fact the first board whore.

Long before KK

;-)))

Isn't a good boardwhore one that no one realises is?

SykkBoy
01-20-2005, 05:38 PM
yeah board (evilgeniuscash) spammers (evilgeniuscash) and the marketing resp (evilgeniuscash) can get annoying, but some contribute (evilgeniuscash) to the conversation at hand (evilgeniuscash) and some like EvilGeniusCash makes their affiliates a lot of money

;-)))

Peaches
01-20-2005, 05:48 PM
I'm trying to remember "..the days when people were taught how to post before they post". :P

DrGuile
01-20-2005, 05:56 PM
SSR syndrom

Nickatilynx
01-20-2005, 05:57 PM
I read YNOT for months before I worked up the nerve to post.

Terrified that I'd post something really dumb...

Hell...

Now it is in fact fashionable to flaunt ones ignorance.

Lee
01-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Dravyk@Jan 20 2005, 02:13 PM
It's on other boards too, just about all the other boards in fact, where there have been recent blowups and or bans or censoring or chaos too. In short, seems to be prevelent everywhere in the past few months and more so since Internext.
Tell me about it LOL

The real character of the boards community comes out the days during and after such incidents happen though.

Whilst some boards revel in the fact that 'drama' has happened, others will go on with their day-to-day business like usual.

cj
01-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 20 2005, 05:37 PM
(cough)

I "invented" the board whore.

I covertly paid people to post on Netpond when I first became involved with it back in 97/98

:(

I'm sorry. It seemed a good idea at the time. She was good , caus e no one found out.

Morgan / Diction Nazi is in fact the first board whore.

Long before KK

;-)))

Isn't a good boardwhore one that no one realises is?
Nick, I was posting on Ynot with Intergal in my sig in early 1998 ..............

netpond wasn't around in 97/98 ..... condom only launched towards the end of 98 .... my first 6 months in the biz there was only ynot, then we all moved to condom, topniche came in there somewhere, I met Serge in New York in Jan 1999 & KK in Vegas, Netpond comes along in there somewhere, someone let the condom domain expire, hooper bought it, Mikeai hated us aussies & started ynottoppond, traffic inc/aga/meat saga, we all moved from netpond to oprano.

fuck, I'm going to need to remember some more of the details if we are ever going to write the book toyboy :rolleyes:

Nickatilynx
01-20-2005, 06:13 PM
Fucking newb.... ;-))))

Condom BECAME Netpond.

I was part of Condom , then I changed it with Meat to Netpond.

(sigh) kids today....

;-)))

The domain lapsed years later cause it was with Meat as the contact and he got the reminder rather than us.

Nickatilynx
01-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Mikeai hated us aussies & started ynottoppond, traffic inc/aga/meat saga, we all moved from netpond to oprano.

I hated MikeAI then too!!!

I mean I thought he was a hypocritical pompous prick , and he thjought I was an ammoral scammer.

oh...forget that we still do :)

But now I like him and respect him for it. LOL

Plus after the Netpond " unpleasantness" it was here or GFY........

And Serge was here...

And me grabbing Serge from YNOT was the best move I ever made ;-)))

SykkBoy
01-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 20 2005, 06:14 PM
Fucking newb.... ;-))))

Condom BECAME Netpond.

(sigh) kids today....

;-)))

The domain lapsed years later cause it was with Meat as the contact and he got the reminder rather than us.
remember the day NetPond was brown?
probably the most hidesou color scheme in a resource since...well, since they started...
I think it was coded in asp or something too and got trashed and revamped to the softer, gentler, more pleasing to the eye blue...

Lee
01-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Anyway ;)

I do beleive that the recent (read as in within the last 2 years) bouts of 'drama' hitting the various community forums have been spurred from the Zoo.

Sig whoring apparently, made a select few peole over there a fair amount of $$ and, as with anything, success breeds immitation and others started sig whoring whilst, at the same time, the 'perceieved' value in having a sig viewed because of the select few who 'sold' their sigs became a business model.

Of course, having a business model is fine and dandy but, unless you have a method of creating 'sig views' the business model means precisely squatt hence, board drama was born.

Shortly after sigs were being offered for sale by many in the industry both publicly and privately and, whilst this was a good way for lesser known affiliate programs to get additional exposure, at the same time, this also boosted the phenomenon even further drawing in large amounts of 'fake nicks' and surfers each offering their sigs for sale.

Then, at the same time as all of this is happening, we saw a boom in 'outsourcing' companies each with their own brand of 'sig whores' which again, cluttered up what was already a huge cluster fuck of sig whoring to begin with.

In essence, the success or, perceived success of one board, fucked the rest of the industries communities up.

It now seems that the more you post about actual 'business' the less chance you have of getting help and making money but, threads with such classy titles as 'would you hit it' and '[insert username] is a homo' get hundreds if not thousands of views.

All of that doesnt even take into account the sponsors who are now actively marketing 'contests' if a thread hits '10,000 replies' all of which contribute to the cluster fuck which is presently know as adult industry community boards.

Nickatilynx
01-20-2005, 06:26 PM
I fucking hated CONDOM!!!!

Thought them all wankers but was the only person friendly to Meat when he came into YNOT live chat as a newb.

Him and DK would post "Condom Rocks" on YNOT and I'd be posting "Fucking newbs , Condom sucks" LOL

Best was when Emerald lectured me on traffic once at CONDOM cause she had no idea who I was , til I think GG said..."Ummm Emerald...you are fighting outside your weightclass"

Then I spoke to meat and dragon king cause....someone...was it Tom at nationalnet was going to cut off their bandwidth unless he was paid.

There was some other stuff for the book , but we will leave those skeletons alone for now....lol

There was something before topniche...condoms splintergroup....formed by cyberglide and some others....

then came topniche..

SykkBoy
01-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 20 2005, 06:27 PM
There was something before topniche...condoms splintergroup....formed by cyberglide and some others....

UWEBCO

SykkBoy
01-20-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Lee@Jan 20 2005, 06:27 PM
Of course, having a business model is fine and dandy but, unless you have a method of creating 'sig views' the business model means precisely squatt hence, board drama was born.

do you really think GFY invented board drama?

cj
01-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 20 2005, 06:14 PM
Fucking newb.... ;-))))

Condom BECAME Netpond.

(sigh) kids today....

;-)))

LMAO

yes I remember the whole name change from condom to netpond and the big relaunch and the mass exodus from ynot .....

unlike some though, I am able to keep the years straight :P .... there are some benefits to only having been out of school for 4 years when I started in the biz :biglaugh:

but I can't give you credit for inventing the board whore - why do you think the general hired me? KK & I were whoring our employers products on ynot before condom was even thought of - often copied, never bettered ;-)

Nickatilynx
01-20-2005, 07:00 PM
OK...OK...

I agree.

You're a whore.

;-))))

And I may be a tad senile....

Lee
01-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy+Jan 20 2005, 03:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SykkBoy @ Jan 20 2005, 03:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lee@Jan 20 2005, 06:27 PM

do you really think GFY invented board drama? [/b][/quote]
Oh definately not, they just pushed it into the 'accepted norm' of day to day business for the vast majority of 'webmasters'.

JoesHO
01-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Boards are hard for new people to figure out, and sometimes the new guy might be the key to the next best thing everyone keeps searching for .....

cj
01-20-2005, 07:04 PM
LMAO
Nick, not just the whore, an original whore :rolleyes:

And I don't think its senility that has effected your memory HAHAAHHAHAHAHAAA

Almighty Colin
01-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by JoesHO1@Jan 20 2005, 07:05 PM
Boards are hard for new people to figure out, and sometimes the new guy might be the key to the next best thing everyone keeps searching for .....
It comes very naturally to some people. I can't figure out how pushpills is going to end up though.

Nickatilynx
01-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by JoesHO1@Jan 20 2005, 04:05 PM
True.

But in 98% of instances , he is an annoying dickhead , who returns to flipping burgers ;-))

and yes , CJ , the years 98 - 2004 are a bit blurry lol

SykkBoy
01-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Lee+Jan 20 2005, 07:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lee @ Jan 20 2005, 07:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by SykkBoy@Jan 20 2005, 03:51 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Lee@Jan 20 2005, 06:27 PM

do you really think GFY invented board drama?
Oh definately not, they just pushed it into the 'accepted norm' of day to day business for the vast majority of 'webmasters'. [/b][/quote]
actually, I saw that on YNOT ande Condom/NetPond as well

especially NetPond 2
we were labelled a trainwreck and a circus, yet it put bums in seats and advertisers lining up for advertising.

GFY definitely helped turn it into an art form, but NetPond 2 even proceeded GFY with anon posters (who weren't really that anon) ;-))

SykkBoy
01-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 20 2005, 07:08 PM
But in 98% of instances , he is an annoying dickhead , who returns to flipping burgers ;-))
bah
even McDonalds has SOME principles
;-))

Lee
01-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy@Jan 20 2005, 04:24 PM
actually, I saw that on YNOT ande Condom/NetPond as well

especially NetPond 2
we were labelled a trainwreck and a circus, yet it put bums in seats and advertisers lining up for advertising.

GFY definitely helped turn it into an art form, but NetPond 2 even proceeded GFY with anon posters (who weren't really that anon) ;-))
Sykk,

The differences between GFY, Ynot and Netpond 1+2 though are significant.

Ynot and Netpond, at their core are / were actually primarily business orientated forums, whilst GFY, was / is not.

I dont doubt that some business does get done on GFY however, it isnt the purpose of the board so far as the end users go.

Dravyk
01-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Ok, love this trip down memory lane. Have to change some "facts". I consider my start in the biz to be Jan 98. But actually my first site was built in September 97 (then hijacked then moved then moved then moved then lost in Holland -- er, long story, skip it.) And, like Nick, I spent a couple of month's watching YNOT before ever posting. So I know Condom started in summer of 97 (not end of 98).

Meat and DK kept mentioning Condom but they never put up the URL (so those new to reading YNOT never knew for some time that it was at condomproject.com and I finally found it Jan 98.

Anyways, still doesn't explain the moron epidemic. Yeah, sig whores of the past few years have something to do with it. But what regular Family member here at Oprano would ever PAY to have someone with the IQ of a jellybaby promote their program in such a way that they cause the company to lose respectability and lose sales?

No one here would!! Basic fucking business. We'd either yank them, give them another job, train them or axe them. And then we'd go on the boards after a single day -- stopping it immediately -- and say, "sorry about that folks; they don't work here anymore. They gave a bad impression of my company. We're nothing like that. I'm here to help if you have questions, etc."

None of us would keep the wankers on for months and months or years -- and we'd never run onto boards and defend their actions -- and then continue to keep them on the payroll. So what is with these folks???

Has an incredibly new level of ultra-cluelessness been tapped? And then what? Passed around like a disease? Seems that way.

Lee
01-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Dravyk, you are of course right.

However, it is worth mentioning that it isnt only the people who rep for specific companies that do what you mentioned, in some instances, its the company owners themselves.

Epic Trash for example yet, because of the mentality of todays 'webmaster' this type of behavior HAS (whether we accept / like it or not) become somewhat of a norm and as you said in your original post, it is spreading.

Hell even on Cozy Campus which i consider to be one of the more sane and friendly forums in the industry they had outbursts recently.

Then when you ban a disruptive board member, they get their friends and business associates to further disrupt the board on their behlaf (as happened on GWW recently).

As forum owners, we really are in a no win situation as long as this type of mentality continues to spread and, as long as it does continue to spread, the overall usefullness of those boards which do pride themselves on being businss orientated will continue to decline :(

grimm
01-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by cj+Jan 20 2005, 03:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cj @ Jan 20 2005, 03:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@Jan 20 2005, 06:14 PM
Fucking newb.... ;-))))

Condom BECAME Netpond.

(sigh) kids today....

;-)))

LMAO

yes I remember the whole name change from condom to netpond and the big relaunch and the mass exodus from ynot .....

unlike some though, I am able to keep the years straight :P .... there are some benefits to only having been out of school for 4 years when I started in the biz :biglaugh:

but I can't give you credit for inventing the board whore - why do you think the general hired me? KK & I were whoring our employers products on ynot before condom was even thought of - often copied, never bettered ;-) [/b][/quote]
i think your timetable might be off, cj... I remember everything from the beginning, including when dean came onto the scene (he bought a flat rate ad from my free sites, and i thought he was way older than he was because he was so professional, unlike others to remain nameless that i was used to dealing with *cough*:) I was young then, between 20-21 or so, so that was nine years ago..roughly 1996-1997.... so you were out of school for 4 years back then? I am older than you by two years which would have made you 19, in that case kudos for getting out of college at 15:). then again, i dont have the best memory when it comes to timelines outside my own.

grimm
01-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Man i am getting old.:)

kre8t0r
01-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Raven@Jan 20 2005, 02:25 PM
Let's open up a 'board whore' school.

We could charge each company a few dollars per whore and train these people how to read and post appropriately.
Now theres a plan! :okthumb:

Dravyk hit me up tomorrow if you can ICQ 431-910-34 :D

cj
01-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by grimm@Jan 20 2005, 08:05 PM
i think your timetable might be off, cj... I remember everything from the beginning, including when dean came onto the scene (he bought a flat rate ad from my free sites, and i thought he was way older than he was because he was so professional, unlike others to remain nameless that i was used to dealing with *cough*:) I was young then, between 20-21 or so, so that was nine years ago..roughly 1996-1997.... so you were out of school for 4 years back then? I am older than you by two years which would have made you 19, in that case kudos for getting out of college at 15:). then again, i dont have the best memory when it comes to timelines outside my own.
Grimm, WTF are you talking about?!

Where did I say *anything* about where the industry began?! We have been talking about the move from Ynot to condom & the evolution of the board whore ...

Seriously Grimm, I wish you'd read my posts before you comment. You do it all the time. If you don't like reading my posts, don't comment on what you *assume* I'm saying.

I didn't get into this biz until April 1998 - If everyone had moved to condom by then, how did I spend several months posting with Serge on Ynot & remember the mass exodus?

>>> :rolleyes:

Nickatilynx
01-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by cj@Jan 20 2005, 06:58 PM

I didn't get into this biz until April 1998 - If everyone had moved to condom by then, how did I spend several months posting with Serge on Ynot & remember the mass exodus?

:nyanya:

April 1998

AHA!!!!

But it does mean Morgan was the first board whore!!!!!!!!!

grimm
01-20-2005, 10:07 PM
cj.. i was jut trying to get my timetable straight, either im older than i think, or im misreading something. no accusation there.

:unsure:

grimm
01-20-2005, 10:09 PM
I honestly cant remember when condom became ynot.

cj
01-20-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx+Jan 20 2005, 10:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nickatilynx @ Jan 20 2005, 10:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cj@Jan 20 2005, 06:58 PM

April 1998

AHA!!!!

But it does mean Morgan was the first board whore!!!!!!!!!

:nyanya: [/b][/quote]
didn't she work for you, paid to keep the board busy?

we may have to split hairs here on the definition of a board whore :rolleyes:

:biglaugh:

whoring a board, or whoring stuff on a board :yowsa:

Where is morgan these days btw? Anyone know?

Dravyk
01-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by grimm@Jan 20 2005, 10:10 PM
Er .... March 10, 1999, give or take two days. :)

Prior to that, Condom was a single, private members-only board aimed only at newbies. Plans had been made a few weeks before to "open her up public" and add expand the base beyond just newbies with a bunch of new forums as well.

Then the YNOT fiasco between RickYNOT and Mojo, other people yelling at YNOT as well, Serge leaving and appearing at Condom, and the rest of the story ...

I remember it for a variety of reasons. Mostly though, I had been ready to quit at the time -- too little money for way lot of work -- and was seriously mulling it over at the time. As the events that were playing out were very obviously going to totally transform the landscape (and did) of the industry -- including bring a ton of more advertisers and money and powerbase over to Condom -- I had made the decision to stick around a bit longer.

Nickatilynx
01-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Dravyk+Jan 20 2005, 09:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dravyk @ Jan 20 2005, 09:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-grimm@Jan 20 2005, 10:10 PM
Er ....March 10, 1999, give or take two takes. :)

Prior to that, Condom was a single, private members-only board aimed only at newbies. Plans had been made a few weeks before to "open her up public" and add expand the base beyond just newbies with a bunch of new forums as well.

Then the YNOT fiasco between RickYNOT and Mojo, other people yelling at YNOT as well, Serge leaving and appearing at Condom, and the rest of the story ...

I remember it for a variety of reasons. Mostly though, I had been ready to quit at the time -- too little money for way lot of work -- and was seriously mulling it over at the time. As the events that were playing out were very obviously going to totally transform the landscape (and did) of the industry -- including bring a ton of more advertisers and money and powerbase over to Condom -- I had made the decision to stick around a bit longer. [/b][/quote]
Summary...

The day Dravyk asked me for a raise , and got it.

About 1000% I think ;-))))

Dravyk
01-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 21 2005, 12:04 AM
Summary...

True. I was now up to $20 a month. LMAO!

... Ok, it was a few bucks beyond that. :)

Nickatilynx
01-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Dravyk+Jan 20 2005, 09:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dravyk @ Jan 20 2005, 09:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@Jan 21 2005, 12:04 AM
Summary...

True. I was now up to $20 a month. LMAO!

... Ok, it was a few bucks beyond that. :) [/b][/quote]
after Kaiser took his cut you prolly owed him money!!!

(fuck it would have been funny if it wasn't true.)

Mike AI
01-21-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 20 2005, 05:58 PM

Hell...

:wnw:

That is a Pearl!!

:pearl:

Nickatilynx
01-21-2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Jan 20 2005, 09:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Jan 20 2005, 09:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@Jan 20 2005, 05:58 PM

Hell...

:wnw:

That is a Pearl!!

:pearl: [/b][/quote]
It is true too...don't get me on a rant...too late..

South Park raised it...as well actually..

Kids are being given roll models who are either moronic whores or street thugs.

Watch American Idol.Read GFY...this new generation , in the main , is fucked up.

Teenage boy "Gangstas" shooting at each other (they never learn to use a weapon so fortunately they miss) over "looking at me in a funny way"

A real gangsta ,I would imagine looks at many varied options before lethal force..

Its ridiculous ,maybe I am just getting old , but what the hell happened to ""get an education"......

Fuck!!! I am getting Old...

and I seem to be getting Conservative Right tendancies...

Fuck!!

;-)))

Mike AI
01-21-2005, 12:34 AM
Come to the dark side Nick!!

gonzo
01-21-2005, 02:29 AM
Re Sykks post on board drama....

Who cares where it originated.... Serge was the first to make it profitable!

grimm
01-21-2005, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by grimm@Jan 20 2005, 07:10 PM
correct that, condom became netpond.

I don't know what the fuck was wrong with me there. i need a reboot.

grimm
01-21-2005, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Dravyk+Jan 20 2005, 09:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dravyk @ Jan 20 2005, 09:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-grimm@Jan 20 2005, 10:10 PM
Er .... March 10, 1999, give or take two days. :)

I remember it for a variety of reasons. Mostly though, I had been ready to quit at the time -- too little money for way lot of work -- and was seriously mulling it over at the time. As the events that were playing out were very obviously going to totally transform the landscape (and did) of the industry -- including bring a ton of more advertisers and money and powerbase over to Condom -- I had made the decision to stick around a bit longer. [/b][/quote]
:headwall:

heh cool. glad you didnt notice the typo before the post:)

I remember the whys and hows, just a little fuzzy on the whens.